Cap rollover from 2020 to 2021 might not happen due to the expiring CBA

Reed83HOF

Lost the tweet and will update when I find it (Twitter refreshed and it moved down my feed)

Basically with the expiring CBA, you may see teams able to use both a franchise and transition tag (we have mentioned this in a few threads), but also as written this is the final year for rolling over cap space, which means if you don't use it this year - it won't be there next year....

Edit:

Edited by Reed83HOF

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

While this very well could be a possibility, I doubt the owners sign any CBA that doesn't have this ability in it.  Additionally, I do not know why the players would also agree to removing it either.

well, 2 reasons i can think of

1) Short term.if it goes away, teams may be willing to spend more of the cap THIS year..bigger bonuses, more guaranteeed money upfront , all good stuff for the players

2) longer term..no rollover could result in the same as above..if a team has cap space this year and it is a use it or lose it situation, more teams may extend players, move guaranteed money into current year etc. Seems all good to the players.

I think roll over of cap is something teams want, not players..but i am open to why that may not be the case

• Like (+1) 1

The owners won the last deal.  They’ll win this one.  They’ll concede on several things, but not the rollover cap.  They already have to spend 88% on a rollover basis, not in one year.  The players union may make some headway on the 88% per year.  I can see that, but not taking it away.  You’re talking about a union based on 100’s of thousands to multi millions, vs. Billionaires combined times 32.

41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Short term.if it goes away, teams may be willing to spend more of the cap THIS year..bigger bonuses, more guaranteeed money upfront , all good stuff for the players

2) longer term..no rollover could result in the same as above..if a team has cap space this year and it is a use it or lose it situation, more teams may extend players, move guaranteed money into current year etc. Seems all good to the players.

I think roll over of cap is something teams want, not players..but i am open to why that may not be the case

it won’t. Teams will ALWAYS leave their 10M or so flexibility into the season. So if that expires that is not ever going to be spent. Allowing it rolled over means more space available to be spent on players while preserving what teams will always preserve going into the season. 

this isn’t going to change. 

what the players SHOULD TGT is the 3 year running minimum cap spending. That allows teams to really not pay. They should say nope it is a yearly running you need to spend to 90% of your cap EVERY YEAR. 

• Like (+1) 3

Higher caps mean more REAL money into players pockets. 

So tell me why they would want to reduce a item that allows for increasing the cap every year?

Players should go into CBA like this. Ok we understand you like to keep cap space every year for emergencies. 

we did a running AVg over the life of the CBA. That AVG comes out to 12M in space needed for your in season signings. 

based on that we want the yearly minimum spending increased to 95% of the cap. 

these are hypothetical numbers. But they should be focused on the minimum spending NOT the rollover. 

88% of 100M is 88M

88% of 150M (rollover) is 132M 

the Rollover HELPS the players with real Cash IF they can get the spending limit requirement to 1 year not a 3 year rolling AVG. 

they need to be focused on REAL Cash not all this cap, punishment, drug testing, etc. 

as people say eye on the bottom line. Their should be eye on the slice of revenue pie and do everything possible to get close or above 50/50

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Use it or pocket it would be more accurate I think............no CBA means no way for NFLPA to get their hands on that money or force the owners to spend it to reach their 90% rule.

Any concern over this scenario seems unwarranted..........people from both sides want the rollover but by far the most harmed by it going away are the players.......so teams will most likely go business as usual and assume that part of the CBA will be retained.  .    

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If I was the owners and this was presented that we the players want to get rid of cap rollover. 

ok fine we will do that if you concede to give up mandatory spending limit. 

the mandatory spending limit is the cap.  Don’t see the owners giving that up.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

While this very well could be a possibility, I doubt the owners sign any CBA that doesn't have this ability in it.  Additionally, I do not know why the players would also agree to removing it either.

The roll over has been a disaster for players because it encourages owners (particularly cheap owners like the Bengals owner) have constantly rolled over cap space and then let the roll over expire after several seasons. I think having roll over discourages teams to spend to the cap as it can always roll over for a long time and then quietly expire if you don't want to spend it. 

I am not against roll over cap space but I think the way it is currently constructed is very much a negative for the players. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The roll over has been a disaster for players because it encourages owners (particularly cheap owners like the Bengals owner) have constantly rolled over cap space and then let the roll over expire after several seasons. I think having roll over discourages teams to spend to the cap as it can always roll over for a long time and then quietly expire if you don't want to spend it. 

I am not against roll over cap space but I think the way it is currently constructed is very much a negative for the players. 

Has nothing to do with it. See my above example. 

what needs to change and the players should be all in on is the minimum spending limit be tied to actual CASH and a yearly roll up. Not a 3 year running AVG. 

example is it says must spend Cash at 90% of the Cap space every year. That gets rid of the 3 year running AVG. and also gets rid of Dead money counting in a particular year. 

none of that has to do with the actual ROLLOVER. 

Vicious rumor....

??

It's worth keeping an eye on, but I expect business as usual after the new CBA.  Teams followed the CBA even when it expired last time, except the Skins and Cowboys who found out there is a "spirit of the cap" even if the cap is not in place.