Who here has had to put their dog down

Steptide

My 11 year old bull dog is in his last days. I've personally never had to take a pet to be put to sleep. The thing is, I don't believe he's currently suffering, but taking care of him is becoming a big chore. When he was 7, the glaucoma in his eyes got so bad, I had to have one of his eyes removed. Shortly after that, he lost his vision in his other eye. So for the last 4 years I've had a blind dog. That alone is alot of work. Recently I believe he developed dimentia as he will get lost outside and just walks in circles. He also has developed myositis recently which is muscle inflammation in his head and looks like part of his head is collapsing. This usually leads to pain and won't allow dogs to open their mouth to eat etc. However, he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He still eats like normal. Anyways, I don't when there's a right time and I've never had to do it before. 

• Sad 4

Alaways hard to tell "the right time" when it comes to this decision.  You are understandably emotionally attached to your dog, as all dog/pet owners are.  Rely on your Vet to help you with this.  When the time comes, stay with him till the end.  He would do the same for you.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m on my 6th Golden Retriever. They all seem to get a tumor at some point. Making it to 11 is a good life for a dog, and a long time for you to have a dear friend. The last dog was the first time I stayed with her until the end, and while it was gut wrenching, it made me wish I had been with the previous dogs until the end when it was possible. 

I've had to put down two dogs. Both times they no longer had any quality and were in pain. Knowing it was the right thing to do didn't stop me from crying. Once the myositis starts causing him pain it's time to put him down. Don't think it will be long. You've already gone way above and beyond, caring for a blind dog for four years. Won't be easy but it's the right thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Steptide said:

My 11 year old bull dog is in his last days. I've personally never had to take a pet to be put to sleep. The thing is, I don't believe he's currently suffering, but taking care of him is becoming a big chore. When he was 7, the glaucoma in his eyes got so bad, I had to have one of his eyes removed. Shortly after that, he lost his vision in his other eye. So for the last 4 years I've had a blind dog. That alone is alot of work. Recently I believe he developed dimentia as he will get lost outside and just walks in circles. He also has developed myositis recently which is muscle inflammation in his head and looks like part of his head is collapsing. This usually leads to pain and won't allow dogs to open their mouth to eat etc. However, he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He still eats like normal. Anyways, I don't when there's a right time and I've never had to do it before. 

Our beagle is 15 1/2. He's mostly blind and deaf. Still eats like a horse, though -- which has always been my measuring stick. When they reject even their favorite foods, it's time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Steve O said:

I've had to put down two dogs. Both times they no longer had any quality and were in pain. Knowing it was the right thing to do didn't stop me from crying. Once the myositis starts causing him pain it's time to put him down. Don't think it will be long. You've already gone way above and beyond, caring for a blind dog for four years. Won't be easy but it's the right thing to do.

I agree. If he shows any signs of suffering, I'd take him right away. Right now, it's just the amount of work to take care of him. He'll often bark to go out in the middle of the night and be out there for half an hr. That alone is super frustrating. 

We had to put our dog down after 15 years.  The vet said it was liver failure, possibly liver cancer.  The last few weeks of her life were joyless for her.  The last few days of her life she didn’t eat, and I had to carry her outside so she could do her business.  

We scheduled for a vet to come to our house to put her to sleep, and several relatives came over to say goodbye. We also arranged for the cremation service to be there to take her.  

I was upset about going to bed knowing that tomorrow would be her last day. That was tough, but it was definitely the right thing to do at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Alaways hard to tell "the right time" when it comes to this decision.  You are understandably emotionally attached to your dog, as all dog/pet owners are.  Rely on your Vet to help you with this.  When the time comes, stay with him till the end.  He would do the same for you.

Yes, I will stay with him until the end. Part of me feels like I'll be relieved once he's gone, as bad as it may sound. 

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

We had to put our dog down after 15 years.  The vet said it was liver failure, possibly liver cancer.  The last few weeks of her life were joyless for her.  The last few days of her life she didn’t eat, and I had to carry her outside so she could do her business.  

We scheduled for a vet to come to our house to put her to sleep, and several relatives came over to say goodbye. We also arranged for the cremation service to be there to take her.  

I was upset about going to bed knowing that tomorrow would be her last day. That was tough, but it was definitely the right thing to do at the time. 

You can have them come to your house? To be put down I mean 

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

.You can have them come to your house? To be put down I mean 

My wife found out about a vet who would do it. I don’t want to ask her about it because she would get upset to think about it.  Some vets make house calls for sick animals, so i guess it’s not too much of a stretch for a vet to make house calls for terminal animals. It obviously costs more, but we didn’t worry about that. 

This is the the web site of the vet who came to our house.  He advertises house calls as a service. 

https://drdavidnickeldvm.com/services/

Edited by Gray Beard

He may not be in physical pain, but that doesn't mean he's not suffering. I can't imagine what blindness and dementia would be like as a person, let alone a dog, but it must be confusing and frustrating, no matter who.

We put our first dog down at 15 years old. In retrospect, I think we waited about a year too long. She was always nervous going to the vet and I couldn't let her last moments of life be at a place she hated, so we found a mobile vet service who came to our house to put her down. It was worth the extra cost. 

I'm sorry you're going through this, but take comfort in the fact that you gave him a good 11 years.

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m on my 6th Golden Retriever. They all seem to get a tumor at some point. Making it to 11 is a good life for a dog, and a long time for you to have a dear friend. The last dog was the first time I stayed with her until the end, and while it was gut wrenching, it made me wish I had been with the previous dogs until the end when it was possible. 

I'm on #6 too, going back to 1972.  Found this one, Lindy Ruff, at the Richmond SPCA 12/08.  I think he was a run away.  Fairly wild but he calmed down very quickly.  They told me he was "about 1?"  So he's getting up there now.  Some mobility issues on stairs but good appetite and no accidents, so he's a gift.  I dread the day when we have to take him in.  My wife says Lindy is "our last dog," but I say day at a time.  I've always had a dog, so don't want to think about that.  Come to think of it, I've had dogs a lot more years than I've been married.

23 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I agree. If he shows any signs of suffering, I'd take him right away. Right now, it's just the amount of work to take care of him. He'll often bark to go out in the middle of the night and be out there for half an hr. That alone is super frustrating. 

Know it is frustrating, but there will come a time not too long from now when you will miss those middle of the night wake up calls. 

One other thing, vets usually have a back exit for crying pet owners who have just put their pet down to leave from.

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He may not be in physical pain, but that doesn't mean he's not suffering. I can't imagine what blindness and dementia would be like as a person, let alone a dog, but it must be confusing and frustrating, no matter who.

We put our first dog down at 15 years old. In retrospect, I think we waited about a year too long. She was always nervous going to the vet and I couldn't let her last moments of life be at a place she hated, so we found a mobile vet service who came to our house to put her down. It was worth the extra cost. 

I'm sorry you're going through this, but take comfort in the fact that you gave him a good 11 years.

The crazy thing is, his blindness has never seemed to bother him. I was a little worried after he lost his sight that he may get a little aggressive. That is common when dogs go blind, however he's always been the same. Even having the dimentia, he's still for the most part the same dog. However I do agree with you, at this point it's just finding the right day to do it. 

4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'm on #6 too, going back to 1972.  Found this one, Lindy Ruff, at the Richmond SPCA 12/08.  I think he was a run away.  Fairly wild but he calmed down very quickly.  They told me he was "about 1?"  So he's getting up there now.  Some mobility issues on stairs but good appetite and no accidents, so he's a gift.  I dread the day when we have to take him in.  My wife says Lindy is "our last dog," but I say day at a time.  I've always had a dog, so don't want to think about that.  Come to think of it, I've had dogs a lot more years than I've been married.

I’ve already spoken with the  breeder of our current dog Our girl loves being around other.......anything’s (people, dogs, squirrels, etc!) that we may get her a little friend if he comes thru with a litter in May. She’s a bubbly 10 year old! Our son’s puppy was my dog’s favorite thing since dinner was invented! She lights up and it’s fun for all of us. One more now, while she can enjoy it and hope I’m up for it. About 10 years from now we will be in a very different set of circumstances, so this is probably the last one, IF we do it. I’m WELL aware of how much WORK that first year is! 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve already spoken with the  breeder of our current dog Our girl loves being around other.......anything’s (people, dogs, squirrels, etc!) that we may get her a little friend if he comes thru with a litter in May. She’s a bubbly 10 year old! Our son’s puppy was my dog’s favorite thing since dinner was invented! She lights up and it’s fun for all of us. One more now, while she can enjoy it and hope I’m up for it. About 10 years from now we will be in a very different set of circumstances, so this is probably the last one, IF we do it. I’m WELL aware of how much WORK that first year is! 

Last summer, my wife, Mrs "Lindy will be our last dog," and I, were walking around Niagara on the Lake.  It seems to be very dog friendly.  We saw a Bouvier des Flandres and a Berne-doodle Bernese/Poodle mix.  They were both beautiful but the Beauvier was especially memorable.  Never saw one before, except on TV at Westminster Dog show.  These were young dogs and their owners were walking them to "socialize" them.  Mrs. "our last dog" would have taken either, or maybe both home.   Would have made for an interesting border crossing, but this is why I say day at a time, and we'll see.  I expect she will weaken.  Only have to hope I don't regret it!

The Bernese mix was just black & white.  I asked his owner where his brown marks were on his face?  He said some of them just come out black & white.  I said, I'll bet you got a deal then?  He just smiled.

I am sorry you are going through this. ?

I have had two dogs, and putting them down was awful. The first I think I waited a week too long. Hubby was on a business trip and offered to go with me so my son (19 at the time, we got the dog when he was 5) did not have to. My son was extremely grateful to my husband.  (The dog was too large for me to help into my SUV. Someone had to go with me.)

Our last dog was ill for almost 5 years before he was put down. The money, time, various vets, etc. made keeping him as well as possible an exhausting labor of love. 

I told my husband “no more dogs.” It is horrible saying goodbye. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Three times I've had to put my dog down. I stayed to the end with each of them. Just had to put my dog down this past summer. I'm not going to lie, I cried like a baby each time. It still hurts to think of them sometimes. Good luck with your bull dog steptide.

• Like (+1) 1