the, "am i a bad person" thread

teef

this thread is to discuss whether we are bad people or not.  

for instance...at our gym there's a guy in a wheelchair.  i avoid him like the plague.  if i even see him rolling into my area, i pack up shop and run like a little B word.  he's a very nice guy, but he's way over chatty.  on top of that, you always need to help him...hand him weights, spot him, move him to a bench, etc.  i just don't want to deal with in.  i want to go in, not talk, and get right out.  the other day he asked the help of an older guy who really wasn't in physical shape to help him, and it was a mess.  i saw them try to make a transfer, and sure enough they both ended up on the ground.  i figured that now i had to help, but once a younger kid ran over to get them up, i knew i was in the clear and ran away.  

am i a bad person?

36 minutes ago, teef said:

for instance...at our gym there's a guy in a wheelchair.  i avoid him like the plague.  if i even see him rolling into my area, i pack up shop and run like a little B word.  he's a very nice guy, but he's way over chatty.  on top of that, you always need to help him...hand him weights, spot him, move him to a bench, etc.  i just don't want to deal with in.  i want to go in, not talk, and get right out.  the other day he asked the help of an older guy who really wasn't in physical shape to help him, and it was a mess.  i saw them try to make a transfer, and sure enough they both ended up on the ground.  i figured that now i had to help, but once a younger kid ran over to get them up, i knew i was in the clear and ran away.  

am i a bad person?

Are you Catholic? There's a fella who has to listen to your scrupulous quibbling over ethical quandaries. You should go see him. I mean, I come to this board to go in, not talk, get right out.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Are you Catholic? There's a fella who has to listen to your scrupulous quibbling over ethical quandaries. You should go see him. I mean, I come to this board to go in, not talk, get right out.

i am.  i even have an uncle that's a priest.  i went to 16 years of catholic schooling, (including college).  needless to say, i'm not practicing.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Without reading the story, I'm just going to assume yes.

this was the correct answer.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for helping people out when they need it, but if they are in need of that much assistance, they should bring someone to help them instead of relying on people/strangers to do it for them.  It's difficult enough dragging yourself to the gym(poor choice of words perhaps), but to have the extra task of being someone's personal assistant adds to that drudgery....i don't think it makes you a bad person at all.  Heck, if i go out for a beer and am not feeling particularly sociable, i make it a point to sit away from people so as to not get caught up in chit chat....sometimes i just want to have a beer in peace.

49 minutes ago, teef said:

am i a bad person?

If he were next to me at Planet Fitness, I'd probably help him quick and say "see ya, have a good workout" and go hit the machines. Instill in him that you're nice, but not there to talk.

I cannot stand the fools who sit on equipment and stare at their phones for 5 minutes; IT'S A GYM, NOT YOUR COUCH, YOU LOSERS!

Offer him a free cleaning to make up for things?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm all for helping people out when they need it, but if they are in need of that much assistance, they should bring someone to help them instead of relying on people/strangers to do it for them.  It's difficult enough dragging yourself to the gym(poor choice of words perhaps), but to have the extra task of being someone's personal assistant adds to that drudgery....i don't think it makes you a bad person at all.  Heck, if i go out for a beer and am not feeling particularly sociable, i make it a point to sit away from people so as to not get caught up in chit chat....sometimes i just want to have a beer in peace.

thank you!  he does pretty well, but he needs someone there.  i've helped him in the past and spent time talking to him, but it only gave him an, "in".  i just can't/ don't want to do it every time.   i'm with you about a beer in peace.  sometimes i just want to sit at the bar and have a nice drink in quiet.  

54 minutes ago, teef said:

am i a bad person?

Does not make you a bad person at all. If anything, he's being incredibly presumptuous to think helping him is not an inconvenience to others. As Poojer said, he should bring someone with him, either that or hire a personal trainer. There's a guy in a wheelchair at my gym, asked him a couple times if he needed a hand but he keeps saying he's fine so I stopped offering. 

My bad person thing...have a friend that's 15 years younger than me. His brother was my best friend growing up (died 17 years ago.) Lives down the street from my mother...my 100 year old mother. My mother's probably in better shape than him. Help him put on/take off his compression socks. Take his garbage out. Whatever else he needs around the house. Draw the line at shopping. I hate shopping. He seems to think that if I'm going to Wegman's or BJ's anyways, it isn't an inconvenience for me to shop for him. I already shop for Mom and me, and have to fill in for her aides whenever one is sick or late or whatever (still lives in my childhood home, 24/7 care required.) He has 3 sisters living in town, says they don't mind shopping for him but he hates to inconvenience them. Doesn't seem to have a problem inconveniencing me though. At any rate, now whenever he asks I tell him not sure when I'm shopping again. Am I a bad person for not doing more? Probably. But I really hate shopping.

2 hours ago, teef said:

am i a bad person?

Ed, is that you?

My neighbor and I are close friends.  We were coworkers/friends for a decade before becoming neighbors.  She's the kind of person who will always help someone out with a smile.

We got some snow the other day.  I cleared my driveway and went back inside.  Looking out the living room window, I noticed her driveway had not been cleared; just a small shoveled path that made it appear that someone had begun to shovel, but gave up.

I could have gone over and snow blown her driveway.  But her husband's truck was in the driveway. 

If he's home, he should be snowblowing, right???  He's a county corrections officer who works nights.  The thing is, the snow stopped overnight.  So it was ready to be taken care of as soon as he got home.

He couldn't take the 30 minutes to clear that out for his wife before he went to bed??

For that reason, I did not clear their driveway.

Am I a bad person???

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My neighbor and I are close friends.  We were coworkers/friends for a decade before becoming neighbors.  She's the kind of person who will always help someone out with a smile.

We got some snow the other day.  I cleared my driveway and went back inside.  Looking out the living room window, I noticed her driveway had not been cleared; just a small shoveled path that made it appear that someone had begun to shovel, but gave up.

I could have gone over and snow blown her driveway.  But her husband's truck was in the driveway. 

If he's home, he should be snowblowing, right???  He's a county corrections officer who works nights.  The thing is, the snow stopped overnight.  So it was ready to be taken care of as soon as he got home.

He couldn't take the 30 minutes to clear that out for his wife before he went to bed??

Am I a bad person???

If this neighbor knew that you coveted a kitchen appliance and she bought it for you then, yes, you are bad.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

This guy's only listen if you are a little boy.

20 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

When I go to the gym and there is a hot 22 year old in spandex leggings in front of me, and I can only think about 1 thing, does that make me a bad person?

Well hell.............I'm the WORST person then. It's rampant in there.........

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Am I a bad person???

Are you hitting it? Either way, the answer is no. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

When I go to the gym and there is a hot 22 year old in spandex leggings in front of me, and I can only think about 1 thing, does that make me a bad person?

Whether the Bills should go WR in round 1?

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Bandito said:

As someone who has studied numerous political philosophers, you should read The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. An excellent read about how people are born bad. Of course he also promotes the idea of absolute monarchy, which isn't a very good idea.

I prefer Calvin &.