What I learned from the Titans-Chiefs Championship game

I learned Ryan Tannehill will turn back into a pumpkin whenever he gets treated like a princess

(I know he played ok most of the day but when they needed to come back and a lot was on his shoulders, I just felt like....there's the Miami Dolphin QB I use to love to see twice a year.)

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I wasn't watching the same game you were.  I was astounded at how frequently Tennessee just rushed three, and Mahomes had literally ALL DAY to wait for one of his speedy weapons to break open -- which they always did.  The number of wide open receivers in KC's offense is unbelievable.

Mahomes can kill you if you blitz frequently. You need to be able to rush 4 and get home while playing blanket coverage. How many teams can do that all game?

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You misunderstood me.  The Chiefs don't have two series to squander.  The most probable cause of no points after the first two series which is what Ryan C883 was alluding to is the SF DL being disruptive to the point of KC RB having no place to go and Mahomes running out of bounds or throwing the ball away.

The 9er's can't take Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Hardiman all away on every single play. They have to pick their poison. Teams can be successful early with schemes to limit Hill or Kelce, but the Chiefs are great at adjusting and punishing the opponent because they have 4 solid play makers in the passing attack. 

They can also go on huge runs at any point in the game. Getting shut down early has almost no baring on what they will be able to exploit later in the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

1.  You don't always need flashy WR's to move the ball.  I was fairly impressed with the array of TE's that the Titans had.  Would our TE's approach that level of threat now that they have one year of seasoning under their belts?  I'm hoping that we found perhaps two of our TE's for the next few years.

2.  If you can get them it sure is nice to have elite receivers.  Tyreek Hill had an amazing day and certainly helped his team get the win.

3.  Both O lines were good but not elite.  Did not see many holes opened for either run game never mind second level blocking.  Henry got probably 60 percent of his production on his own.  The Titan pass rush hurried Mahomes all day.  Point is while dreaming about All Pro Centers and LT's it is nice that is not an absolute requirement to make the conference championship.

4.  Both defenses had playmakers but few star players.  Something that the Bills had and with a good FA period and draft will continue to have.

5.  It is OK once again to root for the AFC Champion in the SB.  No NE stink or disciple of Bill Bilicheck talk in Vrabel (I call him Jughead) leading up to the SB.  I am old enough to remember Lamar Hunt and the quality person he was and came away liking the son at the acceptance of the trophy named after his father.

Mods if this is too much like any other playoff talk threads then please merge if possible.

We started the process of bringing in more talent at the skill positions on offense, but still need to add a few playmakers to complete the overhaul. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Watkins & Williams make up an offense that you can take a player or two away and still put up 35 points.

For how good the Titans TEs may be they only put up 295 yards for the game and in the end that's why they lost. They had given up 13 & 12 points in their first 2 playoff games, but once they met an offense that could hurt you in a variety of ways and put up over 30 their offense wasn't built to put up points quickly. 

Your if take on a WR for KC having an amazing day doesn't include Watkins then I question what game you watched. Most catches & receiving yards and easily the longest play of the day by either team. For all the negative Sammy gets on this board he will be the leader of any player come Super Bowl Sunday in receiving yards and yards per catch in this year's playoffs. In 4 playoff games now with KC he has 22 catches for 366 yards & a TD and has 6 plays of 20 yards or more on only 28 targets. That's being a really productive player on an offense that has a ton of talent.

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Mahomes can kill you if you blitz frequently. You need to be able to rush 4 and get home while playing blanket coverage. How many teams can do that all game?

The 9er's can't take Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Hardiman all away on every single play. They have to pick their poison. Teams can be successful early with schemes to limit Hill or Kelce, but the Chiefs are great at adjusting and punishing the opponent because they have 4 solid play makers in the passing attack. 

They can also go on huge runs at any point in the game. Getting shut down early has almost no baring on what they will be able to exploit later in the game. 

The Chiefs will not be facing the Texans in the SB.  SF will pressure Mahomes with its DL.  If I am SF DC I make KC win it by making Mahomes go to Watkins and Hardiman.  I take Hill out as much as possible via pass interference.  The SF defensive staff as we speak are checking out the officiating crew for the SB and its tendencies.  I don't think that KC can win if 2/3 of the passes go in the direction of Watkins and Hardiman.  I would have to go back and check Kelce's stats for the AFCG but he did not jump out at me yesterday while watching the television.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The Chiefs will not be facing the Texans in the SB.  SF will pressure Mahomes with its DL.  If I am SF DC I make KC win it by making Mahomes go to Watkins and Hardiman.  I take Hill out as much as possible via pass interference.  The SF defensive staff as we speak are checking out the officiating crew for the SB and its tendencies.  I don't think that KC can win if 2/3 of the passes go in the direction of Watkins and Hardiman.  I would have to go back and check Kelce's stats for the AFCG but he did not jump out at me yesterday while watching the television.

So the 9er's have to commit pass interference on Hill every play. All righty then. Sure, if they can hold him and interfere with him all game and not get called for it then I agree, they have a shot at shutting them down. 

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

We started the process of bringing in more talent at the skill positions on offense, but still need to add a few playmakers to complete the overhaul. Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Watkins & Williams make up an offense that you can take a player or two away and still put up 35 points.

For how good the Titans TEs may be they only put up 295 yards for the game and in the end that's why they lost. They had given up 13 & 12 points in their first 2 playoff games, but once they met an offense that could hurt you in a variety of ways and put up over 30 their offense wasn't built to put up points quickly. 

Your if take on a WR for KC having an amazing day doesn't include Watkins then I question what game you watched. Most catches & receiving yards and easily the longest play of the day by either team. For all the negative Sammy gets on this board he will be the leader of any player come Super Bowl Sunday in receiving yards and yards per catch in this year's playoffs. In 4 playoff games now with KC he has 22 catches for 366 yards & a TD and has 6 plays of 20 yards or more on only 28 targets. That's being a really productive player on an offense that has a ton of talent.

Watkins had a few good plays versus several.  Something that I expect SF to make a note of.  If I were a betting man I would bet against Watkins having several productive plays versus having a few.  It's logical for SF to put pressure on Watkins to pull the rabbit out of his hat for several plays.

Just now, Motorin' said:

So the 9er's have to commit pass interference on Hill every play. All righty then. Sure, if they can hold him and interfere with him all game and not get called for it then I agree, they have a shot at shutting them down. 

I hate to break it to you but all teams at the very least encourage PI if it is not a specific point in a plan.  How many DB's get benched after a costly PI penalty?  Very few.  Can you PI interfere Hill literally all game? No. You have to mix it up and part of that is to look at Hill in terms of tendencies.

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Watkins had a few good plays versus several.  Something that I expect SF to make a note of.  If I were a betting man I would bet against Watkins having several productive plays versus having a few.  It's logical for SF to put pressure on Watkins to pull the rabbit out of his hat for several plays.

I hate to break it to you but all teams at the very least encourage PI if it is not a specific point in a plan.  How many DB's get benched after a costly PI penalty?  Very few.  Can you PI interfere Hill literally all game? No. You have to mix it up and part of that is to look at Hill in terms of tendencies.

67 yards receiving and a 7 yard run? 

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Wishful thinking  all the way around my friend....  we shall see... 

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

67 yards receiving and a 7 yard run? 

Not good enough for a SF team that will most likely produce over 30 points.  If SF can successfully mute Hill the Watkins will need most likely 100-120 yards and that is with Mahomes picking up 50 plus yards and Kelce having a very good day.  I don't expect SF to turn it over to give KC a short field where lesser numbers will add up to many points.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Not good enough for a SF team that will most likely produce over 30 points.  If SF can successfully mute Hill the Watkins will need most likely 100-120 yards and that is with Mahomes picking up 50 plus yards and Kelce having a very good day.  I don't expect SF to turn it over to give KC a short field where lesser numbers will add up to many points.

Sammy put up 114 yesterday, and has averaged over 90 yards per game in his 4 playoff games with KC, seems like 100-120 is not out of the question.

KC scored 35 with no short fields, so I don't know what you're referring to with your comment. Their scoring drives were 74, 63, 86, 73 & 88 yards, 5 drives that averaged nearly 77 yards per drive.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Wishful thinking  all the way around my friend....  we shall see... 

Not really.  Nobody has to ride Hill for 10 yards which is obvious.  The SF DL is potent to the point where it just needs its DB's to disrupt Hill for a second or two so the PI could be disguised pretty well.  Not trying to be down on KC but just acknowledging that SF's DL is extremely good.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Not really.  Nobody has to ride Hill for 10 yards which is obvious.  The SF DL is potent to the point where it just needs its DB's to disrupt Hill for a second or two so the PI could be disguised pretty well.  Not trying to be down on KC but just acknowledging that SF's DL is extremely good.

I saw enough from what Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan could do against their D to know that Mahomes will have success...

There's no way they are going to take Hill out of the game. How many times did you see him or Hardiman running crazy motion at the snap of the ball yesterday? They are deadly. 

Edited by Motorin'

Sammy put up 114 yesterday, and has averaged over 90 yards per game in his 4 playoff games with KC, seems like 100-120 is not out of the question.

KC scored 35 with no short fields, so I don't know what you're referring to with your comment. Their scoring drives were 74, 63, 86, 73 & 88 yards, 5 drives that averaged nearly 77 yards per drive.

Yeah , I know KC had no short fields but am saying there is no margin for error with respect to SF in those terms.  Yes, he put those numbers up but I question whether he is going to do that in the SB.  I think that SF DB >>>>>>>Ten DB.  Yards for KC receivers will be hard to come by.

45 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I wasn't watching the same game you were.  I was astounded at how frequently Tennessee just rushed three, and Mahomes had literally ALL DAY to wait for one of his speedy weapons to break open -- which they always did.  The number of wide open receivers in KC's offense is unbelievable.

From my viewpoint, I saw Mahomes buying time with his movement and making unbelievable throws like the TD to Watkins. Mahomes is very good at buying time in the pocket with his movement. He looks to throw the ball before he runs. Another example was his TD run.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Yeah , I know KC had no short fields but am saying there is no margin for error with respect to SF in those terms.  Yes, he put those numbers up but I question whether he is going to do that in the SB.  I think that SF DB >>>>>>>Ten DB.  Yards for KC receivers will be hard to come by.

He was covered by Gilmore the whole game in last year's AFC Championship game last year and had 8 catches for 114 yards. They doubled Hill & Kelce with other players. SF has a really good defense, but they have no one of the caliber of Gilmore in their backfield to cover Sammy one on one. Mahomes has the head & legs to avoid sacks & extend plays.

He was covered by Gilmore the whole game in last year's AFC Championship game last year and had 8 catches for 114 yards. They doubled Hill & Kelce with other players. SF has a really good defense, but they have no one of the caliber of Gilmore in their backfield to cover Sammy one on one. Mahomes has the head & legs to avoid sacks & extend plays.

I'd grade out SF defensive backs as a group over NE.  As individuals the NE DB's are pretty good but SF obviously does something better to get more out of that unit.  There is also the factor that sometimes for a season a team plays above its normal abilities and I think that is where SF is at.  The Giants earned a few SB wins doing that.

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Mahomes is awesome but damn, the weapons he has would make any QB look like a star. Like I posted up thread, he is literally throwing to wide open guys all day. 

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

It tells me the Bills are right there.

A few tweaks and bigger balls by the coaching staff could have the Bills SB bound in 2020.

We shall see.

I have no doubt McB will add several offensive weapons to compliment Josh. I don't have alot of faith in the bigger balls portion.  I don't see Dermott ever changing his conservative philosophy. Josh better be prepared to change plays at the LOS.....

We learned that if we ever want to win a SB, we must get through Mahomes.