Top 50 free agents for the Buffalo Bills (article by Matt Parrino)

Logic

The more stuff that comes out the more clear it is a large portion of those players are never going to be available. 
Yannick and henry are never making it to free agency. 
We are going to have some really disappointed fans. Better start looking a little deeper down the list like  Quinn and JPP and that next tier of players. 

Conklin is definitely an appealing name. He's gonna get a big contract, but he is the type of RT that could help transform the efficacy of the run block game. Big time. 

I believe the OL was at least adequate in pass pro, but well below average in the run game.

You bring in a banger like Conklin, kick Ford over to LG, and theoretically drastically upgrade the run blocking. That would depend quite a bit more on Ford's ability to play guard than it would Conklin, who's a proven commodity.

I'm still not sure where Ford fits, but if he can't excel at guard, that pick went terribly wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Conklin is definitely an appealing name. He's gonna get a big contract, but he is the type of RT that could help transform the efficacy of the run block game. Big time. 

I believe the OL was at least adequate in pass pro, but well below average in the run game.

You bring in a banger like Conklin, kick Ford over to LG, and theoretically drastically upgrade the run blocking. That would depend quite a bit more on Ford's ability to play guard than it would Conklin, who's a proven commodity.

I'm still not sure where Ford fits, but if he can't excel at guard, that pick went terribly wrong.

I think putting Conklin, ford and Feliciano on this line would possibly be the nastiest offensive line in the league. Those are 3 big time maulers 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bills_fan said:

I would really like Green and Ngakoue. 

Pass on Conklin because he's too much of a douchebag.

Aj Klein would fit in nicely.

I'm in the re-sign Shaq Lawson camp.

Of course, I would love to sign Hooper and Drake, but I think you can only afford one (assuming you plan to extend guys like White and Milano).

If he can solve the RT turnstile, who cares if he is a douchebag.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Exactly,  it's not like Richie was a choir boy. Keep improving this oline every year. Watch Josh's numbers continue to improve. And if we land a solid RB2 to compliment Devin away we go.

1. Ngakoue 

2. Conklin

3. Hunter Henry 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nsekhe and Ford were VERY impressive in run blocking as a RT/RG combo in the preseason.

I'm not in favor of paying Conklin...........I'd prefer to take a shot at Jason Peters and re-sign Waddle to compete or share backup duties with Nsekhe and call the position filled.     Peters also offers top 10 LT ability if something happens to Dawkins.   And he's year to year so low commitment........which is ideal for a position that is dubious to invest $30M-$50M in guarantees into.

And worst case......if they all break down........you can put Ford out there and survive even if he sucks.

Bills lead the NFL in rushing, big plays, fewest turnovers and had a good scoring team with the woeful Jordan Mills at RT for two years.    Getting a top 5 RT(without LT flexibility) secured long term in FA is  very much a luxury purchase IMO.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Just say no to Bulaga.  The guy can't stay healthy.   OTOH, Peat or Glasgow seem like good OL pickups that would fit the Bills needs.

Ngakoue, Hooper and Conklin are probably priced out of our range.       

Kenyan Drake would be ideal, but I doubt Beane wants to spend $6MM per at RB.  Sure sounds like a 'process' guy though:

"It's bigger than me," Drake said. "The game is not about any one individual player and whatever specific accolades he can accumulate. Not a lot of people get    this opportunity." 

It is a big-picture view that not every player has.

"I for sure had to learn it," Drake said. "Everyone has to grow up one day."

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kenyan-drake-wait-for-playing-time-paying-off-with-cardinals-free-agency

He'd add a lot to the passing game:     https://arizonasports.com/story/2231725/espn-seifert-case-kenyan-drake-nfl-free-agent-rb/

With 90 mil in cap space no player is out of our price range. Whether its spent is a different topic.

1. Derrick Henry

2. Ngakoue

3. A. Cooper

4. Best FA OL or draft prospect

Edited by billsbackto81

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nsekhe and Ford were VERY impressive in run blocking as a RT/RG combo in the preseason.

I'm not in favor of paying Conklin...........I'd prefer to take a shot at Jason Peters and re-sign Waddle to compete or share backup duties with Nsekhe and call the position filled.     Peters also offers top 10 LT ability if something happens to Dawkins.   And he's year to year so low commitment........which is ideal for a position that is dubious to invest $30M-$50M in guarantees into.

And worst case......if they all break down........you can put Ford out there and survive even if he sucks.

Bills lead the NFL in rushing, big plays, fewest turnovers and had a good scoring team with the woeful Jordan Mills at RT for two years.    Getting a top 5 RT(without LT flexibility) secured long term in FA is  very much a luxury purchase IMO.   

All fair points and you clearly don't want to see them pay an RT. That's a perfectly reasonable view. But I'm trying to figure out they improve this particular unit and I wouldn't mind that kind of investment in a VERY good RT in both aspects of the game. Yeah, they got by with Mills, but they had Wood, Cogs, and Glenn. I don't see that here.

Peters/Waddle would be solid additions and could certainly shift the paradigm. Not sure how much Peters has left in the tank though. 

Counter would be that Nsekhe is OLD and I must say I haven't been impressed with Ford, even at guard. That's actually my big concern here. They've got to put together a unit capable of pushing the LOS. It seems like it's become a "no brainer" that Ford would excel at guard. I'm not so sure about that. At all.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

With 90 mil in cap space no player is out of our price range. Whether its spent is a different topic.

We have 90-100 M depending on who we release. Money is not the issue.  Its targeting the right players that compliment this team. Don't be afraid to spend it, make it count.

I don't think the Bills are going big-game hunting in the UFA market...

But the guy I would like is Collins...I think he's a great replacement for Zo, he's more versatile, and I don't think they'll have to break the bank to get him (Spotrac has his Market Value at 8.8 per year...)...Plus it hurts the Pats if we sign him...Win/Win...?

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We have 90-100 M depending on who we release. Money is not the issue.  Its targeting the right players that compliment this team. Don't be afraid to spend it, make it count.

Money is the issue.

Not in terms of the total amount of money we have to spend. We could get any three or so guys we wanted if that were the big concern. The money concern isn't total pool available, it is how this regime has said (again and again, and every year) that they will spend free agent money. And been as good as their word every step of the way.

What'd he say about being surprised if they go into the deep end? Something like that. Take him at his word.

A lot of people here want to play Madden and spend every penny and get the biggest guys. They want to win the offseason. But teams that win the offseason rarely seem to do as well during the actual season. Expect the Bills to continue to be Beane-esque and McDermotty.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I don't think the Bills are going big-game hunting in the UFA market...

But the guy I would like is Collins...I think he's a great replacement for Zo, he's more versatile, and I don't think they'll have to break the bank to get him (Spotrac has his Market Value at 8.8 per year...)...Plus it hurts the Pats if we sign him...Win/Win...?

We might get one big name ala when we signed Morse this past offseason yet expect us to get more of the good not great guys out there that fits in what we're trying to do here both scheme wise and locker room wise. 

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Also, @bills_fan, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Titans' LEFT tackle Taylor Lewan? As far as I was aware, Lewan has the infamous reputation for being dirty. For example, our secondary had a lot to say about his behavior after our win against them this year.

However, I've never heard anything similar about Conklin. Just seems like a good player and a great fit for our team. 

Adding Conklin and either Hooper/Henry at TE would make a huge difference to our offense. Sign 1-2 playmakers on defense, re-sign/extend our own, and solve the rest through the draft. With our talent and all these resources, no reason this team cannot be a genuine contender for multiple years. 

Bradley Roby opposite of Tre White would be disgusting. I think that would be a huge boost to our defense. Combine that with Bud Dupree at DE and I think our defense could take a jump. Spend our 1st and 2nd picks on OL and WR and maybe draft Josh Uche or Willie Gay to take over for LoZo and we’re looking at a top 3 defense.

I would love to see this team sign Hooper and Hunter Henry and run a lot more of those Baltimore formations. I have always thought that the hurry up offense gives you an advantage with two all purpose TE’s. Teams don’t know what defensive packages to use and that’s when mistakes are made.