"The Mad Bomber" Lamonica weighs in on JA17

20 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Where is this coming from?

It came from you not reading the OP.

AGAIN.........the thread was created to direct TBD'ers to a linked story where Lamonica talks about his playing days and gives a take on Allen. 

On 1/22/2020 at 2:34 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

I have great neighbors.  When I was away Thanksgiving week we had almost 2 feet of snow and my next door neighbor cleared my driveway & walkway.  He also had done that when I was sick in the winter of 2017-18 and couldn't clean my driveway until March 2018.  

I'm surrounded by amazing neighbors.

This is my first time owning a house that gets snow. We moved in last May. My driveway winds up a hill about a quarter-mile long, so a few months ago I lined up a guy with a plowing service. 

We've had four snowfalls so far that have required plowing. I haven't brought the guy in once because I've had three different neighbors handle it for me. Don't even say anything. Just finish their house, drive up the road, start plowing my entire driveway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It came from you not reading the OP.

AGAIN.........the thread was created to direct TBD'ers to a linked story where Lamonica talks about his playing days and gives a take on Allen. 

You agree the thread was about Lamonica's opinion of Allen. Correct ? 

You also read the thread title and the OP. 

Yet, your first post said:

"

I remember when trading Lamonica used to be the biggest personnel mistake in Bills history.

He had a hell of a run in Oakland but never won them a SB.

"

Which was not about the OP. It was about Lamonica and his inability to win a SB. 

And then you continued to do so and in one post, you said "Thanks for the thread on "Bills great" Daryle Lamonica............a reserve for the team 50+ years ago that ranks right behind Thad Lewis in career starts for the team."

Again, nothing to do with his opinion on Allen. 

At which point, I reminded you what the OP was about. To which you brought the argument back to the OP (as if I was the one going on a tangent). And added "I guess you should tell a mod that the title is misleading you". Which made no sense given my posts.

And now you are reminding ME again what the OP was about ? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Hahahahah Ralph made OJ the highest paid player in the NFL, made Jim Kelly the highest paid NFL player. 

The early 90s teams were called the million dollar bills... The early 2000s Ralph made Derrick dockery the highest paid guard in NFL history

Few years later made Mario Williams the highest paid defensive player in NFL history

And he kept the Bills here for like 50 years...

That's the most ignorant opinion ever and Ralph IS THE BUFFALO BILLS

Jeez, for having over 7000 posts, you haven't been around here too long have you?

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You agree the thread was about Lamonica's opinion of Allen. Correct ? 

You also read the thread title and the OP. 

Yet, your first post said:

"

I remember when trading Lamonica used to be the biggest personnel mistake in Bills history.

He had a hell of a run in Oakland but never won them a SB.

"

Which was not about the OP. It was about Lamonica and his inability to win a SB. 

And then you continued to do so and in one post, you said "Thanks for the thread on "Bills great" Daryle Lamonica............a reserve for the team 50+ years ago that ranks right behind Thad Lewis in career starts for the team."

Again, nothing to do with his opinion on Allen. 

At which point, I reminded you what the OP was about. To which you brought the argument back to the OP (as if I was the one going on a tangent). And added "I guess you should tell a mod that the title is misleading you". Which made no sense given my posts.

And now you are reminding ME again what the OP was about ? 

There is nothing more about someone than their opinion............you are clearly lost in yours.......read the room.............it started with a story about Lamonica's nickname by the OP and is practically all Lamonica discussion.

It's dubious whether some backup from 50 years ago who has a passing opinion on Allen deserves it's own thread when we have tons of Allen threads where it could be merged into.............but a story about Lamonica is of timely interest because his trade turned out to be a disastrous mistake for the Bills at a time when the fanbase is watching the Mahomes mistake turn into a Super Bowl berth for a long time AFL/AFC rival.    

There is no chance that the OP didn't understand that invoking Lamonica wasn't going to elicit reaction about his trade.    It ALWAYS has for as long as this board has existed.      It's like starting an OJ thread and thinking nobody will mention anything about his post-career activities.  :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And others don't see how it makes sense to dredge up the history of the Bills as an organization for every decision this FO makes

There ya go.

Newsflash: Frequent and longtime posters on a Bills fan board are disproportionately more likely than casual fans to care a lot about franchise history and raise it as a topic of discussion. Embrace it.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Newsflash: Frequent and longtime posters on a Bills fan board are disproportionately more likely than casual fans to care a lot about franchise history and raise it as a topic of discussion. Embrace it.

Oh, I am, I am;  Shouldn't have Traded Lamonica! ☺️

But still, Dave, there's a difference between caring about franchise history and raising it as a topic of discussion per se, vs bringing up all the decisions of previous FO and historical w/l record and previous draft choices whenever a recent decision is discussed.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But still, Dave, there's a difference between caring about franchise history and raising it as a topic of discussion per se, vs bringing up all the decisions of previous FO and historical w/l record and previous draft choices whenever a recent decision is discussed.

Speaking of making no sense.:lol:

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is nothing more about someone than their opinion............you are clearly lost in yours.......read the room.............it started with a story about Lamonica's nickname by the OP and is practically all Lamonica discussion.

It's dubious whether some backup from 50 years ago who has a passing opinion on Allen deserves it's own thread when we have tons of Allen threads where it could be merged into.............but a story about Lamonica is of timely interest because his trade turned out to be a disastrous mistake for the Bills at a time when the fanbase is watching the Mahomes mistake turn into a Super Bowl berth for a long time AFL/AFC rival.    

There is no chance that the OP didn't understand that invoking Lamonica wasn't going to elicit reaction about his trade.    It ALWAYS has for as long as this board has existed.      It's like starting an OJ thread and thinking nobody will mention anything about his post-career activities.  :doh:

Interesting fact: Lamonica started the Immaculate Reception game and was benched after going 6-18 for 45 yards and 2 picks. Stabler wasn't much better, going 6-12 for 57 yards, 3 sacks, and 2 fumbles. Still, the Raiders absolutely should have won that game and would have if not for the craziest (and arguably most controversial; it's up there with the tuck rule and the Robey-Coleman play) play in NFL history.  

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Interesting fact: Lamonica started the Immaculate Reception game and was benched after going 6-18 for 45 yards and 2 picks. Stabler wasn't much better, going 6-12 for 57 yards, 3 sacks, and 2 fumbles. Still, the Raiders absolutely should have won that game and would have if not for the craziest (and arguably most controversial) play in NFL history.  

Also interesting that Kemp took the Bills to 3 straight AFL title games............and then Lamonica went to the next 4 straight.

Easy to see why that really burned Bills fans of the era.     It was still very frequently discussed in the stands at games in the late 80's.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 12:38 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is that many of the Bills idiotic moves over the years have had a long term negative impact on not only the franchise, but also the fanbase. When the Bills passed on great linemen on both sides of the ball (HUGE needs at the time mind you) to draft Whitner and then McKelvin, these unthinkably dumb moves pretty much buried any chance at a Super Bowl, let alone playoff appearances.

In the case of trading away from Mahomes (and Watkins) for a defensive back, it is rather early to assess just how much damage was done. I am thrilled that we do have Allen. He is a talented, exciting player to watch. The thing is, if he doesn't pan out, this could go down as one of the dumbest moves in NFL history. I mean it is possible.

The above is why I am not surprised when the past blunders are mentioned by posters, and the ones I listed barely scratch the surface.

48 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The thing is that many of the Bills idiotic moves over the years have had a long term negative impact on not only the franchise, but also the fanbase. When the Bills passed on great linemen on both sides of the ball (HUGE needs at the time mind you) to draft Whitner and then McKelvin, these unthinkably dumb moves pretty much buried any chance at a Super Bowl, let alone playoff appearances.

In the case of trading away from Mahomes (and Watkins) for a defensive back, it is rather early to assess just how much damage was done. I am thrilled that we do have Allen. He is a talented, exciting player to watch. The thing is, if he doesn't pan out, this could go down as one of the dumbest moves in NFL history. I mean it is possible.

The above is why I am not surprised when the past blunders are mentioned by posters, and the ones I listed barely scratch the surface.

I understand, believe me.  A team doesn't bank up such a long playoff drought in the Age of Parity by random chance.  Some serious systematic organizational problems need to be in place.  On the other hand, even grade school basketball players are taught, if you miss a shot or make a mistake, you can't go back and say "if only we hit it/if only I didn't..." because the whole game at that point is different.  Your team's choices are different, their team's choices are different.  Move on and do better going forward.   And in the end, it's not one or two player choices that doom or spark a team.  The rest of the structure matters.

And many of those choices are poor seen only in hindsight.  My personal nit is trading up to draft TJ Graham when Russ Wilson was on the board in the third round in 2012.  The 3rd round was the perfect place to take a shot on an obviously talented guy who fell due to questions over his height.  When we traded up, I was "we're going for Wilson!  We're gonna draft Wilson!  Wait, WHO?"  Today, of course, 28 or so teams could be kicking themselves that they passed on Wilson 2x, with an additional 8 or so kicking themselves for a 3rd pass.  9 teams passed on Mahomes in 2017, including a team that needed a QB and drafted at #1.  It's not as though he were overwhelmingly seen as a "can't miss" generational talent *at that time*.  Of course today, probably 30 teams with a "do over" would draft him in their slot or try to work a trade.  At the time he was seen as a talented QB with some holes whose "Air Raid" background made him a questionmark to succeed in the NFL. 

I remember when we traded Lamonica.  My grandfather was so irate!  He was such a gentle man - tall and strong, but restrained and quiet.  Had a plaque over his workbench "Even a Fish Wouldn't Get Into Trouble if It Kept Its Mouth Shut" and lived by it.  Back in those days, Kindergardeners weren't automatically exposed to the vocabulary he used that day.  And then the next season, when Oak won the AFC championship and went to the Superbowl while the Bills went 4-10 with an aging Kemp, he was notably furious. 

I'm more than willing to charge Beane with what I see as his mistakes, but at some point, it seems to me if a fan can't let go of past team choices made by different owners, GMs and coaches, they are in truth what I style myself in screen name, a "Hapless Bills Fan". 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

What's frustrating as a fan of the organization is 

A.  The repetition of the same fundamental errors over and over

B.  The excuse of said errors because "it's not fair to a new regime"

Ultimately having an organizational memory and learning from it shouldn't be a lot to ask..........but the buck stops at the ownership level.

What McDermott did in clearing his roster of high leverage players from previous regimes......then causing high draft picks to be used to replace them.......was nothing new to this franchise.   It's been happening over and over since Donahoe took over.   Nor was NOT using their original first pick in round 1(or trading up from it) on a QB............that hadn't been done for 58 prior years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

@Bill from NYC - I think you need to differentiate between CBs and safeties. A lockdown CB is as important as a good LT in today's NFL. The problem with drafting McKelvin wasn't a positional one; it was drafting him over Aqib Talib. Now I know that Talib was and still is a borderline criminal, but he is an elite player who has helped multiple teams get to championship games and Super Bowls (NE, Denver, the Rams).