"The Mad Bomber" Lamonica weighs in on JA17

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

@Bill from NYC - I think you need to differentiate between CBs and safeties. A lockdown CB is as important as a good LT in today's NFL. The problem with drafting McKelvin wasn't a positional one; it was drafting him over Aqib Talib. Now I know that Talib was and still is a borderline criminal, but he is an elite player who has helped multiple teams get to championship games and Super Bowls (NE, Denver, the Rams). 

Yeah the CB position is the one that has increased the most in value over the last decade.

It was still a bit sketchy using early first round picks on CB around the time of Leodis............and frankly Leodis would probably be a mid-round pick with the evaluation of today.    Very athletic but lacking in so many other areas.

The talent at the CB position has risen because that's where the rules changes steered the need and now it's where the money is.  And consistent money.........you don't have to be one of the top 5 CB in the league to get paid like it anymore.    Lotta' guys that would have been RB's or WR's back in the day have taken their talent to CB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

@Bill from NYC - I think you need to differentiate between CBs and safeties. A lockdown CB is as important as a good LT in today's NFL. The problem with drafting McKelvin wasn't a positional one; it was drafting him over Aqib Talib. Now I know that Talib was and still is a borderline criminal, but he is an elite player who has helped multiple teams get to championship games and Super Bowls (NE, Denver, the Rams). 

Dave, after McKelvin was selected, look who went in 2 of the following 4 picks. Seriously? Remember, we had NO blocking in those days. Zero. The Bills were a weak, pansy ass team. The only good blockers we had during those bleak years we let walk away as free agents. No, wait.....we also traded a Hall of Fame Left tackle.

Clady and Albert were excellent blockers. We didn't want them. We wanted a cornerback. Mahomes and Watson (admittedly my choice at the time) were very good QB prospects. Instead, we took a cornerback and I would not care if he was the equal to Mel Blount (which he is not), it was a stupid move.  As Badol said (in so many words, more of the same).