Do you think the Bills are going to make a big run at Clowney?

njbuff

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I didnt mean that all 3 would equal Clowney, just that I'd rather bring all them back than worry about Clowney.

$15M, $10M, and $20M still leaves us $45M in cap space. And it's a solid long term investment in a good spot- the trenches.

That's too much to invest in the D-line with contracts coming up for Milano, Dawkins, White, Poyer (possibly), Edmunds, and hopefully another FA play maker on offense. 

Beane used a lot of draft capital and free agency money (Oliver, Harry, Star) at D-tackle to pay a rotational guy that much in Phillips.  A lower cost option to throw into the rotation is more likely.  If we do somehow break the bank for Yannick then it's more likely we take a DE in the first few rounds then resign Shaq.  Conversely, we could resign Shaq and then draft another pass rusher if we don't decide to sign a premium pass rusher in free agency.  If I had to guess Beane does that before signing a big name DE in free agency.

23 minutes ago, chongli said:

Baltimore said they would franchise Judon if they can't agree to a deal.

Wasn't aware of that.  Last I heard was Harbaugh saying it would be difficult to get a deal done with him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Correct Answer.  Reward Jordan & Shaq. Sign Ngakoue to a reasonable deal.

He's going to sign for over 100 million for 5 years somewhere probably.  I wouldn't consider that a reasonable deal.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So where is the 90M in space being spent?

Same way it was last year, with lots of mid- to lower-level guys. With a bunch of re-signing our own guys thrown in. And there's no requirement that every last dime be spent. Last year they left a bunch unspent to be rolled over into this year, and they might very easily do the same thing again.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Wasn't aware of that.  Last I heard was Harbaugh saying it would be difficult to get a deal done with him.

Yeah, Baltimore does not like to use the tag, but they said Judon would be their top priority in the off-season and they would tag him if necessary:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-to-use-franchise-tag-on-matt-judon-if-a-long-term-deal-cant-be-worked-out/

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao. They already have overpaid. Take a look at Stars contract and tell me they didn't overpay for him. 

They didn't overpay for him.

They may not be getting what you want, but they got what McDermott wanted and that's why they valued him that way. Since he's been here, they've had two absolutely top-flight defenses. McDermott knows how to put together an excellent defense, and he values Star. That you don't is very much beside the point.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And he’s more than twice the player Star is.....do you see how that works?

Nonsense. You measure a guy by how well he plays his position. Star plays his very well, and so does Clowney. Clowney's better but in no way twice as good.

They need someone who can rush and contain, aka not Murphy. I don't think it can be understated how important that is if they want to make the playoffs with next year's schedule. Getting rid of Star would be a big help as that guy is sideways on most of the interior run plays. Clowney seems an ideal for with Shaq to set the edge and collapse the pocket. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Same way it was last year, with lots of mid- to lower-level guys. With a bunch of re-signing our own guys thrown in. And there's no requirement that every last dime be spent. Last year they left a bunch unspent to be rolled over into this year, and they might very easily do the same thing again.

I wouldn’t call Morse being the highest paid center mid level. If anything from those regime the will highlight a class with a Big Name signing. Morse, Star 

mcd knows the value of a great edge player and natural pass rusher, he had kraken in carolina and that guy super charged their D.  they really fell off without him.

bean going after OBJ and AB shows hes will to throw down some chips for a big time player, and i think clowney fits that bill (if not him, than one of the other ones out there too, i'm not married to any of them).

i know lots of people are thinking since we seemed to get some utility out of signing more value guys last year that we should do that this year.  the problem with that is we only have so many roster spots, and we are lacking in talent and are long cap space, the solution is to pour a little more into some high impact guys.  yes we will over pay like we did for morse and star, but so what?  it's not like we win games with having extra cap room.  

Maj bobby had some sick threads on positions, based on what he's written i'd like to cut kroft and smith, sign hooper, let shak walk and sign clowney, and get either cooper or aj green (or whoever) as a splash WR all in FA.  if we front load the contracts to soak up lots of our excess cap space (and possibly do the same w white) then we will have room to make roster moves and re up dawkins, allen, millano, edumds, etc.

we will add like 5 to 7 guys every draft as well, so we'll have all the bodies and jags we want, but we have to go out and pay some talent.

I doubt it as Beane has said many times they will spend responsibly in FA but prefer to build thru the draft and resign their own. Speaking of which isn't White due for a new contract soon? The Bills will have to pay big money for him as he is a big part of what they are building in Buffalo.

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I doubt it as Beane has said many times they will spend responsibly in FA but prefer to build thru the draft and resign their own. Speaking of which isn't White due for a new contract soon? The Bills will have to pay big money for him as he is a big part of what they are building in Buffalo.

“Responsibly” doesn’t necessarily mean “inexpensively”. They gave a center with a concussion history $11M AAV last offseason; they’ll spend when they need to...and this year, they need to.

I think folks are really underestimating the amount of cap space this team has. They could sign 3 different $15M/year guys and still have plenty of room for draft picks and in-season transactions. And with Star potentially coming off the books next year, they still would have $60M to spend on extensions for Tre/Milano/Dawkins.

There is absolutely no reason to pinch pennies here.

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope we don't target Clowney in FA. He's too injury-prone, doesn't make enough difference-making plays, and will not warrant the money he'll get on the open mkt. I would guess that he'll break down completely from a physical standpoint in 2 more seasons or less.

If we are going to spend top dollar on this position, I would target Ngakoue, Judon, and Dupree in that order.

Yannick is by far the best...players like him don't make it to free agency EVER. Hugely productive, has never missed a game, Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee, and will only be 25 when next season starts...anything can happen, but all the signs point to a superstar who would be worth his big second contract.

If he's even available, they will do due diligence and make a reasonable offer. He would be the best pass rusher on the roster, but not a 15 sack type. He would also help our run defense a lot and we need that. My guess is that he'll stay in Seattle or, if not, get more money elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't mind having him.

I'm also hoping a healthier Jerry Hughes will have one last 10+ sack season, but we'd have to get a real threat opposite him and wouldn't Clowney at LE be just that? Yannick at RE is nice to contemplate, but then who plays LE in that scenario? I'm not excited by having Murphy or Shaq over there and Hughes would be better at RE.

At DT, I think Oliver and H Phillips will be the starters.

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the Bills were one of the teams in on trading for him.

I'm not a rocket scientist.  Humor me.  I mean, the Bills were said to be in on trading for AB also, but I don't believe it was more than a "due diligence" sniff.

4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Ahhhhh!

The never ending Buffalo quest to win games 6-0 and put us to bed by halftime.

Who's us?  You got a twin?  Or a mouse in your pocket?  Some of us love a good defensive battle.

15 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

think the Seattle deal included a no tag on Clowney so he will up for the highest bidders   I'm sure Beane will at least kick tires.  Honestly want them to dump assets into offense.  Defense is good enough they can resupply through the draft and minor free agents.

Probably true except at one position - Edge

I think most of agree the Bills biggest needs are WR and Edge.  With $90 million it behooves the Bills to fix both before the draft.   Elite edge players don't come cheap. Beane has made plays for Clowney before.   I'm sure he is doing his due diligence on Clowney, and if he's a great fit, he will very much be a player for Clowney.   IMO Seattle tags Clowney.  Beane will sign Edge and WR .  He will make a big signing at WR, Edge, OL, or TE IMO.

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I wouldn’t call Morse being the highest paid center mid level. If anything from those regime the will highlight a class with a Big Name signing. Morse, Star 

You wouldn't call an $11 mill a year player mid-level? I would. Star was even less. And pretending Morse and Star are "big name signings" is ridiculous.

Morse was the 16th highest FA signing in terms of average salary, if you only look at last year's FAs. That is certainly not top-level.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them sign another $10 or $11 million FA this year. I'd be very surprised to see them sign a high-level guy, though.