Daniel Jeremiah 2020 mock draft 1.0

DJB

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Higgins needs a ton of time in the weight room before he’ll be able to get off press coverage.  He is really slight in his shoulders. He’s got a Justin Hunter or James Hardy body (RIP).

Davante Parker is the comparison I would use. Very similar players in college, similar body types. 

7 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

4 OL in top 10 is unheard of. 

So this is where I have chosen to start my deep dives this year. I think it is a good OT class. Not a great one necessarily but a good one. I think the top 4 or 5 guys in the class will probably be pretty jumbled across the league. I can see different teams having them stacked in a different order. But wouldn't be surprised given the Oline issues around the league and the talent in this draft if there were 4 taken in the first half of the first round.

Given the way Jeremiah's mock draft has fallen, I think Javon Kinlaw would be the McBeane pick at 22.

Kinlaw is long and has good length and can take over Trent Murphy's position and move inside on obvious passing downs alongside Oliver.

I am a fan of Mekhi Becton. If he is somehow available at 22 I would strongly consider him, his anticipated draft slot seems to vary a lot.

Our offensive line would be more physically imposing with him in it:

Becton - Feliciano - Morse - Ford - Dawkins with Ty and the swing backup OT and Spain walking or retained as depth.

Is Dawkins set in stone at LT? Can Becton play RT? Sort it out at training camp?!

The coaches/front office are invested in Ford and I assume he'd start on the line somewhere.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Jordan Love is a top 15 Quarterback then I think we should give up football.

I've only seen some high-level stuff on Love (I mean honestly has anyone seen a Utah State football game lately?) but it's not unheard of for a team to bank on a raw, toolsy small school QB in the top 10 picks is it? ?

• Haha (+1) 1

If Jordan Love is a top 15 Quarterback then I think we should give up football.

He's drawn comparisons to Patrick Mahomes who was kind of hidden at Texas Tech and he skyrocket up the draft boards in 2017.  I highly doubt he's the next Patrick Mahomes (his college numbers aren't close to what Mahomes's were) but teams may be more willing to roll the dice hoping he is.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's drawn comparisons to Patrick Mahomes who was kind of hidden at Texas Tech and he skyrocket up the draft boards in 2017.  I highly doubt he's the next Patrick Mahomes (his college numbers aren't close to what Mahomes's were) but teams may be more willing to roll the dice hoping he is.

Has he? Jesus. I wonder who from!? I suppose if I had to label him with a pro comparator (not something I am big on doing tbh) I'd go poor man's Carson Wentz - similar delivery, similar physical skills, "toolsy" but not as developed mentally in decision making and reading defenses as Wentz was.  

I don't hate him. I thought he was an intriguing day two prospect for someone - maybe one of the teams with a guy coming to the end - Pittsburgh, New Orleans.... whoever signs Brady.... 

There is absolutely no way I would spend a top 15 pick on the kid. I am not sure he has any ability to read a defense or recognise a coverage at this stage. Now that is the stuff that can be taught, for sure, but top 15 pick? Nah... too rich for me.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Guessing that you didn’t see the 2013 draft then?

?

Seriously though, OTs always get overdrafted due to need. Otherwise how do guys like Caleb McGary end up 1st round picks?

This is very true. I do think this is a promising group of tackles though.

• Like (+1) 1

Has he? Jesus. I wonder who from!? I suppose if I had to label him with a pro comparator (not something I am big on doing tbh) I'd go poor man's Carson Wentz - similar delivery, similar physical skills, "toolsy" but not as developed mentally in decision making and reading defenses as Wentz was.  

I don't hate him. I thought he was an intriguing day two prospect for someone - maybe one of the teams with a guy coming to the end - Pittsburgh, New Orleans.... whoever signs Brady.... 

There is absolutely no way I would spend a top 15 pick on the kid. I am not sure he has any ability to read a defense or recognise a coverage at this stage. Now that is the stuff that can be taught, for sure, but top 15 pick? Nah... too rich for me.

Yeah, I think one of the NFL.com writers mentioned earlier in the year that NFL Scouts refer to Love as this year's Patrick Mahomes or Patrick Mahomes 2.0 or something like that. I definitely remember it being talked up ahead of his national TV game earlier in the season when Utah State got dominated.

I haven't watched enough of him yet, but I've definitely seen some of the good #DraftTwitter guys breaking down some of the extreme highs you get with Love. He's got the physical tools for sure. I can't imagine my grade for him will be anywhere near Mahomes though, who remains my highest graded QB of the past 4 years.

Edited by DCOrange

4 hours ago, JM57 said:

I've only seen some high-level stuff on Love (I mean honestly has anyone seen a Utah State football game lately?) but it's not unheard of for a team to bank on a raw, toolsy small school QB in the top 10 picks is it? ?

Yeah because so many people were watching Wyoming football 3 years ago. Love @ 15 is an "EJ"esque reach, but sometimes small college qbs stick. Tua and Burrow are the only true 1st round qbs imoh....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

This is very true. I do think this is a promising group of tackles though.

I'd love to get Thomas at 10 in Cleveland. The last Thomas LT worked out well, and we desperately need a solid LT. 

21 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think Shenalt will be a top 10 pick and is the only WR that I would trade up for. This guy is in the mold of WR type that I want to build my team around. He can help your team out in red zone, run blocking, 1st downs and he is a yac nightmare. This guy will demand a double team opening up other players as well, just one guy can do all this.

If Shenalt runs anything in the 4.45 range he will skyrocket into the top 5. 

I think you are overvaluing Shenalt. Lamb and Jeudy will likely go in the top 10-20 picks, possibly in top 10. Shenalt is probably in the 15-25 range, along with Ruggs and Higgins.  WR has a tendency to drop, especially in a deep WR class. I like Brandon Aiyuk from Arizona State after a trade down to late first or early second round.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

I'd love to get Thomas at 10 in Cleveland. The last Thomas LT worked out well, and we desperately need a solid LT. 

So Thomas is certainly a solid option. He reminds me a bit of Jake Matthews coming out of Texas A&M. Really good run blocker, can occasionally give up the boundary in pass sets, but sound technique, good hands and a guy who I don't necessarily see as having elite potential but will likely be a long term starting tackle. Think I'd feel a little more comfortable in taking him if I was primarily running a man blocking scheme than if I was running a more zone based blocking offense but I think with a bit more refinement he could fit in either.

Edited by GunnerBill

34 minutes ago, turftoe said:

I think you are overvaluing Shenalt. Lamb and Jeudy will likely go in the top 10-20 picks, possibly in top 10. Shenalt is probably in the 15-25 range, along with Ruggs and Higgins.  WR has a tendency to drop, especially in a deep WR class. I like Brandon Aiyuk from Arizona State after a trade down to late first or early second round.

I’m in my 2nd week of watching highlights and games of the top 8 WR’s. Shenalt seems to stand out to me, he has a unique skill set for a WR of his size. Great hands, agility, vision and playmaking ability and he has a good head on his shoulders. When he refines his game I think he will be unstoppable, he will force other teams to double him and possibly more. I think after he kills it at the combine we will have no chance at him.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So Thomas is certainly a solid option. He reminds me a bit of Jake Matthews coming out of Texas A&M. Really good run blocker, can occasionally give up the boundary in pass sets, but sound technique, good hands and a guy who I don't necessarily see as having elite potential but will likely be a long term starting tackle. Think I'd feel a little more comfortable in taking him if I was primarily running a man blocking scheme than if I was running a more zone based blocking offense but I think with a bit more refinement he could fit in either.

He sounds a lot like our current LT in Greg Robinson, except Robinson can't run block and has no technique either.

Edited by cle23
  • Haha (+1) 1