Eli Manning: Will He Get Into Canton?

Gugny

Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eli Manning Get Into the Hall of Fame?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yuck if he’s a first ballot HOF.  He was a stat complier.  He just played in a lot of games.  I know it’s a team stat but should a qb with a .500 record be a first ballot HOF?  This would be like Matt Stafford going to the HOF.  

If Stafford had two rings he would get in too. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yuck if he’s a first ballot HOF.  He was a stat complier.  He just played in a lot of games.  I know it’s a team stat but should a qb with a .500 record be a first ballot HOF?  This would be like Matt Stafford going to the HOF.  

The postseason: believe in it. It is, and should be, determinative in borderline cases. It's what the game is all about.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

2 SB wins

How many Pro Bowls?

eventually if those are people’s criteria 

All pros is the way to go.but he never made one all pro and only 4 pro bowls in 16 years!  Was he ever in the conversation for a MVP?  

he will get in but he wasn’t that good.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Don't forget this game either. Many thought the 15-1 Packers were unbeatable in 2011. He lit them up in Lambeau. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201201150gnb.htm

In the postseason, his winning percentage was .667.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All pros is the way to go.but he never made one all pro and only 4 pro bowls in 16 years!  Was he ever in the conversation for a MVP?  

he will get in but he wasn’t that good.

Yes, he won two MVPs - in championship games against the greatest franchise in the modern era.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

They weren't really lucky. He played well. 

I guess I did forgot about that.  You’re right. He Joe Flacco’d those years.

so is Flacco a HOFer?  

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He’s one of the best of his era. He has two all time great throws IN a super bowl, including the one that iced the perfect season. 

He deserves it based on the Tyree play alone. 

I think Dave’s made some good points about his postseason play.  But how many times was ELi consider a top 10 qb, much less top 5?  

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

so is Flacco a HOFer?  

That's a good question. He really was a sensational postseason player (10-5) and 98-73 as a starter. He has over 40,000 yards.  That said, I doubt it. It's closer than you might think, though!  Also, if Lee Evans hangs on to the freaking ball, he may have had 2 rings. Also, @C.Biscuit97, Flacco has one of the greatest stat lines ever for a QB getting credited with a "win" in what was actually a total blowout of the Pats by the Ravens. Check out his passing stats in this game: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001100nwe.htm

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

so is Flacco a HOFer?  

I think Dave’s made some good points about his postseason play.  But how many times was ELi consider a top 10 qb, much less top 5?  

Regular season? Maybe 2-3 seasons - 2011, 2012, and 2015. Maybe on the outer edge in 2008 too, but that's debatable. That's it, as far as I can tell. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Eli Manning had two of the All-Time best playoff runs in NFL history. In 2007 he beat Tampa Bay away (Modest upset) and then upset Tony Romo and TO's Cowboys away, beat Brett Farve's last ride Packers teams in Lambo, and then upset  a 18-0 Pats team. All with clutch plays in each of those games to seal a victory. 

In 2011 Eli Beat Matt Ryan at home in round 1 (probably the only game in this 8 game stretch they were favored and the only one they were at home for), then beat a 15-1 Packers team that was the defending champs led by Aaron Rodgers with a stacked team in his prime, then went on the road to a very tough 49ers team led by Harbaugh's break out team, and then beat one of the stronger Pats teams who sported a great O-line, Gronk and Hernandez in a unique two tight end set along with Wes Welker at his best and Dion Branch who came back to have a decent season. 

Overall that's two of the best playoff runs I have ever seen a QB put together to go 8-0. I also think that Eli had some good years in the regular season and from 2005-2012 never had a losing season. Eli's career record from 2005 (his second season) to 2016 had a 107-85 record (a 56% winning percentage.) I think overall while his career in the regular season  is very Drew Bledsoe like you take a good but not great regular season resume and combine it with 2 spectacular all time great playoff runs I think you get a HOF player. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I got slack for it but I don’t think Gore is a HOFer.  How many years was Gore a dominant player?  The HOFer is supposed to be for the greatest players of all time. Gore and Eli aren’t close to the greatest players of all time.

That well may be the case, but the voters also value longevity and a consistent level of good play over time, especially when combined with all time statistics. There is simply no denying the fact that, great or not, Gore ranks third on the all time yardage list, well ahead of many of those all time greats. He’s the other end of the Sayers spectrum, if you will.

While he played on some great teams he also played on some bad ones at the end. Just goes to show that you can have an elite QB and is he doesn't have the supporting cast around him it's just so hard to win. Just ask Matt Ryan the last two years. Or Aaron Rodgers 2017, 2018.