Eli Manning: Will He Get Into Canton?

Gugny

Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

While he played on some great teams he also played on some bad ones at the end. Just goes to show that you can have an elite QB and is he doesn't have the supporting cast around him it's just so hard to win. Just ask Matt Ryan the last two years. Or Aaron Rodgers 2017, 2018. 

Matty Ice, the most innacurate nickname in the NFL. 

He had two really good seasons during his entire career, the deal is that he won the SB and was mvp both times, he gets in. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes he will get in.

No he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. 

I also don't think Kurt Warner should be in the HOF. But if they put in Warner they will put in Eli

Warner was at pointS of his career in the conversation for best qb in the nfl.  He had some all time great years. 

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That well may be the case, but the voters also value longevity and a consistent level of good play over time, especially when combined with all time statistics. There is simply no denying the fact that, great or not, Gore ranks third on the all time yardage list, well ahead of many of those all time greats. He’s the other end of the Sayers spectrum, if you will.

I agree with this but it devalues the HOF IMO.  I think Gore had like 2 years where he was a dominant player.  It should be about greatness.  It’s like Harold Baines being a HOFer.

As someone else said, he’d get in eventually with a different last name. Because he is a Manning and he played for a large market team I think that boosts him in early, maybe first ballot. I think he deserves to go but I don’t think year 1 is deserving but that’s whatever

2 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

As someone else said, he’d get in eventually with a different last name. Because he is a Manning and he played for a large market team I think that boosts him in early, maybe first ballot. I think he deserves to go but I don’t think year 1 is deserving but that’s whatever

I think some of you completely overrate the large market thing.  It’s the nfl. Markets don’t matter.  But the 2 rings are getting him in no matter where he played.  He still wasn’t that good. 

2 time SB MVP.  

Brought Giants back twice while down in the 4th Q in each game

Only team/QB to stop NE during its peak years

7th all-time yards

Probably the best QB in NYG history, one of the most storied franchise in NFL history  

Was he perfect no, but based on the above stats, I don't think there is not much to argue about 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yuck if he’s a first ballot HOF.  He was a stat complier.  He just played in a lot of games.  I know it’s a team stat but should a qb with a .500 record be a first ballot HOF?  This would be like Matt Stafford going to the HOF.  

Eli won two Super Bowls against the best QB of all time.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Nope.  He beat the Patriots in the SB twice, but that was primarily because of their defense.  Eli was good, but not great like his brother.

Eli begs to differ: 

New York Giants Plaxico Burress, Super Bowl XLII Pictures | Getty Images

Two clutch SB wins. Two SB MVPs. 

Dude should get in first ballot just for wrecking the Pats* perfect season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the name and super bowls get him in first ballot. He will be remembered as much better than he ever actually was. 
He was probably never a top 10 quarterback in the league but those super bowl rings will do the trick 

so true - that's the way it works!

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess I did forgot about that.  You’re right. He Joe Flacco’d those years.

so is Flacco a HOFer?  

I think Dave’s made some good points about his postseason play.  But how many times was ELi consider a top 10 qb, much less top 5?  

I think he played in a conservative offense for years under Gilbride, which kept his stats low. He is a proven winner and leader. Top 10, he would be close, but certainly not too 5. 

It's become the Hall of Fame-ous.  Players people have heard of get in, and truly great players get left out.  Thurman Thomas didn't get in on the first ballot, for crying out loud, and he led the league in scrimmage yards for at least four years.  Thomas was a dominant player for several years, and was really the key to the Bill's great offense.  If TT couldn't get in on the first ballot, a nice guy decent player like Eli sure should not.

44 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Eli begs to differ: 

New York Giants Plaxico Burress, Super Bowl XLII Pictures | Getty Images

Two clutch SB wins. Two SB MVPs. 

Dude should get in first ballot just for wrecking the Pats* perfect season.

Don't get me wrong, I admire how Eli delivered two clutch performances against the Patriots in the two Super Bowls.  But, if the Giants defense wasn't able to keep Brady and the high powered Pats offenses in check, no way was Eli and the Giants offenses going to outscore Brady. Other than these two SB games, Eli was pretty much average to slightly above average.