Yes we need help but why 1st Round WR's scare me

I see a lot of commentary on our pick at #22 .. and I agree we need WR help desperately  ... but wondering out loud ... maybe better to wait beyond round 1.  I also see where there are many posts about all these WR's going before pick #22.  I'm not so sure of that given recent history (see below), that such a run is reality and last time such a run happened (see 2017 below .. 3 WR picks before pick 10) .. what a nightmare. 

That said, Watkins hangover aside, recent history and said pick performance is a great teacher here.  ArmChair QB'ing past drafts is like suiting up as Captain Obvious.  That said, put me in the camp to wait till rounds 2 and 3 for the WR and grab BPA at 22 (say OL or Lorax replacement).

image.png.f29a11fe78328f4dffea6e9b3d72d043.png

Check out the quality of WR's drafted in round 1 in the past 5 years.

2019 - (2) in first round .. Hollywood Brown (not bad rookie year), NKeal Harry

2018 - (2) in the first round ... DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley (best of the 5 years in my opinion)

2017 - (3) in the first round .. Banner year for GM's .. all picked before pick #10 .. again these are year 3 WR's ... Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross ... woof

2016 - (4) in the first round ... Another GM cluster ... Corey Coleman, Will Fuller (OK), Josh Doctson, LaQuan Treadwell ... woof

2015 - (6) in the first round ... Amari Cooper (best of above bunch), Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Aghlor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett ... so I ask you which one of these net of Cooper do you bet the house on after their rookie contract??

That said .. round 2 / 3 WR's in same draft (there are more .. but pulling names that in my opinion .. stand up better to many from Round 1)

2019 - Deebo Samuel / AJ Brown --- Yes Please

2018 - DJ Chark, Christian Kirk ... now granted for this year .. the 1st round is likely better

2017 - the infamous Zay Jones pick .. JuJu (stated on many a post), Cooper Cupp, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay .. again the point being compare to the first round choices .. WOOF

2016 - Michael "Frickin" Thomas, Tyler Boyd ...

2015 - Tyler Lockett .... past that not a lot

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Personally I’d prefer to see them go pass rusher in round #1 as they are harder to find in free agency.  Trouble is not certain there will be any good pass rushers left by #22 either.   Even if you draft what turns out to be a very good WR, it’s often the position that takes the longest time to become good, particularly with a QB who is still in the early stages of figuring things out himself. 

So what do pick at #22?  Maybe the answer is to trade down and take the WR a little later and pick up an extra second or third rounder.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WR is not always an immediate contributor because it takes time for guys to adjust to the NFL, now some do great and some don't. That's part of the reason am resistant to take one in Round 1 when we can get a more talented DE/LB in Round 1 and still get a quality WR in Round 2. As the draft is about collecting talent and developing it to assist short/long term. I'm not sure a rookie WR really can contribute considering he'd be 3rd on the pecking order behind Brown/Beasley. Yes, we could use a tall guy in the red zone but not sure how much athleticism of round 1 vs round 2 is a major impact all things considered. 

35 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I see a lot of commentary on our pick at #22 .. and I agree we need WR help desperately  ... but wondering out loud ... maybe better to wait beyond round 1.  I also see where there are many posts about all these WR's going before pick #22.  I'm not so sure of that given recent history (see below), that such a run is reality and last time such a run happened (see 2017 below .. 3 WR picks before pick 10) .. what a nightmare. 

That said, Watkins hangover aside, recent history and said pick performance is a great teacher here.  ArmChair QB'ing past drafts is like suiting up as Captain Obvious.  That said, put me in the camp to wait till rounds 2 and 3 for the WR and grab BPA at 22 (say OL or Lorax replacement).

image.png.f29a11fe78328f4dffea6e9b3d72d043.png

Check out the quality of WR's drafted in round 1 in the past 5 years.

2019 - (2) in first round .. Hollywood Brown (not bad rookie year), NKeal Harry

2018 - (2) in the first round ... DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley (best of the 5 years in my opinion)

2017 - (3) in the first round .. Banner year for GM's .. all picked before pick #10 .. again these are year 3 WR's ... Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross ... woof

2016 - (4) in the first round ... Another GM cluster ... Corey Coleman, Will Fuller (OK), Josh Doctson, LaQuan Treadwell ... woof

2015 - (6) in the first round ... Amari Cooper (best of above bunch), Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Aghlor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett ... so I ask you which one of these net of Cooper do you bet the house on after their rookie contract??

That said .. round 2 / 3 WR's in same draft (there are more .. but pulling names that in my opinion .. stand up better to many from Round 1)

2019 - Deebo Samuel / AJ Brown --- Yes Please

2018 - DJ Chark, Christian Kirk ... now granted for this year .. the 1st round is likely better

2017 - the infamous Zay Jones pick .. JuJu (stated on many a post), Cooper Cupp, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay .. again the point being compare to the first round choices .. WOOF

2016 - Michael "Frickin" Thomas, Tyler Boyd ...

2015 - Tyler Lockett .... past that not a lot

Great post!  I couldn't agree more.

Unless Jeudy or Lamb slips all the way to 22 (highly unlikely), value isn't there to go WR in the 1st.  Many teams could use WR help, but few will spend their 1st pick on it. A run is more likely to happen in the 2nd round.  

We’ll grab one, but not necessarily in the first round.  As far as development, there are multiple positions that takes time, for example, QB, O Lineman, and even LB’s.  It should be an interesting spring or winter with free agency, and the draft.  I do agree I would rather bundle picks for whatever position to go from 9 to maybe 5 or 6. If we hit on the right guys, this team will be much better.

In particular this year's WR crop is very, very deep. In most mocks you can get Bryan Edwards / Michael Pittman in 3rd Round and sometimes the likes of Justin Jefferson or others in the 2nd. IMHO, you use the depth as the means to locating the best talent that can be developed. Asking a 1st rounder to come in and be the receiving savior for a team is a recipe for disaster. But asking a 2nd / 3rd round WR to come in and learn behind Smoke and Beasley can be a much more palatable option for all the reasons we don't need to dissect. 

Give me BPA in Round 1, even if it is a defensive player, and then use the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds on RB / WR for gaining value. Let's not sleep on LB as a need for good players and depth or CB as well. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it’s more about teams drafting the wrong guys in the 1st. It isn’t about the right player being available necessarily. NFL teams haven’t done the appropriate job scouting. Michael Thomas was drafted after Corey Coleman and Josh Doctson. That doesn’t mean that you should wait until round 2 to get a guy (I’m not against it either). It just means that you should take Michael Thomas instead of Josh Doctson. It has nothing to do with “1st round WRs bad, 2nd round receivers good.” It is all about, “draft the right guy.” 

This year’s class has a TON of talent. It may be the most talented WR class ever. With that being said some of the guys are going to be great. Some of these guys are going to be good. Some of the guys are going to be okay. Some of these guys are going to be busts. Just get it right...

• Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’d probably just stay put. If a WR falls to us we nab them at 22. If not go BPA. Yetur Gross-Matos will be there, may not be a process guy, but would give us an elite pass rush. Tristan Wirfs from Iowa would be a great choice as would Prince Tega Wanogho, a player who I feel will ascend up draft boards. Most sites have him as a second round candidate but I think he’s dominant. Once he locks onto you it’s over, he has Jason Peters like ability.

• Like (+1) 1

Good post. But so long as Beane is confident about the pick and doesn't feel he is reaching I want him to take the chance.

Given the time it takes for many rookie WRs to develop I really wish we had hit on someone earlier

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

The past does not predict the future, particularly when it involves players in the NFL Draft. 

Whatever happened to "Trust the Process" anyway? 

The fear and anxiety around these parts remains palpable.  Just let it ride man.  It'll all work out in the end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I am no college football expert and from reading mock draft information there look to be 3 WR that could go in the top 20 and another 2-3 that could go in the first round.  The ones slated for late first are all pretty big guys too. 

With that I might like look at who is there at 22 and get BPA for WR or OLB/DE --- maybe trade down a few spots if there are 3 WR's on the board and pick up an extra 2 or 3. 

TE, RB, CB and OT are other positions of interest so having an extra 2 or 3 would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

That said, put me in the camp to wait till rounds 2 and 3 for the WR and grab BPA at 22 (say OL or Lorax replacement).

I have seen other posts like this. The problem is that you seem to assume that a wide receiver cannot possibly be the BPA at 22.

In this draft I cannot understand what makes people feel this way.

• Like (+1) 2

When we evaluate the draft & where one player was picked versus someone else, we do so with the added benefit of hindsight. The ultimate example being Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round. So yeah some 1st round wr's in hindsight were drafted too high, but others worked out well & performed as they were hoped to. You do your scouting, you have your film study & analytics review & interviews & you make the best decision that you can. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt.

But if when pick #22 comes around & theres a wr Beane feels is the BPA at the time then he'll draft him. But theres nothing about Beane that makes me worry that he'll reach for anyone. So when it comes time for our pick he'll simply pick whoever is his BPA at that time. And if its more valuable to trade down given who we have targeted on our board, we'll move down & get another pick.

Bring on the draft!

36 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have seen other posts like this. The problem is that you seem to assume that a wide receiver cannot possibly be the BPA at 22.

In this draft I cannot understand what makes people feel this way.

Would you agree with the strategy of taking a combo of BPA and Need?

have two columns listed with positional need from top to bottom.

then have players ranked or graded. 
when your turn comes to pick in the first 3 rounds draft the player that hits both columns at the highest point.

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Would you agree with the strategy of taking a combo of BPA and Need?

have two columns listed with positional need from top to bottom.

then have players ranked or graded. 
when your turn comes to pick in the first 3 rounds draft the player that hits both columns at the highest point.

I do agree but I wouldn't want to lose sight of WR being the top need. I want at least 2. An early draft pick and the right free agent would work for me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I do agree but I wouldn't want to lose sight of WR being the top need. I want at least 2. An early draft pick and the right free agent would work for me.

I agree that I think WR is a top need. I trust Beane to get us the right guy at the right pick. 
I also agree with finding another guy later rounds as a project. Maybe a slot guy to take over for Beasley in a year or two. 

So you aren’t clamoring for oline picks, does that mean you think they are set?