Do you think the Bills are going to make a big run at Clowney?

njbuff

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What is a process guy? Because every time a really good FA is mentioned as a possible signing someone chimes in “not part of the process”. I still don't get it.

I was the original person to say he wasn't a process guy.  What I mean by a "process guy" is a person that totally buys into what McDermott is selling.  Coach McDermott is s great leader of men.  But he  needs them all to totally buy into his program which includes teamwork and loving your teammates, and no person is greater than than the team,  etc. 

Not sure, but I suspect that maybe Clowney is not that kind of guy.  If not, we can't use him.

McDermott  traded Sammy cuz he wasn't his kind of guy and instead holds onto Frank Gore and DiMarco because they are.  Because they are "process" guys.

6 hours ago, Dougy84 said:

While Bud Dupree would be sweet, I think Pitt locks him up. I'd love to go a little cheaper and target Matt Judon from Baltimore. Dude is a beast

I don't know. Pitt has less than $2M in cap space. They love, and are great at,  drafting LBs. Maybe they let Dupree walk, draft his replacement, and use the money on Minkah.

22 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t see it.  I believe that Beane wants to draft and retain and I don’t think that’s lip service.  I just can’t see them shelling out that kind of money for a DE

Agreed.  Speaking in broad strokes: sign the guys on this team that are important, or corner stones to their future, pick up 1 or maybe 2 reasonable FAs at positions of upmost need, and keep drafting as well as you have and let this thing keep building the way it has.  Left over money to sign future home grown FAs?  great.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd argue that signing both just would not fit their expressed methods. They've said again and again that they build with the draft and fill in with FAs and that they don't do a lot of expensive FAs.

Assuming they are going to pick one or the other (unlikely but possible, IMO), yeah, I absolutely think one is more responsible than the other. The one who has played in 62 of 64 games the last four years over the one who has played in 35 of 48 games the last three years and will be 32, an age where injuries tend to increase.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Yeah, the Bills right now have 53 players under contract, and $89 mill available. Yeah, but that includes guys like Christian Wade, Kaare Vedvik, Cam Lewis, Tyrel Dodson and Victor Salako and you can say they have 53 guys, but those guys are absolute minimum salaries against the cap right now. It's not very different at all from last year. But last year we had basically nobody they could re-sign. This year quite a few guys could possibly be re-inked, including Tre'D or Dion Dawkins, though they also might wait to do 'em.

Expressed methods or not—this team lacks superstars in every way. And they don’t have time to draft and develop all of them before they have to (hopefully) start paying premium dollars to big-money positions like OT, CB, and QB.

My question about which being more responsible is $35M on 4 role players vs $35M on 2 superstars; is one more “responsible” than the other?

The same comment about bottom-of-the-roster quantity applies to last year’s total as well. The less-than-40 included no-name guys that won’t make the 53 like Cam Phillips and Lafayette Pitts. Their roster situation is massively different from last year at this time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So where is the 90M in space being spent?

I think the popular understanding is that you pay up to 'retain" and that by having the exact same players with higher salaries, you become better. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Expressed methods or not—this team lacks superstars in every way. And they don’t have time to draft and develop all of them before they have to (hopefully) start paying premium dollars to big-money positions like OT, CB, and QB.

My question about which being more responsible is $35M on 4 role players vs $35M on 2 superstars; is one more “responsible” than the other?

The same comment about bottom-of-the-roster quantity applies to last year’s total as well. The less-than-40 included no-name guys that won’t make the 53 like Cam Phillips and Lafayette Pitts. Their roster situation is massively different from last year at this time.

What you are describing, 2 superstars for $35 mil, made me think of what the Jets did last offseason with Bell and Mosley. I think the difference between the Jets last year and the Bills this year is how the Bills approached FA last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was the original person to say he wasn't a process guy.  What I mean by a "process guy" is a person that totally buys into what McDermott is selling.  Coach McDermott is s great leader of men.  But he  needs them all to totally buy into his program which includes teamwork and loving your teammates, and no person is greater than than the team,  etc. 

Not sure, but I suspect that maybe Clowney is not that kind of guy.  If not, we can't use him.

McDermott  traded Sammy cuz he wasn't his kind of guy and instead holds onto Frank Gore and DiMarco because they are.  Because they are "process" guys.

yep. exactly.

Is Clowney the guy to lead the Rookies on and off the off the field ? and become defensive Captain. Because McD wants them all to be of that mindset.

No Mario Williams personal fridge types on this team

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Judon is gonna get more than Dupree this offseason.

and we wont get either : (

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

“The original person” lol.  The VERY FIRST

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd bet Clowney is thinking," I'm worth $18-$20 mil/year" range....anybody SERIOUSLY think McBeane has him on speed dial for THAT number??.............

He’d pay 18 fosho

20 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Where are these holes?  I think growth and a couple players is all thats needed.  A second RB and a big WR is all I see.  I think ppl forget all the new faces on offense this past season.  The offense would get better as it is just with another offseason.

Josh will improve.  

The Oline, especially Ford will improve.

Singletary.

The TEs.

Unless you think Rooks are a finished product coming out of the draft.

OL maybe.

TE really??

Edge I agree with.

WR is a possibility.

TE yes really.  Cutting Kroft saves almost $6 million.  Take that money, add to it, and sign Hunter Henry.  Two tight end sets are en vogue, and our offense certainly needs all the help it gets.  Sign Henry, add lineman, a RB, a #1WR, and a couple more, with deepest WR draft perhaps of all time.

do you actually believe we are set at TE with Kroft, Knox, and Lee Smith?   

15 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What you are describing, 2 superstars for $35 mil, made me think of what the Jets did last offseason with Bell and Mosley. I think the difference between the Jets last year and the Bills this year is how the Bills approached FA last year. 

Well, obviously you need to spend wisely. $35M on a RB and ILB is silly IMO. That’s premium money at two non-premium positions.

$35M for a WR1 and an EDGE guy is premium money for premium positions when you consider the salary hierarchy across the league.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

TE yes really.  Cutting Kroft saves almost $6 million.  Take that money, add to it, and sign Hunter Henry.  Two tight end sets are en vogue, and our offense certainly needs all the help it gets.  Sign Henry, add lineman, a RB, a #1WR, and a couple more, with deepest WR draft perhaps of all time.

do you actually believe we are set at TE with Kroft, Knox, and Lee Smith?   

Cutting Kroft saves $4.8M

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I don’t think they’d do it unless or until they scored a TE like Henry or Hooper.

Right. I don't think anyone under contract is getting cut until we have acquired what we believe to be an upgrade. Plenty of cap, easy to be conservative until the end of May.

• Like (+1) 1