Super Bowl Tickets Selling for Record Amount

Scott7975

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I know it was long ago but I went to the 1st 3 Bills SBs and never paid more than $150 for a ticket

That’s funny as I moved to Tampa 6 days before the Bills / Giants SB.  Of course being 21 ( just graduated from my Bachelors) I had no $ for a ticket.  I couldn’t believe the number of Bills fans there.  It was kind of cool as before One Buc Place, there was a Tampa mall.  We showed up at 8:30 am with four cases of beer and had from row seats to wall of Macy’s where they placed a monster movie screen and one of the rock stations had these monster speakers so you could hear everything.  By game time, there had to be 15,000 people in that parking lot.  It was great until Wide right.

i would never spend that kind of money on a ticket.  I can afford it, but I’d rather watch on TV with no one, as I want to watch the game and not be distracted.

14 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Not surprised.  Older Chief fans have been waiting 50 years and can appreciate that through a couple of bad bounces they may not see the Chiefs in the SB during their lifetime again.

My first thought was so much money in the Bay Area, it would drive the prices up. Second thought was so many tech bro’s don’t watch football anyway, so now I am lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

The ticketing sites are such a bunch of crap with their fees.  What is BS is how they charge their fees based on a percentage of the ticket sale price.  Their service/work is the same whether it is a $20 or $20,000 ticket.  Look at this breakdown from a couple of lower level end zone seats for the superbowl.  $3,670.50 in fees!

ORDER TOTAL

$15,016.50USD

Ticket price
2 x $5,673.00
Service Fee
2 x $1,830.00
Delivery Fee
2 x $5.25

That delivery fee is where they get ya

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think $500 would be the most I'd ever pay for any ticket to any event.

I don't judge anyone for spending thousands on one ticket.  There's just nothing on earth I'd want to see in person that much.  To each his/her own!

I would love to go a championship game for each major sport, but if the ticket price was 6k, I don't think i could ever justify it 

Current Get In ticket price is down 1700 from this time yesterday. The big rush for tickets is over and with more tickets hitting the market everyday prices will level out unless big brokers control the market like what happened in Phoenix when a scarcity of tickets drove the get in price to 10k,

On a side not buyers will aways complain about stub hub fees however with these huge events the ticket guarantee that it is valid. s worth it If someone is buying a 10 dollar Sabre ticket off Craigslist and it is bad no big deal. However when someone is spending 4500 per ticket that ticket has to be valid.

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

That was a bad game for us but I am still jealous of you.  I was a teenager when we played the Giants.  My parents were debating about going to the super bowl or buying their first big screen TV.  I wanted to go to the game.  I begged and begged.  They got the TV.  I so wish I could of had that experience even in a loss.

I was at that game and the tickets were $100 each. Wouldn’t trade the experience for the world!

I've been to 6 Super Bowls.  Here's data from my spreadsheet updated to 2019 costs.  For Super Bowl 50, I bought too soon after the prices went crazy for XLIX and if I had timed the market I could have saved $1,000-$1,500 per ticket-I bought 2 that year. All amounts are costs for 1 person/1 ticket. 

Year Transportation Car Rental Ticket Lodging Misc Parking Total Inflation  Adj to early 2016 $ ADJ to 2019 Notes              
1991 $158.00 $83.73 $1,165.00 $60.00 $50.00 $0.00 $1,516.73 1.75 $2,654.28 $2,783.81 Lodging is for 2 motel nights in Orlando, ticket is Disney Package    
1992 $919.00 $0.00 $150.00 $0.00 $50.00 $0.00 $1,119.00 1.7 $1,902.30 $1,995.13 Transportation and lodging grouped, includes $779 for flight/motel    
1993 $344.50 $52.08 $175.00 $64.42 $100.00 $10.00 $736.00 1.65 $1,214.40 $1,273.66 Lodging & Car Rental represents half total cost.        
1994 $60.00 $0.00 $1,248.00 $0.00 $150.00 $0.00 $1,458.00 1.61 $2,347.38 $2,461.93 Ticket includes lodging & flight, transportation includes est. railroad cost to Buffalo
2014 $60.00 $0.00 $1,857.50 $114.99 $125.00 $105.00 $2,157.49 1.02 $2,200.64 $2,308.03 Transportation is for gas & tolls to drive to game      
2016 $395.00 $0.00 $4,726.20 $0.00 $125.00 $20.00 $5,246.20 1 $5,246.20 $5,502.21 Parking is shuttle to & from Fremont        
                  $15,565.20 $16,324.78                
                Average cost $3,113.04 $3,264.96                
Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That also happened in Atlanta for the Bills last Super Bowl (at much lower prices in 1994) where many Bills fans never got their tickets.  

That happened to us via Small World Travel.  They told us before we went down the broker fell through and said we could go down anyway and they would try to get us tickets.  The travel agents bailed on us once we got down there and only a few of us were able to scalp seats.  We paid $2000 a piece.  Got them off some car dealers who had gotten them free as a sales award.  We filed a class action suit against the travel agency and they went bankrupt after refunding about $300 of our $1300 package. Got a CNN interview out of it!

15 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Those prices are actually a lot lower than I expected.  

I have a hunch prices will crash a day or two before the game. My old boss has a saying that I think fits here: "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

I went to the Bills' last SB in Atlanta, and have repeatedly said ever since that the only way I'll go to another one is if (a) the Bills are not in it, and (b) I'm not paying for it.

When the Bills get back in the big game I'll buy myself a plane ticket to Buffalo and watch it there.  Can't think of any place I'd rather be when they finally win it all.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

That happened to us via Small World Travel.  They told us before we went down the broker fell through and said we could go down anyway and they would try to get us tickets.  The travel agents bailed on us once we got down there and only a few of us were able to scalp seats.  We paid $2000 a piece.  Got them off some car dealers who had gotten them free as a sales award.  We filed a class action suit against the travel agency and they went bankrupt after refunding about $300 of our $1300 package. Got a CNN interview out of it!

So...buy via a travel agent, or..?

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Long story, but here goes..

1) Wisconsin makes Rose Bowl Janiary 94, first time in 30 years. Murray's Tickets in LA sells all kinds of packages to Wisconsin fans, figuring they will be able to easily fulfill the ticket piece as they always have. Hotel was the Pasadena Holiday Inn,which was a very nice hotel at the time,  where my sister was controller and another ex Buffalonian  was GM( how we received free tickets to game in Super Bowl in Rose Bowl). Murray's did not anticipate the crush of Wisconsin fans, and could not fulfill the bulk of the ticket obligations. The Wisconsin folks partied pretty hard at the Holiday INN bar for 3 days all charged to rooms..all walked on their bill. Huge loss for the hotel.

Fast forward a month and Murray's exec told my sister to head to Atlanta, as a way of a partial apology they would get us tickets to the game. Sunday at 2PM, we still aint got no tickets! Same thing was happening there and tickets were running like $2500/per, and looked like we made the trip for nothing as they said tickets were way more expensive than anticipated. The GM then pulled the strongest move i have ever seen...he called the CEO at Murray's, said sorry the 300 rooms you got booked for the World Cup Final are going away  unless my folks in ATL have tickets in the next 30 minutes. 

Got a call in 5 minutes with tickets in hand at 2:15, and awesome seats at that!

Ticket scalping was a different world back then!

BTW, was in  the hall way smoking half a pack of Marlboros with my brother for halftime..same feeling as halftime at Texans game...this is OUR Time!!!!when will i ever learn!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

53 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

So...buy via a travel agent, or..?

I would probably use an agent again if I went but I think that was my one and only Super Bowl. Just not into it that much any more. 

We went to Switzerland this past year and I would much rather invest in those kinds of trips. Absolutely beautiful experience. 

Edited by WotAGuy