Tampa Bay and Indy are the most intriguing teams for veteran free agent QBs QB

On 1/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think Tampa are sticking with Winston. Just a gut feeling. 

QB pergatory

9 minutes ago, stuvian said:

the Bucs had the#1 pass rusher Shaquille Barrett and WR Mike Evans. Beyond that I didn't see much to get excited about

Chris Godwin might want to dispute that.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I was on the NFL subreddit a few weeks back and someone legitimately called Winston's season with Arians as the new shot caller. Said something like, "Jameis about to rack up 5000 yards, 33 TDs, and 30 INTs" which is exactly what he did... I say this because it seems like there's a feeling that Rivers could do well there... he threw 20 INTs last season, haha, so I guess he'd fit right in. I watched a few Chargers games this past year and anytime they were trailing (which was a lot) it seemed like all they did was toss up a prayer and see if one of their guys would come down with it. There'd be time on the clock to construct a decent drive but instead it was like they were trying to get all the yards they needed in one play. 

Can you imagine Drew Brees in that offense? He'd take them to another level as well, a level beyond that of what Phillip Rivers could. The only thing Tampa would need is a couple of quality RB's, some tweaking of the OL, and they would be a legitimate NFC contender for a couple of years if Brees' consistency holds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:16 PM, KzooMike said:

Rivers to TB is gold. Outside of Winston Rivers probably throws as many 50/50 balls as any QB in football. That is perfect for that group of WR's in TB that can just go up and get it. Unlike Winston, his 50/50 balls generally aren't intercepted and while he still does make the occasional bone head play it's usually around desperation time.  TB is way better than most casual fans think. Defense showed a lot this year. Huge strides. Offense has talent for days.    

How often did you watch him last year?  Personally I think he's lost a bit off his fastball. Those 50/50's aren't getting there as fast as they used to.

48 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

How often did you watch him last year?  Personally I think he's lost a bit off his fastball. Those 50/50's aren't getting there as fast as they used to.

Agreed.  Rivers in TB could mean the Bucs would have back-to-back 30/30 QBs.  And Rivers has more of a shot put throw than a fastball.  No Bueno.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, blizzardman said:

Replacing Winston with Rivers is a weird one. 

It really only makes sense if Tampa is looking to cut costs at the QB position or wants to draft a QB and view Rivers as a better mentor. Rivers is almost certainly a downgrade compared to Jameis and is obviously like 12+ years older too.

At any rate, Rivers reportedly moved close to Panama City; that's a very long commute to play for Tampa. Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans and Jacksonville are all closer.

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

the Bucs had the#1 pass rusher Shaquille Barrett and WR Mike Evans. Beyond that I didn't see much to get excited about

Chris Godwin was the #1 rated WR by PFF this year; they have two elite WRs in place for whoever the QB is. Two talented TEs. Their offensive line blossomed this year after seemingly a decade of being among the worst in the league. Ali Marpet has always been a stud, but the rest of the group all played average or above-average this season. The defense as a whole was above-average, and was particularly good down the stretch with Vita Vea blossoming into one of the best young DTs in the league, Jamel Dean playing at an elite level the second half of the year, Shaq Barrett obviously having a monster year, and LaVonte David being his usual elite self.

They have a lot of talent on that team; just too many turnovers or they probably would have been in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Chris Godwin was the #1 rated WR by PFF this year; they have two elite WRs in place for whoever the QB is. Two talented TEs. Their offensive line blossomed this year after seemingly a decade of being among the worst in the league. Ali Marpet has always been a stud, but the rest of the group all played average or above-average this season. The defense as a whole was above-average, and was particularly good down the stretch with Vita Vea blossoming into one of the best young DTs in the league, Jamel Dean playing at an elite level the second half of the year, Shaq Barrett obviously having a monster year, and LaVonte David being his usual elite self.

They have a lot of talent on that team; just too many turnovers or they probably would have been in the playoffs.

And they have good coaching minds on both sides of the ball in Arians and Bowles.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, aristocrat said:

it will be interesting to see what happens with winston. will someone take a shot at him?

Possibly law enforcement, if he shoplifts any more crab legs.

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

tamp went 7-9 with 3 losses 4 points or less and another 3 losses by a td or less. that's with winston and his 30  picks.  they gotta get the guy to throw less picks somehow. 

BBRF!

(Bring Back Ryan Fitzpatrick!)

3 hours ago, Sunshower said:

I’d say the Titans. Tom Brady on the Titans makes them a dangerous team. They got to the AFC Championship on the shoulders of Derrick Henry. If you add Tom Brady to the mix they could be deadly.

Is Tom Brady of two years ago being resurrected in this free agency? Because at this point he’s no better than Tannehill. 16 games this season Brady has 4000 yards, 24TD + 8 INTS. 10 games and Tannehill has 2700 yards, 22 TDS and 6 INTS. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Is Tom Brady of two years ago being resurrected in this free agency? Because at this point he’s no better than Tannehill. 16 games this season Brady has 4000 yards, 24TD + 8 INTS. 10 games and Tannehill has 2700 yards, 22 TDS and 6 INTS. 

Tannehill was the perfect QB for their style of play...he is accurate deep and they used him off play action to go deep to wide open players many times...just didn't work well enough against KC in the championship game because they bottled up Henry pretty well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I watched enough of him and TB to feel solid in my statement. Rivers is certainly on the decline, totally agree with that, but his real bonehead decisions seemed to always come in desperation mode. I think he's the right guy for TB. I expect the defense will be a top 10 unit next year, Evans and Godwin, even Perriman was coming along (I think he is a FA?) <= lets get on that if it's the case(Nearly 500 yards/5 TD's his final 5 games as the primary).. Physical, was high pointing,  speed. I'm taking Tampa as my turnaround team if this move goes down. 

19 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Possibly law enforcement, if he shoplifts any more crab legs.

BBRF!

(Bring Back Ryan Fitzpatrick!)

Fitz says he wants to play again this year and Miami says they want him back but he might hit FA to see what offers he gets.

While I would enjoy a Fitzmagic return to Buffalo it would be with the dreaded thought that he somehow seems to get the starting gig everywhere he goes ;)