"The Mad Bomber" Lamonica weighs in on JA17

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/22/buffalo-bills-daryle-lamonica-alumni-josh-allen-afl-championships-raiders/

may be paywall; free trial

On his nickname:

“When I heard that nickname, I didn’t like it much,” Lamonica says. “I thought, ‘What a dumb name; it sounds like I don’t know where I’m throwing the ball.’ The next week, I get under center and I make eye contact with the cornerback – and he backs up three steps. And I thought, ‘Well, OK, I like that.’ ”

On Josh Allen:

"Daryle Lamonica likes Josh Allen, because of course he does. “He reminds me of me,” the Mad Bomber says. The similarities are striking:

Strong arm? Check.

Strong personality? Check.

Strong ties to the neighboring Northern California communities of Fresno and Firebaugh? Check and check."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/22/buffalo-bills-daryle-lamonica-alumni-josh-allen-afl-championships-raiders/

may be paywall; free trial

On his nickname:

“When I heard that nickname, I didn’t like it much,” Lamonica says. “I thought, ‘What a dumb name; it sounds like I don’t know where I’m throwing the ball.’ The next week, I get under center and I make eye contact with the cornerback – and he backs up three steps. And I thought, ‘Well, OK, I like that.’ ”

On Josh Allen:

"Daryle Lamonica likes Josh Allen, because of course he does. “He reminds me of me,” the Mad Bomber says. The similarities are striking:

Strong arm? Check.

Strong personality? Check.

Strong ties to the neighboring Northern California communities of Fresno and Firebaugh? Check and check."

I remember when trading Lamonica used to be the biggest personnel mistake in Bills history.

He had a hell of a run in Oakland but never won them a SB.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember when trading Lamonica used to be the biggest personnel mistake in Bills history.

So when does the statute of limitations on Bills mistakes by FO personnel who are no longer with them run out?

When they leave the Bills? 

When they pass on? 

Never?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, teef said:

did he just speak of himself in the 3rd person?

The first quotation mark was quoting the article, not DL. Notice the matching quotation mark at the end.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So when does the statute of limitations on Bills mistakes by FO personnel who are no longer with them run out?

When they leave the Bills? 

When they pass on? 

Never?

I don't really see how those questions make sense relative to the Bills as an organization.

But I suppose if you are highly emotional person then you need to try to forget it immediately..........hit the stages of grief etc...............if you are thoughtful you can remember it,  keep the perspective and even find the humor in it.

It's like that Horace Walpole quote that one of our angry apologists used to have in his sig line:

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel."

Never really found out if he used that because he knew he was a Bills emo or if he was totally confused.? 

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The first quotation mark was quoting the article, not DL. Notice the matching quotation mark at the end.

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Major style points for this.  My OCD approves!  ?

I would have used single quotes for the DL quote and double quotes to quote the article. Better yet, use the <quote> tag for the article and keep the double quotes for the DL quote.

I'm not OCD, but I am a meticulous writer. ?

35 minutes ago, teef said:

did you have to take that away from me?

Tom always feels the need to clarify things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And others don't see how it makes sense to dredge up the history of the Bills as an organization for every decision this FO makes

There ya go.

Bringing up the most significant decisions/moments in a franchise's history is what fans are going to do..........whether that's a magnificent AFC Championship win or a brutal SB choke job.

Thanks for the thread on "Bills great" Daryle Lamonica............a reserve for the team 50+ years ago that ranks right behind Thad Lewis in career starts for the team.

He's significant in Bills history for one reason............heaven forbid we utter it.?

“I talked to Ralph Wilson the night before and he told me, ‘You’re going to come back and be our starting quarterback,’ ” Lamonica says. “And eight hours later I was traded. I was absolutely devastated.”

Yet another example, Ralph is cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

Second best winning percentage in NFL history. Lost SB II to Lombardi's Packers. Knocked out of the playoffs by the Immaculate Reception. Got knocked out early in the AFC Championship by Bubba Smith one year resulting in the Colts going to the SB. Threw for over 400 yards in another AFL Championship, losing a close one to Namath and the Jets, the ones that went on to win the SB. Lucky he was not. He did throw 6 TD passes against the Bills, in the fist half, a feat

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rumor was that Lamonica was fooling around with another player's wife.  If true that sort of thing was not tolerated back then and supposedly the player in question was big enough to pound Lamonica rather easily.  

• Like (+1) 1