Daniel Jeremiah 2020 mock draft 1.0

DJB

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If he can develop into a Kenny Golladay I'd be more than happy yet I think we be better off with an Edge Rusher and getting someone like Michael Pittman Jr in Round 2. 

Look how this Draft Fell and tell me what Edge would you rather have over Higgins. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Then we look for a WR in 2022, again it's collecting the best group of players and with WR depth in this draft being better than most I think you can afford to wait to take one.

Comes down to Value. If the Value at that spot is WR you really advocating over drafting an Edge?

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Then we look for a WR in 2021, again it's collecting the best group of players and with WR depth in this draft being better than most I think you can afford to wait to take one.

That's not helping the QB in 2020, way too risky to put it all on one guy and in round 2 to boot. The Bills would look like a much different squad next year with better and more playmakers. We are at the point where we've built the team and neglected that as aspect of the team long enough. It's time.

If we signed a high level FA like Amari Cooper I might give you a bit different response.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

If the Bills do draft him, I hope he doesn't have the "sentenced to death look" on his face that fellow Clemson alum, Sammy Watkins, displayed when it was announced he was headed to Buffalo!

I believe you are thinking of 1st team All Pro Stephon Gilmore.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think Shenalt will be a top 10 pick and is the only WR that I would trade up for. This guy is in the mold of WR type that I want to build my team around. He can help your team out in red zone, run blocking, 1st downs and he is a yac nightmare. This guy will demand a double team opening up other players as well, just one guy can do all this.

If Shenalt runs anything in the 4.45 range he will skyrocket into the top 5. 

Shenault looks like a monster when he can dominate inferior players with his athleticism, but he won't be able to play bully ball in the league.  His technique is poor off the line, and his route running is mediocre at best.  His upside is incredible, but he's extremely raw.

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

That's not helping the QB in 2020, way too risky to put it all on one guy and in round 2 to boot. The Bills would look like a much different squad next year with better and more playmakers. We are at the point where we've built the team and neglected that as aspect of the team long enough. It's time.

I think that the more pertinent point here is that it’s irresponsible for a team at the onset of their proverbial “window” to go into the draft in desperate need of anything, let alone something as critical to the development of their young QB as a bona fide WR1.

Better get one in FA or via trade. Same with EDGE. You could also make an argument for OT and CB, though they’re nowhere near as desperate at those spots.

Have to draft for future value; can’t pick based on need.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

That's not helping the QB in 2020, way to risky to put it all on one guy and in round 2 to boot. The Bills would look like a much different squad next year with better and more playmakers. We are at the point where we've built the team and neglected that as aspect of the team long enough. It's time.

What do you expect from a rookie WR? To me a good rookie WR year for a guy who's behind Brown and Beasley in the pecking order is 30-40 catches maybe 600 yards and 4-5 TDs. I think we can get those numbers from a guy like Pittman Jr in Round 2 and have gone on record I like a Curtis Weaver in Round 1 in my early draft analysis. 

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

If the Bills do draft him, I hope he doesn't have the "sentenced to death look" on his face that fellow Clemson alum, Sammy Watkins, displayed when it was announced he was headed to Buffalo!

You are misremembering. Sammy grew up a Bills’ fan.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I've only seen a handful of his games and have been kinda lukewarm on him in general; you think he might be able to be like a Vincent Jackson type maybe if he develops the right way?

No, he’s more of a Martavis Bryant (on the field) ... Kenny Golladay is another good comp 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

How is his speed as a big WR? I watched some highlights and he still seems pretty fast.

I don't watch college ball, so I only learn about players leading up to the draft.

He is a long strider doesn’t have that other gear. Likely a 4.5 guy (needs that time). I worry about his 3-cone and shuttle times and 10 yard split that will show me how long he needs to get up to speed and if separating is going to be an issue 

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think that the more pertinent point here is that it’s irresponsible for a team at the onset of their proverbial “window” to go into the draft in desperate need of anything, let alone something as critical to the development of their young QB as a bona fide WR1.

Better get one in FA or via trade. Same with EDGE. You could also make an argument for OT and CB, though they’re nowhere near as desperate at those spots.

Have to draft for future value; can’t pick based on need.

I'm with you on the trade and/or signing a FA at WR. McBeane has in the past stated that going into the draft and being able to take any position at number 1 is optimal strategy. We are at the onset of our window and having more guys to help Allen is paramount to this offseason.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

He is a long strider doesn’t have that other gear. Likely a 4.5 guy (needs that time). I worry about his 3-cone and shuttle times and 10 yard split that will show me how long he needs to get up to speed and if separating is going to be an issue 

4.5 is pretty good for a 6'4" WR. I'd be happy with that.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

4.5 is pretty good for a 6'4" WR. I'd be happy with that.

That’s what he needs to get. I know many scouts are saying 4.5 is probably what he will run and needs to run. Anything slower and watch the tumble. 

I see a 4.5 out of him and that is ok as long as the 10 yard split, 3 Cone and Shuttle times are good. If they are not he is going to fall. 

I don’t want another WR that can’t get open and separate 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sammy Watkins was of the best college receivers in recent memory.  That’s why you don’t trade up for non QBs in the first. There are zero guarantees.  

That's not a rule of thumb because sometimes you trade up and get a HOF Julio Jones for a bunch of picks that might otherwise have amounted to zero(as they did in that case).

On the whole the higher you are selecting the greater % chance that you get a stud player.    The bigger sample size math doesn't lie.

Ultimately you gotta' make the right pick whether you trade up, down or stay put..........if the Bills traded up and selected OBJ or Mike Evans then your rule of thumb wouldn't even be brought up in Buffalo.........it's a false premise based on one unfortunate experience.

Now for hard and fast positional rules...........follow the money.   

If you can't find it or afford it in UFA........QB/ElitePassRush/WR1/CB1/LT...........then it's worth a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Otherwise it's not.

First round picks should be treated like $20M UFA purchases.........because if they pan out that's what they should be worth on the open market and you should want to retain them for market value.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm with you on the trade and/or signing a FA at WR. McBeane has in the past stated that going into the draft and being able to take any position at number 1 is optimal strategy. We are at the onset of our window and having more guys to help Allen is paramount to this offseason.

Definitely. At a minimum, WR1, premier EDGE rusher and RB1a should be addressed in FA. OL as well if Spain is allowed to walk since they’ll need either a LG (if Ford stays at RT) or a RT (if Ford moves to LG—I love Nsekhe but he’s 35 and banged up). I’d love to see a value signing at CB like Troy Hill or Trae Waynes if KJ doesn’t re-sign.

• Like (+1) 2