2020 NFL Draft to be held in Vegas... In the middle of the Bellagio fountains.

Process

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It might help ratings with some audience segments if the jacked players strip off and swim

I'd rather see the o-linemen and d-linemen have a biggest splash contest

On a side note, this event has the potential of many arrests and future suspensions prior to them even playing a down in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Just thirty-two more groups on a gambling expedition.

Ain’t that the truth! Some people want to jump on any miss, while pointing to other teams hits.  But the fact is the whole thing is a crap shoot! You have to go on the Big Picture results.  So far, I’m generally impressed. Time will tell. 

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They should end all this nonsense and move it back to and leave it in NYC where it belongs.

I disagree.  It gives cities like Nashville, Philly, Cleveland, and Kansas City who don't get to host Superbowls the ability to showcase their city (and all the extra income to local businesses that come with it).  I wish they'd keep it to cities that won't get to host Superbowls though.  Vegas and Dallas got it because they built state of the art stadiums.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It might help ratings with some audience segments if the jacked players strip off and swim

Sign me up. 

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

It’s only a matter of time before London hosts a draft at this rate. 

I don't think this can happen because of the time difference. 

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I disagree.  It gives cities like Nashville, Philly, Cleveland, and Kansas City who don't get to host Superbowls the ability to showcase their city (and all the extra income to local businesses that come with it).  I wish they'd keep it to cities that won't get to host Superbowls though.  Vegas and Dallas got it because they built state of the art stadiums.

Philly is a large city.  Nashville is already a huge tourist trap.  This event means nothing to them financially. There’s nothing to showcase in KC.

Bring it back to Manhattan, where it belongs.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Philly is a large city.  Nashville is already a huge tourist trap.  This event means nothing to them financially. There’s nothing to showcase in KC.

Bring it back to Manhattan, where it belongs.  

You might want to tell Nashville that. Screw Manhattan.

The 2019 NFL Draft generated a financial windfall for its host city of Nashville, Tennessee, and shattered previous record revenues for the league’s premiere offseason event, local tourism officials said this week.

The three-day event generated a record overall economic impact of $224 million for the city in terms of spending on lodging, local attractions, food, retail and transportation, the NFL and Nashville Convent ion & Visitors Corp. said in a joint release. That total marked a 79 percent increase over last year’s event in Dallas, which produced an estimated economic impact of $125 million.

The NFL Draft also drew a record $133 million in direct spending, up 79 percent compared to last year’s total of $74 million. The event produced $10.6 million in tax revenue for Davidson County in Tennessee.

I’m a traditionalist and love the draft in NYC. That’s the vibe I’m used to. With that said, after last years event in Nashville, they have an argument to host it every year. That was quite an event. Really cool display. Seems like each city takes it up a notch each year. Last year will be hard to top, but I thought the same thing after the draft in Philly. If anyone can top it, you’d think Vegas would have a shot. 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You might want to tell Nashville that. Screw Manhattan.

The 2019 NFL Draft generated a financial windfall for its host city of Nashville, Tennessee, and shattered previous record revenues for the league’s premiere offseason event, local tourism officials said this week.

The three-day event generated a record overall economic impact of $224 million for the city in terms of spending on lodging, local attractions, food, retail and transportation, the NFL and Nashville Convent ion & Visitors Corp. said in a joint release. That total marked a 79 percent increase over last year’s event in Dallas, which produced an estimated economic impact of $125 million.

The NFL Draft also drew a record $133 million in direct spending, up 79 percent compared to last year’s total of $74 million. The event produced $10.6 million in tax revenue for Davidson County in Tennessee.

The notion that "600,000 people" visited Nashville for the draft is...pretty dubious.  The 14 county Nashville metro area has about 45,000 hotel rooms.  Maybe there were tons of locals?  I mean Nashville, a legendary pro sports town, easily doubled the local gate of tiny, sports ambivalent burgs like Dallas and Philly....

You left this out:

Sports economists often question whether events such as the NFL Draft really deliver the financial impact touted by local tourism boards. Allen Sanderson, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago’s Department of Economics, told FOX Business in 2017 that impact studies tend to vastly overstate their true worth.

“The NFL is not a 501(3)c charity.  If the draft were really worth $80 million to the city of Philadelphia, why would the NFL leave that money on the table?” Sanderson said.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The notion that "600,000 people" visited Nashville for the draft is...pretty dubious.  The 14 county Nashville metro area has about 45,000 hotel rooms.  Maybe there were tons of locals?  I mean Nashville, a legendary pro sports town, easily doubled the local gate of tiny, sports ambivalent burgs like Dallas and Philly....

You left this out:

Sports economists often question whether events such as the NFL Draft really deliver the financial impact touted by local tourism boards. Allen Sanderson, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago’s Department of Economics, told FOX Business in 2017 that impact studies tend to vastly overstate their true worth.

“The NFL is not a 501(3)c charity.  If the draft were really worth $80 million to the city of Philadelphia, why would the NFL leave that money on the table?” Sanderson said.

Well, they estimated 600k people over the course of three days (200k per day).  So, pry closer to 250k to 350k actual people.  

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, they estimated 600k people over the course of three days (200k per day).  So, pry closer to 250k to 350k actual people.  

the event was the draft.  It doesn’t make sense to assume anyone came just for day 2 or 3. If 200,000 came for 3 days, they can’t claim “600,000 people attended the event”—which is what the article claims.  

as the article also suggests, these numbers are likely marinated, if not flat out cooked. 

Nashville has the same country music/music  fest stuff year round.  Drop a weeklong My little pony convention around some block party on Broadway and they would claim half a million people dropped half a billion in a week.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:31 AM, Mr. WEO said:

the event was the draft.  It doesn’t make sense to assume anyone came just for day 2 or 3. If 200,000 came for 3 days, they can’t claim “600,000 people attended the event”—which is what the article claims.  

as the article also suggests, these numbers are likely marinated, if not flat out cooked. 

Nashville has the same country music/music  fest stuff year round.  Drop a weeklong My little pony convention around some block party on Broadway and they would claim half a million people dropped half a billion in a week.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:58 AM, Doc Brown said:

Not that my opinion matters .. but I fall with Doc Brown on this.  Yes I too was use to the NYC draft at radio city music hall and scratched my head when it moved.  But after seeing the inside / outside vibe in Chicago, Philly .. and Nashville was 100% outdoors ... those crowds are raucous and provide a draft event to much larger audiences than the Radio City Music hall.

So yes .. I have converted and love the draft road show.  I see it like traveling to a Bills Road Game .. you can check out different cities and root for the Bills ... what's the harm.  I also believe .. that NFL fans do come out in force and spend money .. is it to the multiples listed by locals  ... maybe not .. but to say it doesn't provide a positive economic impact to the businesses in the general area of said event is also short sighted. 

Think of it like the NBA and MLB all star games ... same concept .. different cities (who have a said home team) are treated to a league wide event.   Though I'm saving my Las Vegas trip for the Raiders/Bills Game in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Not that my opinion matters .. but I fall with Doc Brown on this.  Yes I too was use to the NYC draft at radio city music hall and scratched my head when it moved.  But after seeing the inside / outside vibe in Chicago, Philly .. and Nashville was 100% outdoors ... those crowds are raucous and provide a draft event to much larger audiences than the Radio City Music hall.

So yes .. I have converted and love the draft road show.  I see it like traveling to a Bills Road Game .. you can check out different cities and root for the Bills ... what's the harm.  I also believe .. that NFL fans do come out in force and spend money .. is it to the multiples listed by locals  ... maybe not .. but to say it doesn't provide a positive economic impact to the businesses in the general area of said event is also short sighted. 

Think of it like the NBA and MLB all star games ... same concept .. different cities (who have a said home team) are treated to a league wide event.   Though I'm saving my Las Vegas trip for the Raiders/Bills Game in 2020. 

I was at the position before where I didn't care if they had a draft in a Holiday Inn in Scranton, PA.  I could care less about the tradition of having it in NYC.  Making it an event in different cities who usually don't get to host Superbowls was one of the NFL's better ideas.  I also like them moving city to city because it gives fans of nearby franchises a chance to take a road trip and attend the draft which I'll do in Cleveland in 2021.  

Weo was questioning the financial side of things where it can be argued that the money the city has to put up (most often using tax payers money) to host a Superbowl or Draft is not made up for in revenue gained.  Some cities have lost money hosting Superbowls before.  From everything I read that wasn't the case in Nashville and both local businesses, hotels, and the tax dollars generated a net positive income flow for the city.  The NFL actually paid for most of the expenditures which was surprising to me as it seems they view it as an opportunity to expand their brand even more.