JR in Pittsburgh

Thinking of getting rid of directv and Sunday ticket

One of the things that bothers me the most (almost as much as the cost) about this whole thing is the smarmy nature of it. You have a product, what is the cost? Tell me what it costs and I’ll make my decision. It should not be subjective based upon if you call to complain and the mood of the person getting the call. 

If they want, make it formulaic and put it on a grid. You’ve been here X number of years, you have X number of cable/phone/DTV/internet services, so here’s your deal. 

I’m not into calling every year to beg for discounts and argue with some shmuck then ask for a supervisor. I realize this helps to subsidize the cost for many of you, so you're welcome. That’s just not my thing. It DOES, however, make me dislike them that much more and less loyal to them the first chance I get a better option.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t watch enough tv. My wife watches the hallmark channel only and nothing else. I told her to get rid of it

Edited by Helpmenow

4 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I don’t watch enough tv. My wife watches the hallmark channel only and nothing else. I told her to get rid of it

My son came into the room and saw me watching a pretty good movie. I forget what it was, but it was a movie worth watching. He quietly asked what the WE meant at the bottom of the screen, as in Women’s Entertainment TV. Wise ass always made me laugh! 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:39 PM, Helpmenow said:

wow same here  I tried watching regular tv last night  Who wants to sit through all those damned commercials?  I think direct tv is gonna go bye bye at my house  Feels wasteful

On 1/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have been a directv and Sunday ticket subscriber for about 15 straight years. But I am getting tired of the high bills for TV, and the hassle of having to re-negotiate discounts every few months. The discounts too seem to be getting worse. 

does anyone have any tips or ideas to be able to see the Bills’ games, watch live sports, and watch mostly trashy reality TV, while cutting my bill down? 

I was considering doing YouTube TV ($49 per month), and adding NFL Game Pass ($99 per year). The downside to game pass though is you can’t watch the game until it is over— that might be a real pain if the Bills play a lot of west coast games this year. 

any help would be appreciated. 

JR, this is exactly what I have done.  My DTV bill was getting so high.  YouTube tv is great and super convenient to use.  Paying a third of what I used to.

also something to consider is that the NFL is potentially going to be renogotiating online and streaming games this off-season 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

My directv bill just jumped to about $160 a month. I previously had a $50 per. Month credit that was keeping it around $110. I'm gonna have to call them to see if they can work with me. I love the Sunday ticket and I love having the 4k channels, especially when they broadcast sports, and theyre showing the superbowl in 4k this year. 

I HATE directv's customer service. I cannot stand when I have to call them, but overall, I have almost no issues with service. I tried YouTube TV for a few months (along with directv) and at the end of the day, I still prefer my directv service. 

Edited by Steptide

After 18 years I ditched direcTV last August and I took the leap and tried the college student streaming version of the package and it worked all season without a hitch.  Actually the picture was even better than what I was used to with regular DirecTV.  All for $79 for the entire season.

No you don't need to be an actual college student to do this, but you do preferably need to know a student who will allow you to use their name and DOB to sign up.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, Seasons1992 said:

Wait, is there gonna be a public caning of Gugny?

Only if it is sugar cane.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have been a directv and Sunday ticket subscriber for about 15 straight years. But I am getting tired of the high bills for TV, and the hassle of having to re-negotiate discounts every few months. The discounts too seem to be getting worse. 

does anyone have any tips or ideas to be able to see the Bills’ games, watch live sports, and watch mostly trashy reality TV, while cutting my bill down? 

I was considering doing YouTube TV ($49 per month), and adding NFL Game Pass ($99 per year). The downside to game pass though is you can’t watch the game until it is over— that might be a real pain if the Bills play a lot of west coast games this year. 

any help would be appreciated. 

I have watched the entire Bills season the last few years for free on reddit.

It takes about 1 minute to find a thread and get it rolling.  When it does, it seldom freezes or gives problems.  When that happens, a page refresh solves the problem. 

I have no idea why people pay money to watch NFL football; it is available quickly, easily, and reliably, for free.

You got Facebook? Some guy streams the games in the Bills Mafia group each weekend. Watched most games there this past season. 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:16 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I pay $133.00 a month for Spectrum, internet, tv and phone.   I swore I would never go back to Spectrum, but I am back because DirectTv is exactly what Spectrum was a few years ago.   It's like they take turns being abhorrent.

Ha!  I have the same bundle and just got a letter from Spectrum saying my monthly bill is going up by about $40-$50 dollars with tax (pushing the total close to $200).   I'm definitely going to drop the TV portion ($93 per month) and start looking for alternatives.   

Signed up for a free trial of FutboTV ($55 per month) which seems OK but doesn't have ESPN, which would take away the Sunday night games.    I think I'll keep looking, but Spectrum is definitely going...

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Ha!  I have the same bundle and just got a letter from Spectrum saying my monthly bill is going up by about $40-$50 dollars with tax (pushing the total close to $200).   I'm definitely going to drop the TV portion ($93 per month) and start looking for alternatives.   

Signed up for a free trial of FutboTV ($55 per month) which seems OK but doesn't have ESPN, which would take away the Sunday night games.    I think I'll keep looking, but Spectrum is definitely going...

Sling tv is a much better deal. Two different packages at $25 a month. No sabres games, but that hasnt been an issue i worry about lately.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Sling tv is a much better deal. Two different packages at $25 a month. No sabres games, but that hasnt been an issue i worry about lately.

Yep, Sling is the way to go. Dropped directv a couple of years ago and have saved at Least 2K in that time... and have the same, and More actually.

One comment on Sling though... the Blue package combined with the OTA antenna gives us everything we care to watch. However, for 16 weeks a year I have to combine it with the Orange package so we can have ESPN... aka MNF. That takes it to 40 as a combination but still not bad at all. 

Bills, Sabres, and really any other games are readily available as someone/s above mentioned... dropped the Ticket itself 8 years ago or so.

Quit wasting your money and time.

• Like (+1) 1