Who here has had to put their dog down

Steptide

I brought my dog, Chloe, to the vet to be euthanized.  The doctor told me it wouldn't be wrong to put her down (she had cancer), but offered an alternative treatment to give us more time together.  I agreed to try it.  At the end of our discussion, the doctor told me she could tell that I was not ready and Chloe still had a little time.  I think I got another month to spend with my girl.  When the time had actually come, I knew it.

You can have 100 people respond to this thread, giving you advice based on their experiences ... and every single person will mean well.

Your dog will tell you when it's time.  Listen to your dog and listen to your heart.

I wish you both the best.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sounds like it’s time.      Buy a pack of smokes and let those tears flow as it’s the only option. 

I drove two hours to a vet that did an mri on one of mine and they put her under anesthesia and she wouldn’t wake up.  

Had no choice than to put her down and I couldn’t be in the room when they did it.   

The absolute worst day ever.     

It’s tough Steptide. Done it four times. That dog is family and you love it. You’ll do what’s best when the time is right. And don’t worry about balling when you do it. My vet has seen me cry like a baby four times. Give that sloppy bulldog a kiss for me (my parents had bulldogs and they’re special). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

My 11 year old bull dog is in his last days. I've personally never had to take a pet to be put to sleep. The thing is, I don't believe he's currently suffering, but taking care of him is becoming a big chore. When he was 7, the glaucoma in his eyes got so bad, I had to have one of his eyes removed. Shortly after that, he lost his vision in his other eye. So for the last 4 years I've had a blind dog. That alone is alot of work. Recently I believe he developed dimentia as he will get lost outside and just walks in circles. He also has developed myositis recently which is muscle inflammation in his head and looks like part of his head is collapsing. This usually leads to pain and won't allow dogs to open their mouth to eat etc. However, he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He still eats like normal. Anyways, I don't when there's a right time and I've never had to do it before. 

I'm sorry.

We're on our 4th dog, which means we've had to put 3 down.  And a rabbit.  And our neighbor's dog, who we'd helped raise from puppyhood.

We always felt as though it was the "right time" when we did it.  Our second dog developed cancer.  We kept her while we felt she was still enjoying life.  When it got to the point where she wouldn't eat, even enticing stuff from our fingers, it was time.  We brushed her and made her pretty.  Took her to a park, let her off leash, let her chase the squirrels and ducks, jump in the pond.  Then we dried her and brushed her out again and took her to the vet.  Took the first dog with us to see the body (that's important).

First dog, had gotten to the point where as the family said "I can't think of a single thing I could do with her that she'd enjoy doing".  She didn't seem to be in great pain, but she just didn't want to move.  Third dog, similar.  That vet had a really nice set up - exam room with a sofa they covered with a quilt.  We got to sit on the sofa and hold her.

Anyway, remember that dogs have an endorphin system that Football players would envy.  Dog with cancer, little 40 lb dog, jumped off a porch we were building (no rail yet), 6 feet off the ground, landed 8 feet out in the yard yelped once but didn't break stride running after a squirrel.  Came trotting back with her tail flagged high.  This was 3 days post major surgery for the cancer, we were supposed to "keep her quiet for 2 weeks".  How 6 point restraints?  Human being be lying in bed going "hnnng hnnng grooooooan" at that point and wincing when reaching for a coffee cup.

Anyway, I would say, trust yourself, you'll know. 

The stuff about crying is normal, True.  But each different.  You may cry, you may not cry.  You may start crying 3 weeks later while you're cleaning out a drawer full of dog stuff.  You may just need to split wood or sling some landscape blocks around.  But yeah that is a family member and chances are you'll grieve.  Someone wrote that " it might well be more difficult to get over the loss of a dog than of a family member. "One often has mixed feelings about relatives, but few people could identify serious problems in their relationships with dogs." "

• Like (+1) 1

I said goodby to my black lab "Tex" about 10 years ago.  She was having congestive heart issues along with some other issues.  Went to a neighbor who is a vet, highly respected in the CBUS area.  He said that Tex had a few more miles left in her, so we took extra care of her.  She slowly just started to not be herself.  One night I'm sitting in the driveway watching the sun go down, beautiful sunset.  Tex got up and sat between my legs and watched the sun go down with me.  I thought that was a sign.  Checked with neighbor/vet and said it's better to be truthful than hang on to the last moment.  That's when I made the appointment.

Added this link to story in Columbus Dispatch about pet owners choices / grief.  Ohio State’s veterinary social worker helps pet owners cope with grief, tough choices

Edited by BuffaloBud

So today we put our bulldog to sleep. Coincidentally, the day after I made this original thread, he started to pee all over the house. Would just be randomly walking through hiuse and pee all over the place. We knew it was time. It was tough, but the vet was great about it and made it easier. I don't think it really hit me until we got home and he wasn't in his bed. Sad day, but happy it's over with and he's better off

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Harry P Barker, my Aussie Border Collie Healer is saying goodbye to this world this evening less than 4 months from his 15th birthday. I am waiting for the home visit from the vet and spent the day digging his grave in the yard. We adopted him at 1 years old and he has been with us all day practically every day since then, as we run our own business.

The most loyal, loving, intelligent, empathic, and athletically gifted dog I've ever known, and also the only dog I've ever had as a companion. 

They are here.

• Sad 4

On 1/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, Steptide said:

My 11 year old bull dog is in his last days. I've personally never had to take a pet to be put to sleep. The thing is, I don't believe he's currently suffering, but taking care of him is becoming a big chore. When he was 7, the glaucoma in his eyes got so bad, I had to have one of his eyes removed. Shortly after that, he lost his vision in his other eye. So for the last 4 years I've had a blind dog. That alone is alot of work. Recently I believe he developed dimentia as he will get lost outside and just walks in circles. He also has developed myositis recently which is muscle inflammation in his head and looks like part of his head is collapsing. This usually leads to pain and won't allow dogs to open their mouth to eat etc. However, he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He still eats like normal. Anyways, I don't when there's a right time and I've never had to do it before. 

I grew up with various animals my entire life and watched them come and go. When my wife and I first moved in together we bought our first dog in 2007. We had him before any of our kids and our rat bastard cat. It was a good long run, but in June 2018 he started walking with a limp. We took him to the ver and they gave him some dog "advil" thinking it was a muscle or ligament problem. By October we had to hand feed him and eventually found out it was cancer and he was hurting bad. I scheduled the appointment for the next day, and cooked him off some deer steaks, which he finally ate eagerly. After growing up with animals my whole life, this was the first time I ever had to take care of it myself.  My wife took the kids to a soccer game,  and I went and did the deed. I'm not a very emotional guy,  but I'll tell you what,  I cried like a baby that day. It's a tough, tough thing to do, but when the quality of life declines where it's not worth living,  you have to make the call. What killed me was I used to pick this 90 lb. dog up and take him up and down the stairs so he could get to the yard, and even though he could barely walk he looked at me and put his tail up and wagged it like he was happy,  but I knew it was time .

19 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Harry P Barker, my Aussie Border Collie Healer is saying goodbye to this world this evening less than 4 months from his 15th birthday. I am waiting for the home visit from the vet and spent the day digging his grave in the yard. We adopted him at 1 years old and he has been with us all day practically every day since then, as we run our own business.

The most loyal, loving, intelligent, empathic, and athletically gifted dog I've ever known, and also the only dog I've ever had as a companion. 

They are here.

Sorry man. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

They are here.

So sorry, Turk.  I'm sure Harry appreciated you as much as you appreciated him.  RIP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:13 PM, Golden Goat said:

Our beagle is 15 1/2. He's mostly blind and deaf. Still eats like a horse, though -- which has always been my measuring stick. When they reject even their favorite foods, it's time.

This is what our vet said is the benchmark. When their interest in food is nil, it’s a sign that things are nearing the end.

I’ve been through two as an of-age owner, and my current boy just turned 10 and is slowing down.

Condolences, Turk.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, UConn James said:

This is what our vet said is the benchmark. When their interest in food is nil, it’s a sign that things are nearing the end.

I’ve been through two as an of-age owner, and my current boy just turned 10 and is slowing down.

Condolences, Turk.

Thanx James, Harry lost interest in food a couple days ago and I knew it was time. I wanted him to be here as long as he was eating and still enjoying life.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Thanx James, Harry lost interest in food a couple days ago and I knew it was time. I wanted him to be here as long as he was eating and still enjoying life.

When they lose their interest in food, it’s time. It will come for all of us, the journey does not stay in this realm forever. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

When they lose their interest in food, it’s time. It will come for all of us, the journey does not stay in this realm forever. 

He looks so peaceful right now wrapped in his burial cloth in front of the fireplace. I wish he was only sleeping. I have to bury him in an hour or so. He was a great companion and although I will miss him terribly I am also relieved that he is at peace.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

He looks so peaceful right now wrapped in his burial cloth in front of the fireplace. I wish he was only sleeping. I have to bury him in an hour or so. He was a great companion and although I will miss him terribly I am also relieved that he is at peace.

I am SO sorry! I have tears streaming down my face. Some people won’t fully get it, but I’ve been there. It is a devastating feeling. Time will heal that, I promise. He is at peace. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am SO sorry! I have tears streaming down my face. Some people won’t fully get it, but I’ve been there. It is a devastating feeling. Time will heal that, I promise. He is at peace. 

Thanx Augie. 

I reached out to the breeder we got our current girl from. We lived in Florida at the time and I came to Georgia to get her from an amazing breeder. We may be adding a little friend in the spring. Nothing like a great dog.......

Our 10 year old girl is so happy and frisky with people and my son’s 18 month old puppy she feels like she’s 2. It’s amazing. Count your blessings, people. There are things we all miss, but there are so many things we have. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1