Yes we need help but why 1st Round WR's scare me

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If you exclude Yannick and Clowney  would you still say there's many high end ones in Fa.  Personally I think Yannick will be tagged and Clowney, well lets just say the names fits IMO.

After that how many high end are left?  I wouldn't mind the guy from Dallas, one other name I saw too that would be a decent pickup, don' t recall it though now.

Arik Armstead

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If you exclude Yannick and Clowney  would you still say there's many high end ones in Fa.  Personally I think Yannick will be tagged and Clowney, well lets just say the names fits IMO.

After that how many high end are left?  I wouldn't mind the guy from Dallas, one other name I saw too that would be a decent pickup, don' t recall it though now.

Hard to say,.  I look at the WRs and see Amari, Aj, Robbie Anderson, Emanuel Sanders.  Those are the only potential upgrades imo.  One will get get get paid too much to have as many drops as he does (Cooper).  One looks to be at the end of the road but maybe worth a couple seasons (green).  One doesn’t seem like a process guy (Anderson). The last does his bet work out of the slot (sanders).  

if we wanna pay cooper, green or Anderson, so be it.  I just don’t think it’ll happen.  

at DE, potentially Yannick clowney, judon, Fowler, Quinn, Dupree, ogbah and Vernon.  

On 1/21/2020 at 7:57 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Personally I’d prefer to see them go pass rusher in round #1 as they are harder to find in free agency.  Trouble is not certain there will be any good pass rushers left by #22 either.   

Yup.  You're better taking the 4th best WR vs the 4th best edge rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yup.  You're better taking the 4th best WR vs the 4th best edge rusher. 

Yet is the 4th best WR and 6th best edge rusher a better group than 4th best edge rusher the 6th best WR? With the way they talk about this draft I think the latter plan is a better approach. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Yet is the 4th best WR and 6th best edge rusher a better group than 4th best edge rusher the 6th best WR? With the way they talk about this draft I think the latter plan is a better approach. 

Yeah, it depends on the individual draft. All indications point to a draft that is loaded up with talented wide receivers like perhaps none other.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd love to see us go OT at 22 and WR in round 2, then get a big power RB to finish the 2nd day. This assumes that we sign a DE and a LB in FA that can step right in and start. I'd love to upgrade the outside CB position AND the slot or at least get a couple CB's that compete for a starting job. If T White goes down, we're in trouble. I'd also like to add a WR in FA. I have a feeling that J Phillips and Shaq will want big paydays and they can probably be replaced at a better price if they get greedy. I'd also like to keep Q Spain and L Wallace.

sorry, I have not read all 4 pages ... 

1. Personnel department set to meet with wide receivers on Tuesday night

MOBILE, AL - Bills general manager Brandon Beane was interested in the lengthy list of receiver prospects who were to participate in this week's Senior Bowl practices this week. Unfortunately, some of those prospects had to withdraw, but it didn't impact his belief that the wide receiver class this year has a lot to offer.

"At that position, yeah there are some guys out here," said Beane. "The list a couple weeks ago was even better, but a couple guys had to bow out due to injury. But this was a pretty good list of guys to look at, so this will be a good week."

2. Preliminary contact with Bills unrestricted free agents

The NFL free agent market opens in a little less than two months, but the Bills have already taken initial steps to try to re-sign some of their own soon-to-be free agents. Beane wasn't naming names but did confirm their offseason signing process is underway.

"Some of these guys we've had preliminary discussions with their agents and, like I mentioned at the end of season press conference, some of these guys I know they're going to want to see what their market is and they've earned the right to go to free agency," he said. "But if we come up with something that they feel, doing their research is at their market value or greater then I'm sure they would sign up beforehand."

20 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

So here is something realistic

Pick 16 is 1,000 points

RD1 #22 (780) + RD3 #86 (160) + RD4(58) = 998

The 6th rounders are: 24.2, 19 & 18.6 points

That is much more palatable. Would hate to give up our second to move up. :)

17 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Vinny Curry

The bad news is that first round WRs fail almost as badly as first round QBs.  The good news is that 2nd or 3rd round WRs seem to have much better chances of becoming quality starters than do 2nd or 3rd round QBs.   I can't see a superstar type WR who is ready to step in and make a significant contribution early on falling to the Bills at #22, so the Bills going BPA on Day 1 works for me.  If they do their homework, they should be able to get a quality starter -- possibly even better than that -- at #22, especially if they are open to positions that traditionally produce good/great players at the bottom of the first round like interior OLers, TEs, LBs or DBs rather than insisting on taking a WR who's not really a first rounder to begin with.

It would be great if BPA and need coincided, which it sometimes does, but passing on better prospects to take a lesser one just because of need, especially in the first round, is a recipe for long term mediocrity as the list of Bills classic blunders based on drafting for need have demonstrated over the years demonstrate: Erik Flowers in 2000, Donte Whitner in 2006, Aaron Maybin in 2009, and EJ Manuel in 2013.

18 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Clowney and Quinn are probably the top draws but I like Mario Addison and Emmanuel Ogbah.  Markus Golden and Arik Armstead could be guys in the mix that might be worth looking at. 

Edited by The Jokeman