Eli is retiring - news conf Friday

Reed83HOF

17 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Always have a soft spot for Eli after his 2 SB wins against NE.

...agree BOE......always seemed to be the consummate professional publicly....pretty tall order to play in Peyton's shadow......but two rings certainly deserves kudos.......

• Like (+1) 4

He beat the consensus GOAT twice without spying accusations, substitutions that were banned the next season, air pressure questions, sideline videotaping, or the assistance of a “doctor” who isn’t a licensed physician or his supplements that made Edelman pop for banned substances. He goes in the Hall before Brady in my book without asterisks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, H2o said:

Thanks for the memories Eli :thumbsup:

Related image

Would be blown dead nowadays. In the grasp. Patriots ball.

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I thought he retired 2 years ago ;) 

I never really warmed to the guy after the SD draft fiasco  :(

You didn’t warm to a guy who took down the patriots twice in the super bowl?... come on! 

Edited by whatdrought

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

This is long overdue. Eli is the most overrated QB in history bar none. HOF? I can only assume you're trying to be funny.

I think Namath is and he shouldn't be in.  I don't think Eli should get in.  Even in his prime he was never a top 5 quarterback.  He made four pro bowls in 15 full seasons as starter.  Never an all pro.  Led the league in picks three times.  Only made the playoffs one time in his last seven seasons and four times in 15.  Career .500 record.

The interesting part of the debate will be whether his playoff success will trump his average starter stats.  Even in the playoffs he had those two magical runs and four one and dones.  However, he's the only quarterback to win the Superbowl twice as a WC team.  He beat some of the best QB's of his generation at their place (Favre, Rodgers, Romo) and came up clutch in the two Superbowls where he won MVP with the GOAT at QB and coach on the other side. He was 7-0 as an underdog away from home during those two runs.   His defense obviously had a lot to do with that but he came up clutch when they needed him most.

If there was a Hall of above average he'd definitely get in because of those Superbowl runs, but I don't think two magical runs should trump a career of being a slightly above average starting NFL QB.

19 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If he didn't have to live in Archie and Peyton's shadow he might be more well thought of. I think he's a HOF maybe not first ballot but he was an above average QB in the Jim Kelly model. 

I think the only reason he gets in is he's a Manning.

Check out his comp% for his first 4 years and people are critical of Josh.

This guy had an NFL QB for a father and a sure fire first ballot HOF brother to help him. 

Not to mention  having Kurt warner as a mentor.

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

http://www.footballperspective.com/eli-manning-and-the-hall-of-fame/

Edited by JMF2006