Yes we need help but why 1st Round WR's scare me

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Put me on the record for John Ross.  He's a great weapon, he just needs to stay healthy.  He was going good in the beginning of the season until he and Dalton suffered injuries.  The talent is there and coach Taylor seems to understand the importance of getting him the ball.  

Barring injuries, the Bengals will be in good shape with Burrow at QB.  The skill positions are set. (Green, Ross and Mixon)

As for 1st round receivers, that all depends on how the board looks at #22.  Every year, there's talent that should have gone in the top 15 that fall to the bottom or out of the 1st round completely.  Unfortunately, the Bills are picking higher than we're used to.  Can you risk waiting to get your guy near the end of the 2nd round?

I would think GMs have learned their lesson after the D.K. debacle, but maybe not.

John Ross plays very well for me in Madden LOL

14 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

The Draft is DEEP with WR's and there is no need to reach for a WR in the 1st round when there will be 1st round WR talent in the 2nd round. Not saying the Bills should not draft a WR in the 1st round. 

Bills should neither force positional need nor should they reach for any position. I'm not sold that the Tier 2 Edge guys like Gross or Lewis will be better value then CB :thumbdown: at 22. We will have a much better feel once the combine is over & FA opens up. Exciting times!

With drafts, though, the historical picks do not predict the success or failure of future picks. This is an entirely different crop of players. Forecasting based on historical data is not possible with something like the draft except in very high level analysis.

Identify a WR that checks all the boxes and go get him in the round he is available. If that's the first round, fine.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't see us sitting at 22 and I don't see us trading back, Beane won't trade a pick next year, but would trade this year

Pick 22 (780) + Pick 54 (360) = 1140

Indy Pick 13 = 1150

Reasonable

Our 1st 3 picks could get us to 10 with CLE

Not reasonable

Ouch.

Good discussion as usual fellas.

IMO, before the draft, we need FA's to fill needs, then we can have the luxury to do what we want to get the best value.

FA urgent need: WR (at least a WR2 type), DE

Preferred: Very good Right OT, DT.  With this, I think we address our major needs and can pick what we want.

1st Round: BPA of positions: WR, DE, OT, DT in that order IMO. 

Do NOT see trading up in the first and giving up picks we need. 

What I would love to see: Trade our pick to the end of the 1st round and get a NEXT years #1 from a team (plus some extra picks).  Then Trade that pick at the end of the first for a pick amongst the top 10-15 picks in the second round and pick up additional picks for this year or next years draft.... THEN we get the WR we want at the top of the 2nd.  Plus additional picks to help at the previous spots listed and RB, LB, CB, and another WR.

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This year’s class has a TON of talent. It may be the most talented WR class ever. With that being said some of the guys are going to be great. Some of these guys are going to be good. Some of the guys are going to be okay. Some of these guys are going to be busts. Just get it right...

Yep and because McDermott and Beane have bungled the position so bad since taking over they cannot afford to get it wrong this year. I'd draft a WR in round 2 or 3 and another one on day 3. I don't want them to force anything in round 1 but it has to be a focus this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep and because McDermott and Beane have bungled the position so bad since taking over they cannot afford to get it wrong this year. I'd draft a WR in round 2 or 3 and another one on day 3. I don't want them to force anything in round 1 but it has to be a focus this offseason.

No GM is going to approach it with this level of fear. They can’t worry about the misses. If a WR is BPA when they draft they absolutely will be taking one. If they have a drop off in a tier you may even see them trade up into the teens for a WR. The same can be said for an edge rusher. I don’t see them trading up early for any other positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Plano said:

Draft a WR with every. single. pick! I've said it on other threads.

We're bound to get a stud or two, right?

Then we can fill all other holes with free agency.

The Matt Millen approach on steriods!

Kirby Jackson had this right. Drafting the right players really trumps all the stragery in the world.

When you look back at drafts, it always comes down to WHO you drafted and not so much the "approach" that was taken. 

The Bills really do "need" to draft a WR; they don't need to do so in the first round. I will say my confidence level is not particularly high, but this would be a good time to start finding the right skill position guys.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No GM is going to approach it with this level of fear. They can’t worry about the misses. If a WR is BPA when they draft they absolutely will be taking one. If they have a drop off in a tier you may even see them trade up into the teens for a WR. The same can be said for an edge rusher. I don’t see them trading up early for any other positions. 

I didn't take trading up for an Edge into account, as I just assumed that would be the FA priority. In fact, we may be able to get there easier than for the top 3 WRs - Epenesa might be at a good spot if ATL is looking to trade back (which I expect, they have tough roster decisions and will be losing depth, getting extra picks can help fill the roster back up)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’ll grab one, but not necessarily in the first round.  As far as development, there are multiple positions that takes time, for example, QB, O Lineman, and even LB’s.  It should be an interesting spring or winter with free agency, and the draft.  I do agree I would rather bundle picks for whatever position to go from 9 to maybe 5 or 6. If we hit on the right guys, this team will be much better.

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't see us sitting at 22 and I don't see us trading back, Beane won't trade a pick next year, but would trade this year

Pick 22 (780) + Pick 54 (360) = 1140

Indy Pick 13 = 1150

Reasonable

Our 1st 3 picks could get us to 10 with CLE

Not reasonable

Beane & Machine Gun .. respectfully but please no .. trading up assumes we're one player away in my opinion ... I'd rather go the opposite direction .. if the draft is as loaded as many believe with WR talent and get more #2's and #3's.  The Allen & Edmunds draft was crucial to get cornerstones on both sides of the ball.  Mission Accomplished .. now we need to stockpile multiple quality picks.  I trust the process, but would really like them protect those 1st 3 round picks this year or increase them.

8 hours ago, gregor7777 said:

I agree I'd prefer them to not use a first on a WR, but god help them from this fanbase if they don't. We'll crucify them if they don't get a WR in the 1st.

That's not the sentiment I'm getting from this forum.  Seems a lot of us are in agreement with 2nd round WRs this year.

Maintain our strength of a dominant defense while smartly picking up pieces for offense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Jeremiah said this WR class could be the deepest and fastest in years......could change the dynamic for McBeane as far as a WR in the 1st......perhaps he trades down in the 1st to pick up an extra 2nd?......who knows....

That's what I'd like to see.  BPA pass rusher + pair of 2nd round WRs if we don't land a good "#1 WR" in FA.

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Golladay is no slouch either as with his 65 for 1190 and 11 TDs this season and has the size we need at 6-4 214.

to be fair all three of those guys are from pass heavy offenses  I think some of the wrs drafted that haven't put up big numbers might have done better somewhere else. 

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it’s more about teams drafting the wrong guys in the 1st. It isn’t about the right player being available necessarily. NFL teams haven’t done the appropriate job scouting. Michael Thomas was drafted after Corey Coleman and Josh Doctson. That doesn’t mean that you should wait until round 2 to get a guy (I’m not against it either). It just means that you should take Michael Thomas instead of Josh Doctson. It has nothing to do with “1st round WRs bad, 2nd round receivers good.” It is all about, “draft the right guy.” 

This post should end this discussion.  

No position has an outstanding "success" record in the 1st round so such arguments are simply not worth making.

Unfortunately we are left to trust "the Process" in scouting WRs for this draft.  It doesn't foster confidence....

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Not this offseason 

If you exclude Yannick and Clowney  would you still say there's many high end ones in Fa.  Personally I think Yannick will be tagged and Clowney, well lets just say the names fits IMO.

After that how many high end are left?  I wouldn't mind the guy from Dallas, one other name I saw too that would be a decent pickup, don' t recall it though now.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This post should end this discussion.  

No position has an outstanding "success" record in the 1st round so such arguments are simply not worth making.

Unfortunately we are left to trust "the Process" in scouting WRs for this draft.  It doesn't foster confidence....

I agree that the 1st round is littered with busts .. but completely disagree from a position perspective with a broad brush that one can't make argument based on position .... just look at RB & LB's,  in last 3 years of drafts and tell me their success rate isn't greater than WR's for the same 3 years (see original post).

RB's - Jacobs, Barkley, McCaffrey, Michel, and Fournette

LB's - Edmunds, Bush, Gary, Josh Allen, Roquan Smith, Vander Esch, TJ Watt

8 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I agree that the 1st round is littered with busts .. but completely disagree from a position perspective with a broad brush that one can't make argument based on position .... just look at RB & LB's,  in last 3 years of drafts and tell me their success rate isn't greater than WR's for the same 3 years (see original post).

RB's - Jacobs, Barkley, McCaffrey, Michel, and Fournette

LB's - Edmunds, Bush, Gary, Josh Allen, Roquan Smith, Vander Esch, TJ Watt

I'll agree with that.