Eli Manning: Will He Get Into Canton?

Gugny

Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Yes, he will get in

First ballot depends if Brady, Brees, or Rothlesberger retires in the off season.  I don't see the HoF enshrining two big name QB in the same class

This is a great point.  I think they'd let Ben and Eli go in together.  I'm sure they'll want Brady to go in by himself.  That *****.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the name and super bowls get him in first ballot. He will be remembered as much better than he ever actually was. 
He was probably never a top 10 quarterback in the league but those super bowl rings will do the trick 

Agreed. 
He is in. Doesn’t hurt he played for New York either.

Of course Eli will get in. Manning slayed the Pats juggernaut twice. The only reason that people doubt his credentials is because they have started to assume that all HOF qbs should be like Brady and Brees where they are playing at a high level into their late 30s. HOF qbs of the past always had a drop off or injuries in their last couple of seasons and Manning was no different. If he doesn't get in, I always will be forever appreciative of him ruining the smarmy dbags perfect season! Thanks Eli!

• Like (+1) 1

It’s funny cause the antithesis argument will he used against Rivers- never won a Super Bowl, paper tiger, all stats. 

Eli is the only guy to punch the greatest dynasty ever in the mouth, and then come back and do it again. I don’t know how much that’s worth, but Terrell Davis is in the hall of fame widely as a result of a two year run in the most RB friendly system maybe ever... so it’s hard to say that Eli hanging to L’s on the ***** isn’t worthy.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  Just based on beating the patsies twice, once when they were undefeated.

Played 16 years.  Has a 84% career rating and only threw for less than 3200 yards twice - rookie season and last season.  366 TD’s and a bit heavy at 244 INT’s.

First ballot all the way.

Name recognition doesn’t hurt.

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

.500 career winning percentage and (correct me if I'm wrong) never led the NFL in passing during his career.  No way.

Joe Namath’s career record is 62-63-4 and his career completion percentage was 50.1%

I think Eli gets in but not in the first if nothing other than the NY centric media. He will always be in MY personal HOF because he and his team denied the Cheaters two more Super Bowl rings. :worthy:

Edited by Nanker

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is a great point.  I think they'd let Ben and Eli go in together.  I'm sure they'll want Brady to go in by himself.  That *****.

Here's an idea, the year Brady gets in, try to get non-Pats* fans to buy tickets to the ceremony, then not go. It could be the lowest turnout for a big name entry if done right. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He is almost certainly going to get in; 2 Super Bowl MVPs in 2 high drama victories over a team lead by the best QB of a generation makes him a near lock.

Whether it should be that way is another question imo

Don’t forget the 2011 road playoff win against a 15-1 team featuring a qb who had just had one of the greatest seasons ever (122.5 QB rating). Or the road win in the January 2008 NFC championship team as a heavy underdog in sub-zero weather.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he'll get in but he wouldn't have my vote. Just too many mediocre performances over the course of his career.

The two SB MVPs and the fact that they were against the Pats make it a great argument. I think he's a borderline HOFer, but I'm south of that border.

One comp which I'm not sure has been mentioned (search came up empty) is Plunkett. Both have 2 SBs, Manning has a 2-1 edge in SB MVP's and they both had .500 records. Eli's passing yards dwarf Plunkett's and Eli's iron man streak was amazing, but there is a precedent for a QB with two SB's to not get in.

Edited by SinceThe70s

2 hours ago, eball said:

I think the NFL Hall of Fame has morphed, in a sense, into the Hall of Longevity.  We seem to recognize players who stayed around a very long time even if they never really stood out as superstars.  Eli fits that description.  The throw/catch to Tyree should have its own display at the HOF...maybe it already does.

Eli gets in only because he's been around a long time?  I don't understand this argument.

He's top 10 all time in all individual QB stats, he truly led his team to  2 SBs and SB MVPs.  This was with mostly Joe Blows around him on Offense.  What future HOFers did he play with?  Tiki Barber??  Look at the absolute crap they have had at RB between 2006 and last year.  They had OBJ for 3 years (the they gave him away!).  They had 3 WR go over 1100 yards (one time each) in 10 seasons.  He was an iron man--#5 all time in starts.  In fact, until this year, once he was made starter, he missed 1 (one) start in his career.

Oh...but he never led the league in passing!

Let's think of another HOF QB who never led the league in passing--in fact isn't even in the top 25 career, whereas 2 of his draft cohort are in the top 10--and had zero SB wins (therefore zero SB MVPs), despite HOF talent on both sides of the ball and on the coaching staff.  Only played 4 full seasons out of 11.  One season with over 25 TDs.

Why is that guy in the HOF?

@Mr. WEO don't get your panties in a wad.  I didn't say Eli doesn't belong, I gave an opinion as to how I think the HOF has changed over the years.  Eli was never really considered a superstar but he had two tremendous playoff runs -- and he hung around for a very long time.  He'll get in.

Voted - Yes, eventually.

However, he was too pedestrian for too many stretches for me to instantly think HOF, I'm undecided...

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Eli gets in only because he's been around a long time?  I don't understand this argument.

He's top 10 all time in all individual QB stats, he truly led his team to  2 SBs and SB MVPs.  This was with mostly Joe Blows around him on Offense.  What future HOFers did he play with?  Tiki Barber??  Look at the absolute crap they have had at RB between 2006 and last year.  They had OBJ for 3 years (the they gave him away!).  They had 3 WR go over 1100 yards (one time each) in 10 seasons.  He was an iron man--#5 all time in starts.  In fact, until this year, once he was made starter, he missed 1 (one) start in his career.

Oh...but he never led the league in passing!

Let's think of another HOF QB who never led the league in passing--in fact isn't even in the top 25 career, whereas 2 of his draft cohort are in the top 10--and had zero SB wins (therefore zero SB MVPs), despite HOF talent on both sides of the ball and on the coaching staff.  Only played 4 full seasons out of 11.  One season with over 25 TDs.

Why is that guy in the HOF?

Because that man was more talented than Eli Manning.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good enough reason, just stating my opinion.

Edited by SmokinES3

Interesting question posed on the Dan Patrick show - whose career would you rather have, Marino's or Eli's?

One guy is indisputably one of the greatest passers to ever play the game, but came up short of Super Bowls (one appearance, got blown out).  The other guy is remembered for a lot of mediocre seasons and overshadowed by his big brother BUT has two rings and two Super Bowl MVP's with some amazing playoff performances.

I'm taking Eli's career in a heartbeat.  Dan Patrick wants Marino's and I think that's an all-time hot take.  To end up at the very pinnacle of your sport not once, but twice?  No way I'm turning that down.  Marino may be one of the best to ever throw the football but nothing compares to hardware.  I'll blind the haters with the shine from the rings.

The $250M doesn't hurt either.

Another thing about Eli...  he is one of the finest examples of why Allen’s stats don’t conclude anything about him or his future as a franchise QB or his ability to deliver championships. 

Eli won Super Bowl mvp both times the giants  won and made iconic plays in the game, that elevated average Joe WRs into pivotal playmakers. So the narrative he lucked out riding great defenses is weak, if not just wrong. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood