Tennessee Titans in Search of New DC - Could Impact Buffalo

JGMcD2

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-dc-dean-pees-announces-his-retirement

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/20/report-steve-wilks-will-not-be-back-as-browns-defensive-coordinator/

I'm kind of un-enthused about ex-coordinators as assistant coaches.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes you get a guy who is still working through issues from his last coordinator job, fretting about the demotion, and thinking about how can he get the next step.

Worked with Leslie Frazier. He went DC, HC, DB coach and then back up to DC when he came here. Depends a lot on the personality I think. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Worked with Leslie Frazier. He went DC, HC, DB coach and then back up to DC when he came here. Depends a lot on the personality I think. 

Didn't seem to work with Terry Robieskie.  Went from Thumbtacks OC to our WR coach and our Wr didn't seem to run decent routes that year.

Course, that could be correlation, not causation but at the very least, he couldn't turn things around.

But absolutely depends upon the personalities in question and also where the person is in their journey - working through the firing? happy to have a job with someone they respect doing something they can do a good job of?  etc

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

good thing the NFL has defined it isn’t then 

Going from a DB coach to DC may not be a promotion according to the NFL, but wouldn't you (or anyone else) consider it to be?

I think Beane and McD allow the interview.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Going from a DB coach to DC may not be a promotion according to the NFL, but wouldn't you (or anyone else) consider it to be?

I think Beane and McD allow the interview.

They May. I wouldn’t. I would use the rules applied to me to get a pick to talk to him. Door for free poaching is over IMO. Would you be happy with Morgan getting poached at this point in offseason for a Non GM job?

Edited by MAJBobby

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

good thing the NFL has defined it isn’t then 

I don't think you see the point. NFL rules aren't the issue. If you are seen as an organization that will block a coach from a clear promotion (and it absolutely is a promotion regardless of NFL policies) that looks bad. McDermott and Beane wouldn't do that regardless of NFL rules and policies. They will let a guy take a job like that.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think you see the point. NFL rules aren't the issue. If you are seen as an organization that will block a coach from a clear promotion (and it absolutely is a promotion regardless of NFL policies) that looks bad. McDermott and Beane wouldn't do that regardless of NFL rules and policies. They will let a guy take a job like that.

If it happened 2 weeks ago for sure. They are into their process now. I think it is less certain. 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

happens all the time with every team. And never hurts them. 

I acknowledged Beane and McD would likely grant an interview if requested. 

I am saying I wouldn’t without compensation. And History has shown organizations that don’t still have no problems getting future coaches 

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They May. I wouldn’t. I would use the rules applied to me to get a pick to talk to him. Door for free poaching is over IMO. Would you be happy with Morgan getting poached at this point in offseason for a Non GM job?

If the interview was for a position that brought him a step closer to becoming a GM (such as an assistant GM) and is not a lateral move, he should be allowed to interview.  If the interview was for Director of Player Personnel for Tennessee, Carolina, or whoever else, then that should be blocked.  But if it was for assistant GM for Carolina, Tennessee, etc where he is being groomed for a GM role, he should be allowed.

It is all about allowing people to grow.  If you keep people down, they'll want to leave in the future, anyway; plus no one would want to work for that organization once word got out.  What if your boss didn't allow you to interview for a promotion in your organization?  How would you feel?

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

If the interview was for a position that brought him a step closer to becoming a GM (such as an assistant GM) and is not a lateral move, he should be allowed to interview.  If the interview was for Director of Player Personnel for Tennessee, Carolina, or whoever else, then that should be blocked.  But if it was for assistant GM for Carolina, Tennessee, etc where he is being groomed for a GM role, he should be allowed.

It is all about allowing people to grow.  If you keep people down, they'll want to leave in the future, anyway; plus no one would want to work for that organization once word got out.  What if your boss didn't allow you to interview for a promotion in your organization?  How would you feel?

so a lateral move with a meaningless title?  

How would I feel? I am under contract. I am only taking on what my industry calls a true promotion. This industry that we are talking about defines that as GM or HC. 

so I would be fine if my employer blocked an interview 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

so a lateral move with a meaningless title?  

How would I feel? I am under contract. I am only taking on what my industry calls a true promotion. This industry that we are talking about defines that as GM or HC. 

so I would be fine if my employer blocked an interview 

I have a feeling there is going to be no winning this argument with you.  I think you're looking at this situation too black and white.  Clearly a position coach to DC is a jump in responsibilities, regardless of how the NFL defines it.  How many position coaches are also the DC?  I'm asking because I'm not aware of any, though maybe you can cite an instance.

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I have a feeling there is going to be no winning this argument with you.  I think you're looking at this situation too black and white.  Clearly a position coach to DC is a jump in responsibilities, regardless of how the NFL defines it.  How many position coaches are also the DC?  I'm asking because I'm not aware of any, though maybe you can cite an instance.

There isn’t winning anything. With either of us. You have your perspective. I made mine which is very reasonable clear as well. 

Quick question is this just like the NFLs version of a non compete clause?  Yep. I am a PM for LCMO. If Raytheon wants to interview me for a Senior PM position (more pay more responsibility) I can’t because of the non compete that I entered knowingly. 

at this point in the offseason yes I am taking a hard stance. And saying you want the interview we want compensation otherwise promote from within or you get the best of the unemployed like you Tenn Titans would want the Buffalo Bills to. 

sorry that doesn’t fly.  

even MORESO with current FO staff. No one gets granted ANY interview until after the draft (unless for GM). 

at some point you have to say yep the time for free poaching or insight has passed. Now it will cost you or you can re-engage during my open for free poaching window. 

Edited by MAJBobby