the, "am i a bad person" thread

teef

23 minutes ago, Bandito said:

As someone who has studied numerous political philosophers, you should read The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. An excellent read about how people are born bad. Of course he also promotes the idea of absolute monarchy, which isn't a very good idea.

Image result for calvin and hobbes meme

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

My neighbor and I are close friends.  We were coworkers/friends for a decade before becoming neighbors.  She's the kind of person who will always help someone out with a smile.

We got some snow the other day.  I cleared my driveway and went back inside.  Looking out the living room window, I noticed her driveway had not been cleared; just a small shoveled path that made it appear that someone had begun to shovel, but gave up.

I could have gone over and snow blown her driveway.  But her husband's truck was in the driveway. 

If he's home, he should be snowblowing, right???  He's a county corrections officer who works nights.  The thing is, the snow stopped overnight.  So it was ready to be taken care of as soon as he got home.

He couldn't take the 30 minutes to clear that out for his wife before he went to bed??

For that reason, I did not clear their driveway.

Am I a bad person???

No. The man of the house is responsible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, teef said:

this thread is to discuss whether we are bad people or not.  

for instance...at our gym there's a guy in a wheelchair.  i avoid him like the plague.  if i even see him rolling into my area, i pack up shop and run like a little B word.  he's a very nice guy, but he's way over chatty.  on top of that, you always need to help him...hand him weights, spot him, move him to a bench, etc.  i just don't want to deal with in.  i want to go in, not talk, and get right out.  the other day he asked the help of an older guy who really wasn't in physical shape to help him, and it was a mess.  i saw them try to make a transfer, and sure enough they both ended up on the ground.  i figured that now i had to help, but once a younger kid ran over to get them up, i knew i was in the clear and ran away.  

am i a bad person?

With the ball busting out of the way I will say the following.  You are not obligated to be his life partner.  He needs to learn his limitations and work within his capabilities.  Just because you look young does not mean that you do not have a serious health concern that you need to protect from being made worse.  A health spa does not lend itself to being automatically being a social center.  I would assume that if I went in alone I would be on my own in terms of using the equipment and other facilities.  He has the option of going to other places if socializing is of paramount importance.  Where it gets dicey is what I have to deal with in church every Sunday.  A guy comes in every Sunday and while not in a wheel chair he has definite mobility problems.  He also wants to talk at length and wants to know personal information.  He also has problems finding his indoor voice.  I greet him as he is seated and ask a general how is he doing then generally go back to reading something scripture related.  Sometimes he accepts that and sometimes he will move right down next to me before Mass.  I keep the conversation fairly impersonal in part to protect me as nobody needs to know how big my house is or what my business may be worth.  For a while he got flustered but now I think that he accepts but is still a little miffed as he says very little.  I think some people get a little irritated at me at church but the way I look at it "my life, my privacy."  I don't ask somebody why their spouse is not with them or what their salary is.  If they want to tell me they will and even at that point I may want to not know anything.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A few weeks ago some guy brings his laptop in that had BSoD.  He was giving a training class later that day and needed to get his presentation off the hard drive.

It was close to lunch time and I didn't feel like decrypting the drive.  So i told him the drive failed and to come back in the morning and pick up the laptop

Am I a horrible human being?

Yeah I know, but meh

9 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

A few weeks ago some guy brings his laptop in that had BSoD.  He was giving a training class later that day and needed to get his presentation off the hard drive.

It was close to lunch time and I didn't feel like decrypting the drive.  So i told him the drive failed and to come back in the morning and pick up the laptop

Yeah I know, but meh

I supposed I'd have to know what BSoD was to make a complete judgement on your horribleness.

p.s.  Did you search his laptop for naked pictures of his wife?

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Yeah I know, but meh

No. Because ***** users.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, teef said:

for instance...at our gym there's a guy in a wheelchair.  i avoid him like the plague.  if i even see him rolling into my area, i pack up shop and run like a little B word.  he's a very nice guy, but he's way over chatty.  on top of that, you always need to help him...hand him weights, spot him, move him to a bench, etc.  i just don't want to deal with in.  i want to go in, not talk, and get right out.  the other day he asked the help of an older guy who really wasn't in physical shape to help him, and it was a mess.  i saw them try to make a transfer, and sure enough they both ended up on the ground.  i figured that now i had to help, but once a younger kid ran over to get them up, i knew i was in the clear and ran away.  

am i a bad person?

Absolutely not. 

Now where’s that post about the babe in leggings doing squats ....

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

"When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, 'Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone...'" John 8:7 New International Version (NIV). 

You'll get no judgment from me OP! :thumbsup:

"As soon as he was done saying this, a stone flew over the crowd's heads and smacked the adulteress in the throat.

"Then Jesus said, DAMMIT, MOM!"

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, teef said:

am i a bad person?

42 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

"When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, 'Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone...'" John 8:7 New International Version (NIV). 

You'll get no judgment from me OP! :thumbsup:

Yeah...teef, man, we are all sinners and we all fall short at times.  The guilt you are expressing here shows you feel something, so don't beat yourself up at all.

However, I believe you would likely feel better if you did something to counter your feelings...not necessarily to the person you are trying to avoid, but maybe pay it forward by doing something nice to someone else when they appear to need it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah...teef, man, we are all sinners and we all fall short at times.  The guilt you are expressing here shows you feel something, so don't beat yourself up at all.

However, I believe you would likely feel better if you did something to counter your feelings...not necessarily to the person you are trying to avoid, but maybe pay it forward by doing something nice to someone else when they appear to need it.

Because I am such a decent person, I am available to be on the receiving end of the bolded. I’m here for you, buddy! We’ll make this good for you! 

The more you do, the better you will feel! Trust me! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:34 AM, teef said:

am i a bad person?

All that just to let us know you work out...

• Haha (+1) 6