Eli Manning: Will He Get Into Canton?

Gugny

Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?

If Joe Namath can be in for essentially winning one game and being charismatic in NY I think Eli should be in with 2 sb wins over Brady. Those sayi g that he ride the defense to those wins don't remember those games very well. Eli needed drives to win in both games and made huge throws in both. That throw to Manningham was insane.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I got slack for it but I don’t think Gore is a HOFer.  How many years was Gore a dominant player?  The HOFer is supposed to be for the greatest players of all time. Gore and Eli aren’t close to the greatest players of all time.

I agree 100 percent. I think both will get in but neither deserve it. 

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

7th all-time in yards, 7th all-time in TD passes. 2 Super Bowl wins.

First ballot Hall of Famer.

The rule changes have inflated statistics over the years.  Eli was never considered one of the very best QBs in the league. 

He was never all pro, never led the league in any stat but interceptions and was 117-117 (.500) as a starter. The Super Bowl wins are the only reason he gets in and even then, he was aided by stellar defenses.

First ballot entries should be reserved for the absolute best of the best.  Eli was never close to that.  If he does get in 1st ballot, it's pure politics.  

• Like (+1) 1

Eli was the ultimate “compiler” He was a top 10-25 QB his entire 16 year career, but his durability has allowed him to put up Hall of Fame level career stats. In the NFL I do feel durability is important, and the two championships put him over the top. 

Does Eli Manning deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Yes 

Should Eli Manning be a first ballot guy? No 

Will Eli Manning be a first ballot guy? Probably 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe not first Ballot. but in addition to a 16 year career piling up massive stats and legacy family 

2× Super Bowl champion (XLII, XLVI)

2× Super Bowl MVP (XLII, XLVI)

4× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011, 2012, 2015)

Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year (2016)

plus he’s like able Humble and classy 

might be a lock for  first ballot after all If Brees Ben rivers and Tommy don’t retire this year. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes he will get in.

No he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. 

I also don't think Kurt Warner should be in the HOF. But if they put in Warner they will put in Eli

Kurt Warner 2x first team all pro, 2x passing TDs leader, 2x passing rating leader, led 2 different franchises to the Super Bowl, QB'd the greatest offense the league had ever seen, won a Super Bowl, was Super Bowl MVP, has 2 league MVPs and was the highest rated passer in league history when he retired.  

Definitely a Hall of Famer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

he will get in, however, Eli = Vinny Testaverde

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eli-manning-is-profoundly-mediocre/

Only 10 quarterbacks in NFL history have started at least 200 games, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, and the list is a who’s who of all-time legends: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Warren Moon and John Elway. And Eli Manning. And, OK, Vinny Testaverde — but still.

Save Eli Manning and Testaverde, all have been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame or are virtually certain to be.

Among that group, Eli Manning ranks either last, or ahead of only Testaverde,1 in nearly every season-indexed rate stat: completion rate, yards per attempt, interception rate, passer rating, adjusted yards per attempt, net yards per attempt and adjusted net yards per attempt.

But Manning is not just terrible at being great — he regularly tests the lower boundaries of even being good. He has finished among the top 10 in ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating just four times out of the 11 seasons for which QBR has been calculated; his average rank is a middling 16th. He has finished among the top 10 in passer rating just once in 12 starting campaigns, finishing an average of 18th. From 2004, when Manning entered the league, through Week 1 of 2017, he was in the bottom half of both season-indexed passer rating and season-indexed adjusted net yards per attempt2 (among quarterbacks with at least 50 starts):

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

I agree

i don’t think he was notspecial enough to get in.  If he gets in then every QB who starts and wins gets in.

Nah, not every qbs that wins and gets in.  He’s getting in because he beat 2 goats 2 times 

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

If Joe Namath can be in for essentially winning one game and being charismatic in NY I think Eli should be in with 2 sb wins over Brady. Those sayi g that he ride the defense to those wins don't remember those games very well. Eli needed drives to win in both games and made huge throws in both. That throw to Manningham was insane.

Considering the situation, distance and margin for error, that is on the short list of candidates for best throw in NFL history.

As for Namath, you have to recognize not only his impact on the critical era (NFL-AFL merger), but also his role as a pioneer in the early days of marketing via athletes.  He was one of the guys who paved the way for OJ, Jordan, Woods, James, etc. in what today is a many billion dollar business.  You can't tell the history of the NFL without Joe Willie.

Eli Manning is:

#7 all time in passing yards

#8 all time in passing TDs

#6 all time in passing attempts

#3 all time in consecutive starts

Two-time Super Bowl Champion

Two-time Super Bowl MVP.

Super Bowl stats (two games):

49/74, 551 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

That's a hall of famer.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes because Brees & Brady aren’t retiring in 2020. Big Ben & Rivers look to be coming back too. Additionally there aren’t any QBs predating Eli who are currently waiting for the HoF that have as many passing yards, wins, games played & are two time Super Bowl MVPs. Eli is a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Famer.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Two Super Bowls, a LONG career and the last name get him in. I never thought he was special, but I bet he gets in anyway. The “helmet catch” might make the difference. 

Ill try another shot at push back on the name factor...

if debating a guy like Big Ben, how often do you hear reference to Peyton regarding him being worthy or his accomplishments? 

I think we all agree the dude isn’t in the all time great list with manning and Brady Or even the Rodgers and Brees tier.... but he’s clearly in the next group with Ben, rivers, etc... how many get in from the era? His rings help a lot but he like 6th(?) on the list  depending on where you draw the lines on the era/generation.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Yes because Brees & Brady aren’t retiring in 2020. Big Ben & Rivers look to be coming back too. Additionally there aren’t any QBs predating Eli who are currently waiting for the HoF that have as many passing yards, wins, games played & are two time Super Bowl MVPs. Eli is a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Famer.

that’s one of the most important factors- who he slots up against each year. Would be the only first ballot guy and no noteworthy list to clear works in his favor, while if Brees brady and Ben all leave the same year it definitely hurts Ben. If manning does go year 1 he might wait a minute though.

Edited by NoSaint

Massive stat accumulator who rode his D through the playoffs in his 2 SB winning runs?    Fellas, Peyton Manning already IS in the HOF....

ELI Manning is the one who was a 2 time SB MVP.  

Here's some more:

Eli's 2 SB winning runs: 15 TDs, 2 INTs, almost 2100 yards.

Peyton"s 2 SB winning runs (with 2 teams): 5TDs, 8 INT, under 1600 yards.

Eli Manning belongs in the HOF.  Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Do you think Eli will get into the Hall of Fame?

Eli had a great career.  He was MVP of both Superbowl wins.  He beat the Patriots twice in the big game.

I have never been a big fan of "stat machine " quarterbacks that put up big numbers but do little else.  

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kind of where I stand. He piled up stats and won two Super Bowls including one vs., arguably, the best team ever. I never thought he was that good but his resume is strong.

I think the NFL Hall of Fame has morphed, in a sense, into the Hall of Longevity.  We seem to recognize players who stayed around a very long time even if they never really stood out as superstars.  Eli fits that description.  The throw/catch to Tyree should have its own display at the HOF...maybe it already does.

• Like (+1) 1