Top 50 free agents for the Buffalo Bills (article by Matt Parrino)

Logic

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think anyone is "playing madden".

The Bills have the ability to sign a couple big FAs and still resign their own. 

Nobodys talking about winning the offseason.... the team needs an influx of talent at certain positions that rookies and continuity can't fill. I think Beane will act accordingly and you'll be somewhat surprised.

Also, last years team went 10-6 and lost in the WC round. There are only a few guys worth resigning from last years team. They have the ability to upgrade positions through free agency, and can go BPA in the draft. I see no reason the Bills can't go into the draft with very few holes to fill. That being said:

Conklin

Hunter Henry

Jordan Howard

Matt Judon

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't have a good feel for who they will get but I do believe they will:

A) Make somewhat of a splash and get an Edge Rusher.  I expect that this position will be their marquee signing.

B) A veteran WR who would immediately be one of the top three WR's on the team

C) A running back that will replace Gore

D) More depth at DB to compete for starting spot against Levi

E) a Defensive tackle to replace what I expect the departure of Jordan Phillips

F) That they will re-sign Shaq Lawson for a 4 year $34 million a year contract

G) Cut Murphy

In the draft:

A) Draft a WR that has dynamic YAC ability and that would compete for major playing time early on.

B) Draft a DE and DT

C) Draft a RB

D) Draft DB's

E) Draft a LB 

And even though I fully expect Beane to very aware of the cap for the future, I do not believe for one second that he will take a cautious approach.  I think he understands that for many organizations the best time to make a run for a super bowl are once you found your Franchise QB (which we have) and to surround the talent within that rookie contract period which is 5 years.  This is going into year 3, I expect them to take advantage of this window that they have.

Bank on it

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's two big strikes against Gase now.  Tanny and Drake.   Maybe the smelling salts are eating away at his brain.

It looks like the Cards are going to keep Drake and let David Johnson go.   Man, I loved Johnson a bunch a few years ago and it's amazing how fast he's gone from the penthouse to the outhouse.  Johnson would be a great complement to Singletary, but his contact will likely make him unmoveable ($10.2 million in 2020!   NFW)...

They can't move johnson, and you can't justify paying drake anything because now you have tied up way too much cap in running backs.  

59 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Right now I am watching replays of college football and rewatching the whole Baltimore season to see exactly what they were doing to get that kind of offensive production. We are missing a few pieces but we could easily copy that Baltimore offense. 

3 pro bowl o-lineman, a pro bowl FB, and a pro-bowl TE = running lanes for their backs.  Having a QB who's faster than most of the league, and jukes like McCoy doesn't hurt either.  Running read option adds like an extra blocker that you have to take very seriously because he's the most dynamic player on the field.  They also generally run the ball well in standard formations because they have really quality blocking - thus setting up play action to take shots.  Their power running just keeps gashing you for little chunks and keeps them in 3rd/4th and very makeable situations.  Stack up 1st downs and score TDs.  You'll beat anyone doing all that.  

I think as the league has become more and more about passing - defenses have been more built on speed.  They're built more around power at the LOS.  I do think Roman may have outsmarted himself in the playoff game too.  4th and 1 from  your own 45 in the 1st quarter?  Then a panic drive down 14-0 right after?  Another bad play call on 4th and 1... Forced into a passing game that LJ won't win.  

Edited by dneveu

34 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What do you think about Periman or Sharpe? 

I suppose Perriman could be a proverbial Hail Mary if they miss out on other WR1 options.

I’m not a big Sharpe guy. Just doesn’t flash for me. We need a gets-open-early-and-reliably kinda guy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I suppose Perriman could be a proverbial Hail Mary if they miss out on other WR1 options.

I’m not a big Sharpe guy. Just doesn’t flash for me. We need a gets-open-early-and-reliably kinda guy.

What about anderson?  I don't see him getting a big payday tbh.  Id like him on a 1 yr deal and hopefully draft someone too.  

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think anyone is "playing madden".

The Bills have the ability to sign a couple big FAs and still resign their own. 

Nobodys talking about winning the offseason.... the team needs an influx of talent at certain positions that rookies and continuity can't fill. I think Beane will act accordingly and you'll be somewhat surprised.

Yes, they have the ability to sign a couple big FAs and still re-sign their own. They had the same ability last year, and did they? The point isn't whether they can afford it. The point is that their methodology isn't compatible with what you want here.

Signing a couple of big FAs and you're in the running for winning the offseason. That's pretty much what winning the offseason means.

Yeah, they need an influx of talent. And yeah, that influx can be provided with the draft, mid- and low-level FAs and a high-priced FA every five or six years. If that wasn't enough, New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Baltimore, all teams that run similar conservative processes that include very few genuinely high-priced FAs, would never have won all their titles.

What you want and what I want means nothing. What matters is the methods that the FO wants to use. And every single year they say the same thing, this year included, about not going into the deep end of FA and building through the draft and yadda yadda yadda. And every single year people do their best to forget what Beane says and expect him to grab a lot of high-priced guys. And it doesn't happen. Feel free to repeat this every-year mistake if you must, but they've made themselves clear.

Edited by Thurman#1

It's OK, Yannick. Richie's gone. Keep Spain and sign another good G to upgrade the right side, then draft an OT and another WR. If Cody Ford comes around and challenges Spain for a starting job, so be it, but so far he looks like a bust. Still, OL don't always excel in year 1, so I wouldn't give up on playing Ford at G just yet. I just don't see much of a future for Ford at RT.

Pass on Conklin. His injury past remains a huge concern and he's nowhere near as good as he used to be. He's an average NFL OT at this point and will likely get overpaid.

Edited by GreggTX

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They were in a different position last year. Much different team that had 0 depth. They clearly have more depth now, they need to get better STARTERS.... I expect them to bring in a couple well known, good FAs this offseason considering where the team is at currently. I don’t think that means a spending spree, but you’ll see some big contracts given out to a couple FAs, IMO.

We will see. 

We will see, Scott.

But what we will see is that their core principles don't change. The things they say every single year, will continue to be said every single year and will also be followed through on. That's what you're dealing with here, core principles, things that they have said every single year and at their introductory press conferences. They ain't changing, Scott, because this is how they believe in building a team. Again, they've literally said this since their first moments.

They're believers in financial conservatism. And thank goodness they are, because history shows that's how the teams that are consistent competitors go about it.

Now, if by "big contracts" you mean $10 or $11 mill, hey, I wouldn't disagree with that. I'd call those mid-level contracts and wouldn't find a couple of those very surprising at all. But two at genuinely high levels? Ain't gonna happen, Scott.  Not because I say so. I'm just some schlemiel on a message board. Because they say so, again and again.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We will see, Scott.

But what we will see is that their core principles don't change. The things they say every single year, will continue to be said every single year and will also be followed through on. That's what you're dealing with here, core principles, things that they have said every single year and at their introductory press conferences. They ain't changing, Scott, because this is how they believe in building a team. Again, they've literally said this since their first moments.

They're believers in financial conservatism. And thank goodness they are, because history shows that's how the teams that are consistent competitors go about it.

Now, if by "big contracts" you mean $10 or $11 mill, hey, I wouldn't disagree with that. I'd call those mid-level contracts and wouldn't find a couple of those very surprising at all. But two at genuinely high levels? Ain't gonna happen, Scott.  Not because I say so. I'm just some schlemiel on a message board. Because they say so, again and again.

I think they'll look to get 2-3 guys at 10-11 million. Morse like solid starters. I'm not expecting them to shell out for a guy like Clowney. But they need to add some more starter level players to the team. 

From this list, give me :

Offense

WR-One of Robby Anderson/Tajae Sharpe/Demarcus Robinson/Breshad Perriman

RB-One of Kenyon Drake or Jordan Howard

G- retain Spain. If we don't retain Spain, then I would like Graham Glasgow. He can play G and provide depth at C.

Defense

CB-retain Johnson

LB- Don't know if we spend big $ here. If we do I would like one of Fowler/Judon/Dupree. If not, Collins to replace Lorax.

DE-Depends on what we do at LB. If we go big time at LB, then retain Shaq. If we don't go big time at LB, then go all out for Yannick. Or dial it down a bit and go after Quinn.

ST

Find a punter

This will allow for flexibility in the draft to take the BPA or move up by offering any of our two 5th or three 6th rounders.

Edited by Dopey