Brandon Beane interview from the Senior Bowl 1-21

YoloinOhio

Beane addresses Bills pending free agents, Senior Bowl process

The Bills GM spoke with the media in Mobile

Mobile, Alabama (WGR550) - “It’s always an interview.”

That’s how Brandon Beane described the scene here this week as the Bills general manager, his front office and coaching staff evaluate players all while at the Senior Bowl.  And he’s not just referring to the actual interviews they have with prospects.

“We have scouts that are tracking these guys, and runners trying to get a hold of them, and how do they treat those people? Was the guy a pain in the butt to get over to our interview?  Did he not show, or was he not responsive to texts?  If it’s showing up now, it’s probably going to show up if you draft him.”

Beane touched on a few different topics related to the Bills:

• On the number of players requiring postseason surgeries:

Beane said players across the league often get second opinions on things once the season is over, and sometimes elect to have certain procedures done on their own.  He said he doesn’t expect any players to not be ready for training camp, barring any setbacks.

• On possibly extending the contracts of LT Dion Dawkins, CB Tre’Davious White, and LB Matt Milano, all who will be going into the final year of their contract (the Bills can exercise the 5th-year option on White):

The GM didn’t want to get into any specifics on any player, but said “We’ve said all along we want to draft, develop, and sign, and that clock has finally started.”  He said there’s no rush to sign them right now and the team needs to go through their process of pending free agents first.

• On the team’s pending free agents (including DE Shaq Lawson, OG Quinton Spain, and DT Jordan Phillips):

He said they’ve had preliminary discussions with some of those players’ agents, but also that some of them are going to want to test their market value and that they’ve earned the right to do that.  He said that doesn’t mean if the player goes to free agency that they still can’t or won’t re-sign him.

• On new DL coach Eric Washington:

“He’s one of the best D-Line coaches I’ve been around.  He’ll bring a toughness and an edge.  He’s a big-time leader.  He fits what Sean (McDermott) and I are trying to do, and I think he’s going to be a big asset for coach (Leslie) Frazier.”

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/beane-addresses-bills-pending-fas-senior-bowl-process

link to audio (14 min)

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/1-21-brandon-beane

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 8

well you are going to get my 10,000 post...

After listening:

1.) Set value on FAs and need to be willing to let them go

2.) Lorax played unique position

3.) Compare players in same position from different conferences or who didn't have common opponents and will watch tape from the senior bowl practices and game to see how they compare against the same guy

4.) may not need all of the picks - can trade for future picks or to move up. Want guys who can make the roster and now that it is a bit deeper, hard to take a player who might not make the team

5.) Biggest take away

a.) Edge compare to who we have - how smart are they what's their skill set

b.) guys in the draft right not who he is aware of and who can come in and play for us right away but they go pretty quick though.

c.) not sure how long they will last in the draft vs what's in FA

d.) It's a premium position and that's why there is a big APY when they sign (Exactly what @BADOLBILZ frequently says). There are some FAs coming up as well that we will have to weigh against our UFAs

6.) WR class

a.) some guys at the senior bowl liked the list a lot - said was even better a couple weeks ago, but a couple guys had to bow out to injury it's still pretty good.

b.) will meet with some WRs tonight, defintely some guys who can come in and helps us, but there are a good amount of underclassman coming out, so right now it looks like thier will be a lot of options for us

c.) Asked about Aiyuk watched his name did some really nice things have not been able to meet him, . Scouts have done the background on him doesn't want to give too much away - was looking forward to watching him participate will spend some time with him and definitely a guy who can play on Sundays.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

After listening:

3.) Compare players in same position from different conferences or who didn't have common opponents and will watch tape from the senior bowl practices and game to see how they compare against the same guy

4.) may not need all of the picks - can trade for future picks or to move up. Want guys who can make the roster and now that it is a bit deeper, hard to take a player who might not make the team

5.) Biggest take away

b.) guys in the draft right not who he is aware of and who can come in and play for us right away but they go pretty quick though.

d.) It's a premium position and that's why there is a big APY when they sign (Exactly what @BADOLBILZ frequently says). There are some FAs coming up as well that we will have to weigh against our UFAs

6.) WR class

a.) some guys at the senior bowl liked the list a lot - said was even better a couple weeks ago, but a couple guys had to bow out to injury it's still pretty good.

b.) will meet with some WRs tonight, defintely some guys who can come in and helps us, but there are a good amount of underclassman coming out, so right now it looks like thier will be a lot of options for us

c.) Asked about Aiyuk watched his name did some really nice things have not been able to meet him, . Scouts have done the background on him doesn't want to give too much away - was looking forward to watching him participate will spend some time with him and definitely a guy who can play on Sundays.

Welcome to 10,000. :beer:

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

After listening:

5.) Biggest take away

6.) WR class

Congratulations!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

After listening:

5.) Biggest take away

6.) WR class

Good summary. 

1) It sounded to me as though he had some flex in how they value FA depending upon what the market turns out to be - that they are evaluating our UFA against others and the market as you say in 5a), but the market will play into the eventual value they place on our guys (if that makes sense)

2) Sounded to me as though he implied Lorax helped them make the D work (or not work) with the guys they currently have, and that weighs in to the FA evaluation process?  Maybe I'm reading stuff in. 

4) Agree with your take of what he said here, want to add that he also mentioned injury concerns.  Sounded as though they would be on the look out for quality guys who may fall due to injury concern and they might be able to stash on IR and develop.

I left with the impression that the Bills if anything will be more likely to trade up in the draft for an edge guy they really like, whereas they feel WR talent is deep enough they can pick up a receiver or two.  I would also like to put it out there that since we have 2 - 5th round picks and 3 - 6th round picks which are not of themselves high value to combine, it would not entirely stun me to see a player who may not make the roster for the Bills next year packaged with a pick or two in an effort to obtain a better pick this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good summary. 

1) It sounded to me as though he had some flex in how they value FA depending upon what the market turns out to be - that they are evaluating our UFA against others and the market as you say in 5a), but the market will play into the eventual value they place on our guys (if that makes sense)

2) Sounded to me as though he implied Lorax helped them make the D work (or not work) with the guys they currently have, and that weighs in to the FA evaluation process?  Maybe I'm reading stuff in. 

4) Agree with your take of what he said here, want to add that he also mentioned injury concerns.  Sounded as though they would be on the look out for quality guys who may fall due to injury concern and they might be able to stash on IR and develop.

I left with the impression that the Bills if anything will be more likely to trade up in the draft for an edge guy they really like, whereas they feel WR talent is deep enough they can pick up a receiver or two.  I would also like to put it out there that since we have 2 - 5th round picks and 3 - 6th round picks which are not of themselves high value to combine, it would not entirely stun me to see a player who may not make the roster for the Bills next year packaged with a pick or two in an effort to obtain a better pick this year.

what Edge do you think we'd trade up for.   Chase Young is a dream/long-shot, not sure who is worth trading up for after that??  Chaisson?

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

what Edge do you think we'd trade up for.   Chase Young is a dream/long-shot, not sure who is worth trading up for after that??  Chaisson?

I honestly don't know, sorry; I'm simply responding to @Reed83HOF 'take' on what Beane said that we want guys who can make the roster hence we may not need all our 9 draft picks - of which 5 are 5th or 6th round, plus what Beane explicitly said in the presser about there being a couple Edge in the draft who could definitely come in and start, but "those guys usually go fast".

I don't think Beane is "locked in" on any course of action at present; I think it's going to depend upon the results of their scouting combined with what they can accomplish in FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good summary. 

I really think Beane will go after a guy who can set the edge and pass rush in FA, I also think he will attempt to swing big - if he can't get it done at the value he wants Shaq will be back, but I truly believe he will spend here. I am starting to come around at Yetur at #22 and moving for the WR in RD2. 

I was playing around yesterday with the draft value chart and:

We only have enough overall points (1509.1 pts) to trade up to CAR pick#7 (1500 pts), that would be our entire draft so I don't see us going that high LOL. Pick#10 would be the highest I see us going and that still doesn't leave us much of a draft. It would come down to a top 3 WR (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) or Chaisson sliding IMO. What I could see us doing is something like this:

1.) 5th RD Pick#137 (37.5pts) + Pick#149 (31.8pts) = (69.39 pts) = Indy RD4 Pick#112(70pts)

2.) 6th RD PIck#168 (24.2pts) + Pick#181 (19pts) + Pick #182 (18.6pts) = (61.8 pts) = Philly RD#4 (60pts) Pick 117

Which gets us to this:

RD1 Pick #22 (780 pts)

RD2 Pick#54  (360 pts)

RD3 Pick#86  (160 pts)

RD4 Pick#118  (58 pts)

RD4 Pick#112  (70 pts)

RD4 Pick#117 (31.8 pts)

You can see the rough point value for RD2 and RD3 and what it would take to go up further.

1.) RD 4 Pick#s 118 (58) + 112 (70) =(128)= RD3 Tenn Pick#93 (128 pts)

2.) RD 2 Pick#54 (360) + RD3 Pick#86 (160) = (520 pts) = Car Pick#38 (520 pts)

This would give us:

RD1 Pick #22

RD2 Pick #38

RD3 Pick #93

RD4 Pick #117

The only edge in the draft who if I read what Beane was saying would be AJ Epenesa who looks to be going somewhere around (Pick#10 - Pick #22). I doubt he would go earlier, but he would certainly not slide past us. Young and Chaisson will certainly be gone before him.

I don't see Yetur Gross-Matos as that guy who can start and contribute immediately though - he still has some developing to do skill wise and his frame could fill out more, but he is super athletic and has a very high ceiling for a pass rusher (could be the heir apparent to Hughes). This would actually allow us to still sign a big FA Edge guy, create depth at the position and not hurt our cap at all. Most importantly he hits Beane's super athlete sky high potential first round guy. I really haven't focused a ton on him, but it appears this makes a lot of sense if we stay at pick#22 or only move slightly up. CB is still a top option at 22 if these guys are gone. 

Pick#38 would give us prime position to draft a top Tier 2 wideout such as Justin Jefferson & Brandon Aiyuk. This would make a ton of sense for us, both are very athletic and Jefferson performed well on a championship team. Right around the last 2 picks (RD3 & RD4) OTs, DBs, WRs, LBs and RBs (Helaire) seem to dominate the draft boards as of right now, which would fit needs and be BPA. 

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

It depends on which scenarios play out in FA and the draft, if a top 3 WR falls to around 13-ish Beane may pounce for the WR (Lamb, Jeudy & Ruggs - tell me he isn't a Radier though; are too good to pass up IMO).

It get's murky after that, CB & S have great value at 22, but I am coming around on Yetur for his potential overall potential, it will take him a year or 2 to fill out and grow into his frame and develop and he will have ups and downs in year 1 - can replace Hughes if he is either let go in 2021 or when his contract is up. It wouldn't kill our cap to do this, even if we added a top Edge in FA. 

We can easily get into the upper RD2 and grab a WR there, who looks as of now to be in the same Tier class as Higgins, Jeferson & Aiyuk. Jalen Reagor is a guy to watch, who is ranked low, but could go in mid-RD1 through early RD2. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would also like to put it out there that since we have 2 - 5th round picks and 3 - 6th round picks which are not of themselves high value to combine, it would not entirely stun me to see a player who may not make the roster for the Bills next year packaged with a pick or two in an effort to obtain a better pick this year.

If we re-sign Spain, Long could be a guy on the move if we decide to kick Ford inside. I'm not entirely sure who else would bring enough value in a trade scenario, unless it was a transition-tag sign and trade guy like Lawson?

I will throw this one out there as a wow move, but would you move Poyer and what value would he bring? 

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

This FA is setting up to be one of the best years in a long time for picking up an edge rusher.  I think that is where it will be addressed.

Totally agree.  There's a good mix too of vet and young talent.  Of course several will be tagged or signed by their existing team.  They have to know the pass rush wasn't good enough and keeping Murphy and re-signing Shaq won't change that.  I think they also realize adding a pass rusher allows them to value sign at other defensive positions.  

32 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If we re-sign Spain, Long could be a guy on the move if we decide to kick Ford inside. I'm not entirely sure who else would bring enough value in a trade scenario, unless it was a transition-tag sign and trade guy like Lawson?

I will throw this one out there as a wow move, but would you move Poyer and what value would he bring? 

I put it out there if Beane contemplates a move to trade Poyer, McDermott takes him to the mat in a cross-face cradle until he re-contemplates

I also put it out there, I am NOT the one who made these observations but if it’s correct that Spain is just a fraction slow in the initial pass pro block and Dawkins/Morse are helping him (and we know the Titans upgraded LG from Spain to Saffold to “free Henry”), Spain needs upgrade.  Do we know whether Ford can play LG and how Mongo compares on the L vs R side?

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I put it out there if Beane contemplates a move to trade Poyer, McDermott takes him to the mat in a cross-face cradle until he re-contemplates

I also put it out there, I am NOT the one who made these observations but if it’s correct that Spain is just a fraction slow in the initial pass pro block and Dawkins/Morse are helping him (and we know the Titans upgraded LG from Spain to Saffold to “free Henry”), Spain needs upgrade.  Do we know whether Ford can play LG and how Mongo compares on the L vs R side?

LOL I agree with all of that. Was just trying to be provocative and think as to who we have that we could possibly trade!

For the first time in my Bills fandom I fully trust the front office, they have made many more good moves than bad ones overall and their results have been very solid and they have an excellent situation going forward if Josh can develop even more modestly. I think he has the right idea in wanting to not dramatically overpay for Phillips, Lawson and Spain. But I am curious to see if Beane goes "Big Game Hunting" in free agency and goes after a top elite talent like Yannick or Clowney or if he tries to reproduce last off-season where he goes maybe after one 10 million plus aav free agent (around what Mitch got) and then spreads around a few mid-level contracts to fill the remaining gaps. 

I think personally the team is better off adjusting the approach to retain the team's own free agents and add 1 elite talent and maybe one mid-level contract, and then spending the rest of the money on depth/role players in a manner that still allows the team to roll over 30-40 million in cap space for upcoming extensions. 

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

It kinda sounds like you think the only spot to trade up is in the 1st round which requires blowing your load. Beane is probably talking on a broader basis. Maybe there's no one the value works out on that early, but moving up to the top of the 2nd for a lesser prospect may be worthwhile. 

Beane’s scouting philosophy is rooted in a few basic principles. He believes strongly in getting an in-person look at players. Whether that’s a live game during the fall or an event like the Senior Bowl, Beane likes to see how he moves around up close, understand how he interacts with other players and takes to coaching, feel the way he handles his opponents.

In college football, receivers rarely face press coverage or complex coverage schemes. Not many get the opportunity to run a diverse route tree. The nuances of route running aren’t of the utmost importance with so much open space in secondaries.

“We were just talking about this because, for a lot of these guys, it’s the first time they’ve faced press coverage,” Beane said. “You want to see how they do and how they react. There’s so much free release in a spread offense, so how is a guy going to deal with the length and the strength of some of these corners that play in the league? Can he get off press or is this guy a slot only? There are some good guys here where you know he’s never going to win outside. There’s a certain value you put on a slot-only guy. They have value, but they’re less versatile.

“There’s that, plus the coverages. NFL coverages are way more disguised, harder for these guys to read. And there are certain route concepts where a guy does need to know the coverage to know what he’s going to do. He may have options in his route based off of Cover 2 or Cover 3, man or zone.”

Some of these schools, we joke that the guy has three routes: a go, a stop and a curl,” Beane said. “There’s a lot more intricacies when they get to the NFL with the route running. So physically, can they do it? Do they have the skill set, or is this a straight line guy who can’t get do anything else? Also, you have to figure out the mental. Are they only lining him up on the left side. I’ve seen a guy one year in the SEC where they only lined this guy up on his sideline, so they could tell the guy what they were running or somebody would give a signal of what the defense was. You have to figure out whether it’s the system or are they trying to hide the player?”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4