Do you think the Bills are going to make a big run at Clowney?

njbuff

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills were in on trading for him, but fell short.

Now that he might be free (if Seattle doesn't franchise him)..........

Will the Bills make another strong push for him?

I don’t know that the Bills were ever actually in on him.  There was nothing but twitter rumors, and never anything from the Bills that suggested there was any truth to them being really trying to get him.  I’m sure Beane inquired, but I never saw anything that suggested we actually tried to get him.

I think he stays in Seattle personally.  Beane already said he won’t be spending big in new FA and is focused on keeping on our own guys.  I am not expecting any big splashy FA signing.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao. They already have overpaid. Take a look at Stars contract and tell me they didn't overpay for him. 

Fair take, but they didn’t pay star that much for his on field production IMO. I know lots use the “he’s not meant to have stats just clog things up” kind of argument, which I kinda understand. But I think they paid him that big money cause he was the one guy on defense they wanted to come in and set the tone for the locker room. Same reason we trotted out Tolbert when we knew he was washed up. It’s been super obvious Mcdermott wants his locker room a certain way and he will keep players for that specific reason despite what they actually accomplish on the field. I can see no other reason for them to overpay Star that much when he couldn’t of had that big of a market and it really only makes sense that they wanted to start “the process” ?? in the locker room with him. 

Had to throw that in. 
Just my opinion once again but “the process” was for season one only. Setting the tone for what they wanted in the locker room. The culture of the team. Moving out players and bringing others in they were familiar with. 
“the process” is used as more of a silly excuse by us posters now. They have the culture they wanted, the players they wanted, they can add whoever they want now the locker room knows what’s up and should keep anyone in line with what they want done and how they want it done. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Clowney has never had double digit sacks. He's like Jerry Hughes. We already have a Jerry Hughes.

Clowney isn't "really good". Maybe above average. He's going to get paid like an elite player. Overpaying hopefully isn't a part of the process.

He's elite against the run and above average when rushing the passer.  Here's what everybody's favorite pff said about him recently....

Clowney put up an 88.0 overall grade in 2018 — the highest mark of his career — and he followed up with an 87.3 grade after a trade to the Seahawks despite seeing his sack total drop from nine to three. Clowney has the 11th-best overall grade among all edge defenders since 2017, including the third-best mark against the run (91.3), but his pass-rush grade of 83.9 ranks just 25th among that same group.

I'd prefer they didn't give him a record DE contract and pursued Judon (or somebody similar), but would understand why they'd do so.

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why didn’t Houston want to pay Clowney? That’s the question any GM who is interested needs to ask themselves. 

If I’m correct the issue with him and Houston was he wanted defensive end money, Houston wanted to pay him OLB money. 
I want to say they had issues over the franchise tag and what position he was being tagged for. That was the beginning of the end for their relationship. I think the difference was around 3-4 million. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If I’m correct the issue with him and Houston was he wanted defensive end money, Houston wanted to pay him OLB money. 
I want to say they had issues over the franchise tag and what position he was being tagged for. That was the beginning of the end for their relationship. I think the difference was around 3-4 million. 

Why do you get a rid of a guy that talented on a team that is supposedly contending for a super bowl over a few million? Something didn’t add up there IMO. They really seemed to have zero intrrrst in extending him a which is a red flag. 

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s essentially an excuse for when we don’t sign a good FA. 

Not counting on that. And I just think its the easiest/laziest way for folks to dismiss players they dont like without having to get into the details or justify their position.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane already said he won’t be spending big in new FA and is focused on keeping on our own guys.  I am not expecting any big splashy FA signing.

Both of you have been around long enough to know that no GM in history has honestly laid out their offseason plan in their postseason press conference before the playoffs are even over. I do expect them to keep our own guys, but...

It's "year 4" (McBeane's words) of the rebuild. They have their high draft pick QB of the future in place and on a rookie contract. They have $90M in cap space. Now is the time they will shift into a higher gear and make a move.

Maybe not as splashy as Clowney, but good money on Yannick (or the equivalent) should be expected.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why do you get a rid of a guy that talented on a team that is supposedly contending for a super bowl over a few million? Something didn’t add up there IMO. They really seemed to have zero intrrrst in extending him a which is a red flag. 

Only so much money to go around. I’m case you missed ESPN for our bills game JJ Watt plays there ? and Hopkins. 

I think they had to pick between clowney and Whitney Mercilus. They chose mercilus at a cheaper rate when clowney refused to play on the franchise tag. 

They were not in a great cap situation at the time I don’t think. Not sure they could of given him the 100 million I’m sure he would like. They had some rough contracts and a lot of mid level contracts. I could be wrong though 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

If you want a real answer to this, you have to try to get inside the head of Bill O'Brien. He called that shot. And good luck with the PTSD if you make it out of there alive.

And kinda in O'Brien's defense, they did just as well without him.

Am I off, or is Lawson a (very) poor man’s Clowney. Not much pass rush, but sets the edge well. I don’t see the Clowney love.  Doesn’t the Big Money come from QB pressures and sacks? Sorry, but I’m actually serious. What makes Clowney worth so much?  (Besides a college career and a highlight hit where he was inexplicably unblocked.) 

I think of him as “solid” more than “game changing”. Did I miss something? 

Thanks in advance to those who have watched more of his NFL play. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Yes the need a play maker ,  you cut Kroft/ Murphy/ Smith and that saves the Bills 15 million on the cap.  Murphy is bum who did next to nothing this season 

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

I believe part of the trade deal was that Seattle promised not to tag him 

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Just about everything here is wrong.

They are a team with an inside track if anything—Gaine is the Houston GM that pushed for a Clowney extension and got fired over it.

Yes, they have holes to fill on offense. Do both. They have a TON of cap space.

How many games has he actually missed in the last 4 years?

Knock it off with your facts...

In all seriousness, I think we are right about Edge here after listening to the Sal C/Vic interview. Premium position that goes quickly and sign large APY contracts - a few who could start immediately in the draft, will go quick in the draft and we will weigh the free agents against our own UFAs.

Granted it's early and he plays close to the vest, beane usually is fairly upfront about things - the best 2 ends in the draft will be long gone before we pick. My bet is a Clowney, a Yannick, possibly Chris Jones or Calais Campbell (if he is cut for Yannick) instead of Shaq and Phillips. He also said, they plan on signing the guys who are coming up, but no rush yet - they want to take care of FA first

WR Beane makes it sound really fluid and he likes the underclassman and the injured WRs not at the Senior Bowl. He is also willing to trade later round picks since they likely won't make the roster. So as of today my best guess is

1.) Edge in FA - willing to pay

2.) CB in RD1 - simply BPA (unless a top WR /Edge falls)

3.) Trade up to take the best WR in RDs 2 & 3

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep...

And 3 years ago when Hughes seemingly hit the height of his penalties, he had 6 all season... Clowney had 13 that year.

So he fits in with Jerry - let's gooooooooooooooooo!

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, id rather see them spend the money on JPhillips, Shaq, and Yannick.

No one has more penalties over the last 4 seasons than J Clowney. He has exponentially more than Jerry Hughes and it seems like Hughes has too many.

Yannick's contract won't be that far off from Clowney's.  I'm guessing at least in the 5 year 100 million dollar range with 60 million guaranteed.  There's no way we sign all three. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yannick's contract won't be that far off from Clowney's.  I'm guessing at least in the 5 year 100 million dollar range with 60 million guaranteed.  There's no way we sign all three. 

I didnt mean that all 3 would equal Clowney, just that I'd rather bring all them back than worry about Clowney.

$15M, $10M, and $20M still leaves us $45M in cap space. And it's a solid long term investment in a good spot- the trenches.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't think it's as clear as you apparently do that they were in on trading him. They might just have been doing their due diligence.

As for your main question, no, I don't think so.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the Bills were one of the teams in on trading for him.

Yeah, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the difference between knowing and guessing and yet smart people who are actually guessing think they know things all the time.

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Just do some snooping, you will find what you are looking for.

That's what people say when the facts don't back them up.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, id rather see them spend the money on JPhillips, Shaq, and Yannick.

No one has more penalties over the last 4 seasons than J Clowney. He has exponentially more than Jerry Hughes and it seems like Hughes has too many.

Correct Answer.  Reward Jordan & Shaq. Sign Ngakoue to a reasonable deal.

• Like (+1) 1