Who here has had to put their dog down

Steptide

On 1/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, Steptide said:

So today we put our bulldog to sleep. Coincidentally, the day after I made this original thread, he started to pee all over the house. Would just be randomly walking through hiuse and pee all over the place. We knew it was time. It was tough, but the vet was great about it and made it easier. I don't think it really hit me until we got home and he wasn't in his bed. Sad day, but happy it's over with and he's better off

Thanx for this timely thread Steptide, I am sorry for your loss.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

When they lose their interest in food, it’s time. It will come for all of us, the journey does not stay in this realm forever. 

When my dog would eat something that made her sick, she would go on a boiled rice and chicken diet for a few days.  She always loved it.  At the end, she wouldn’t even eat the rice and chicken. 

Sometimes when we had a pot of rice and chicken in the fridge, I would take a scoop of it, add a dash of salt and a little hot sauce, warm it up in the microwave, and eat it.  My wife would freak out . “I can’t believe you’re eating dog food!”

• Haha (+1) 3

On 2/7/2020 at 7:26 AM, Gray Beard said:

When my dog would eat something that made her sick, she would go on a boiled rice and chicken diet for a few days.  She always loved it.  At the end, she wouldn’t even eat the rice and chicken. 

Sometimes when we had a pot of rice and chicken in the fridge, I would take a scoop of it, add a dash of salt and a little hot sauce, warm it up in the microwave, and eat it.  My wife would freak out . “I can’t believe you’re eating dog food!”

Nice way to end the thread, on a humorous note:thumbsup:

Edited by Steve O
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with all the sentiments touched upon in this thread. It is never easy to put down a family pet. You grow attached to them. They become a part of you. I never had kids but if I had I would have wanted them to have a family pet. I have always believed that it helps a child develop a sense of empathy. And I think it helps them learn that sometimes it is OK to cry. 

Damn this thread brought back a lot of emotions for me, it is truly the hardest thing to do even if you know is is right. It’s about a year ago to the day when I had to put my Great Dane down. He was a rescue dog that I named Otto after Syracuse’s mascot. Was such a good dog but he had back leg issues that seemed to stem from his malnourishment as a puppy from the owner he had to be rescued from. He just stopped being able to stand up and whined all night in pain. I still remember hearing him whine and just cried all night knowing what I had to do the next day. I know he is in a better place and it was the right thing to do for him but it’s still heartbreaking. 

I hope you are okay, just know it will get better

***** now I’m crying....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1