Top 50 free agents for the Buffalo Bills (article by Matt Parrino)

Logic

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/01/nfl-free-agents-2020-top-50-targets-for-buffalo-bills.html

"The Bills had their most successful season in two decades in 2019, but that success was spoiled when a second-half collapse against the Houston Texans led to a first-round exit after blowing a 16-point lead on the road in just the team’s second playoff game of this century.

There are holes to fill on Bills general manager Brandon Beane’s roster. He has nine draft picks but with so much money to spend he can also look to fill those holes on the free agent market. There are plenty of potential targets and NYUP.com gathered the Top 50 and broke things down a bit for you to argue why each player may be a fit for the Bills.

Let’s start at 50 and work our way to what should be the Bills’ top target in free agency."

Lots of interesting names in the article. Everyone knows the obvious ones by now: Ngakoue, Clowney, Cooper, etc...This article, though, points some lesser known and perhaps more realistic options for Buffalo, given Beane's recent "I doubt we'll be in the deep end of the pool" comments.

Off the top of my head, I think Jordan Howard, Tajae Sharp, Eric Ebron, and Bryan Bulaga could be of great help on offense, while Gerald McCoy or Michael Brockers would make for a great rotation at 3T and AJ Klein would be great depth/leadership for the LB corps.

I am particularly confounded by Jordan Howard. He had two 1,100 yard seasons back to back, then a 950ish yard season. He had a down year in Philly, sure, but he's still just 25 years old and likely won't command a huge contract.  I get that RBs are supposedly a dime a dozen these days, but why has this guy so quickly fallen from grace?

Anyway...what sayest you, Bills fans? Who catches your eye?

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yannick, Hooper, Conklin, Lawson, Perriman, Byron Jones and Howard. Now I highly doubt we'd have enough cash for all of them clearly but if we could land a good portion of those I'd call that a huge success. If I had to choose 3 give me Yannick, Conklin and Perriman. We could save some money and go with Williams instead of Conklin tho. Cutting Kroft would help towards landing Hooper. Same goes for cutting Murphy to keep Lawson.

I would go big game hunting and target Ngakoue, Hooper and Conklin. Expensive, but all are young (24 or 25). While the 3 could cost $38-40 million a year combined, signing them enables the Bills to let go Tyler Kroft, Trent Murphy, Spencer Long and Lee Smith, saving about $18-19 million, so it's a net spend of $20-22 million. 

That leaves them about $70 million under the cap. 

They could keep Lawson at around $8 million and their DE/edge is solid with Ngakoue, Hughes and Lawson, plus Darryl Johnson (and 3 young players potentially coming into their prime). 

SIgning Conklin could even open the door to letting Nsekhe go (saves about $3.7 million) if they feel good enough about Bates being swing tackle, potentially moving Cody Ford there in an injury scenario from one of the guard spots, or if they like Waddle sign him as the swing tackle. 

Hooper is the big get though, and having him, Knox and Sweeney make the position a real strength.

That still hasn't addressed WR, but even re-signing Lawson they have over $60 million left. A 2nd tier WR like D. Robinson from KC and draft Shenault or Higgins (since you shored up DE and OT in free agency that's not a pressing need anymore).

Pick a RB you like and draft one in middle rounds. Mostert is more evidence you can find them anywhere for cheap.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just say no to Bulaga.  The guy can't stay healthy.   OTOH, Peat or Glasgow seem like good OL pickups that would fit the Bills needs.

Ngakoue, Hooper and Conklin are probably priced out of our range.       

Kenyan Drake would be ideal, but I doubt Beane wants to spend $6MM per at RB.  Sure sounds like a 'process' guy though:

"It's bigger than me," Drake said. "The game is not about any one individual player and whatever specific accolades he can accumulate. Not a lot of people get    this opportunity." 

It is a big-picture view that not every player has.

"I for sure had to learn it," Drake said. "Everyone has to grow up one day."

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kenyan-drake-wait-for-playing-time-paying-off-with-cardinals-free-agency

He'd add a lot to the passing game:     https://arizonasports.com/story/2231725/espn-seifert-case-kenyan-drake-nfl-free-agent-rb/

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Just say no to Bulaga.  The guy can't stay healthy.   OTOH, Peat or Glasgow seem like good OL pickups that would fit the Bills needs.

Kenyan Drake would be ideal, but I doubt Beane wants to spend $6MM per at RB.  He'd add a lot to the passing game however:     https://arizonasports.com/story/2231725/espn-seifert-case-kenyan-drake-nfl-free-agent-rb/

Bulaga looked awful sunday.

The other 3 are not out priced of our range & I would be shocked at $6M per year on an RB.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Kenyan Drake would be ideal, but I doubt Beane wants to spend $6MM per at RB.  He'd add a lot to the passing game however:     https://arizonasports.com/story/2231725/espn-seifert-case-kenyan-drake-nfl-free-agent-rb/

...agree...Rivers as a backup?....not happening...Mariota?....says, "I will be a starter somewhere"...AJ Green?.....Bungles are allegedly willing to franchise him.....big tag for 8 games a year.....Henry?.....if Titans let him go, so goes their offense......WAY out of McBeane's price range anyway......SD's Gordon?......balked at Charger's offer of $10 mil/yr.....looking for $13 mil/yr according to some reports...seriously?.....McBeane would have his phone disconnected first......FA openers.....

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Watching Drake, he always impressed me.   Looks really quick, has some good top end speed, good hands.  Never understood why miami didn't give him a chance.  Nevermind - adam gase isn't a very good coach.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree...Rivers as a backup?....not happening...Mariota?....says, "I will be a starter somewhere"...AJ Green?.....Bungles are allegedly willing to franchise him.....big tag for 8 games a year.....Henry?.....if Titans let him go, so goes their offense......WAY out of McBeane's price range anyway......SD's Gordon?......balked at Charger's offer of $10 mil/yr.....looking for $13 mil/yr according to some reports...seriously?.....McBeane would have his phone disconnected first......FA openers.....

Rivers - gross

Mariota - Maybe the bears with Trubiskey?  

Green - Makes sense to maximize what you have in front of a rookie.  They're not a free agent destination because of ownership, and they don't need cap space.  Can make the 17+ million in a second by cut/trading dalton too.

Henry - Pass.  Too much for a back.  He does have an impressive size/speed combo - but his limitations in a passing attack make him a bit of a niche player.  Needs to be in a heavy play action team who doesn't throw the ball to their backs very often.  He's currently on that team, so i kind of assume he'll stay.  

Gordon - Is he even good?  10 mil a year?  yuck.

• Like (+1) 1

I would really like Green and Ngakoue. 

Pass on Conklin because he's too much of a douchebag.

Aj Klein would fit in nicely.

I'm in the re-sign Shaq Lawson camp.

Of course, I would love to sign Hooper and Drake, but I think you can only afford one (assuming you plan to extend guys like White and Milano).

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Watching Drake, he always impressed me.   Looks really quick, has some good top end speed, good hands.  Never understood why miami didn't give him a chance.  Nevermind - adam gase isn't a very good coach.  

That's two big strikes against Gase now.  Tanny and Drake.   Maybe the smelling salts are eating away at his brain.

It looks like the Cards are going to keep Drake and let David Johnson go.   Man, I loved Johnson a bunch a few years ago and it's amazing how fast he's gone from the penthouse to the outhouse.  Johnson would be a great complement to Singletary, but his contact will likely make him unmoveable ($10.2 million in 2020!   NFW)...

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

That's two big strikes against Gase now.  Tanny and Drake.   Maybe the smelling salts are eating away at his brain.

It looks like the Cards are going to keep Drake and let David Johnson go.   Man, I loved Johnson a bunch a few years ago and it's amazing how fast he's gone from the penthouse to the outhouse.  Johnson would be a great complement to Singletary, but his contact will likely make him unmoveable ($10.2 million in 2020!   NFW)...

I still don’t believe in Tanneyhill but I never got why they didn’t use Drake.  I even had him as a keeper in fantasy football and I’m like a fantasy football genius (women love it!). 

• Haha (+1) 1

Pay Ngakoue and Henry.   Re-sign Spain.  That is all we need to do in FA.  We can get by without Jordan Phillips with Horrible Harry returning and Ed Oliver progressing.  It's a good draft year for WRs so take what the market is offering.  Put Henry and Singletary in the backfield together -- what do defenses do?  Commit to the run and open the middle of the field to Kroft and Beasley.  

The Bills got very lucky in FA last year, upgrading their O line with only Morse being expensive.  They don't need an upgrade on the O line as much as they need upgrades elsewhere.