Senior Bowl week

Lurker

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Van Jefferson has made himself some money this week 

The issue with the film on the UF WRs is they have been with crap QBs. It’s tough to adequately evaluate them. I hope they can overcome that given that these kids are very talented but got stuck in a bad offense. I remember a couple years ago one of the scouts said that about the Notre Dame WRs who played with Winbush. They trashed the the film and took the WR off their board, it was that difficult to evaluate. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The issue with the film on the UF WRs is they have been with crap QBs. It’s tough to adequately evaluate them. I hope they can overcome that given that these kids are very talented but got stuck in a bad offense. I remember a couple years ago one of the scouts said that about the Notre Dame WRs who played with Winbush. They trashed the the film and took the WR off their board, it was that difficult to evaluate. 

That was Kevin Colbert’s son. The Steelers took St. Brown off their board because they had no idea if he was any good. He ended up getting drafted way later than people thought so maybe others had that same hesitation.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that is biggest for Gandy-Golden. A lot of concerns coming into this week about his speed. 

I’m going to guess he will excel in the actual game on Saturday. He was dominant for Liberty the last several years.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Van Jefferson has made himself some money this week 

I'd love to see the Bills draft this kid in the 4th round.  He reminds me of the type of player the Pats used to pick that seemed sort of meh at first, but through smarts, technique and work ethic turned into an effective,  'Doh!  Why didn't we draft him?" kind of player.     

His moves are so silky and refined for a college player (albeit, a 23-year old playing against 18, 19, 20 year olds should have an edge) .  Now, with the top speed at the Senior Bowl, he looks even better.   

He'd have to play special teams at that draft slot, which I don't know if he can, but I want to follow this kid's career, wherever he lands...

• Like (+1) 2

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 4:49 PM, buffalostu2 said:

Don't forget Claypool.  I am eager to see him. He has the size, catch radius, and competitiveness the Bills are looking for.  Just curious if he has the separation.  It will be fun to see him catching from big armed QBs

This guy can play. Makes all kinds of catches at high point. I think he is better than Boykin who had a great year in Baltimore. Claypool was also a leading tackler on special teams for the Irish.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he elevates himself into the 3rd round based on his Senior Bowl - a mature WR that understands the defenses and won't require a ton of coaching up.  Even with having some decent QB play this year, it was still a little difficult to assess him because he played outside and Trask doesn't have a strong arm.  Jefferson would go from catching slow pitch softballs to pure heat fastballs.  He's the type of receiver that is a great option for a QB that has good anticipation and makes good timing throws.  I think having a good WR like that would give Josh that opportunity to improve in that aspect and be a better rhythm passer.  If he improves in that aspect of his game - watch out NFL.  Having a guy like that who knows how to get open with timing would be a big help, but also help evaluate whether Josh is ever going to pick up that part of the game or if it is always going to be something that isn't his strong suit.  I think a lot of us still don't know because the knock on Bills WRs is that they don't get open on those types of routes with any consistency.  I don't know if that is entirely true, but that seems to be Jefferson's best attribute.

Just now, Lofton80 said:

This guy can play. Makes all kinds of catches at high point. I think he is better than Boykin who had a great year in Baltimore. Claypool was also a leading tackler on special teams for the Irish.

I think he is an interesting prospect as well.  I watched some games (every snap he took - including against Georgia who probably had the most defensive talent he faced) and while he made some good plays he did look like he struggled getting open and creating any separation.  Against lesser competition he looked a lot better, and the QBs he played with weren't exactly good.  I've seen him all over the mock draft boards from early 2nd to the 5th round.  Some people think he may be better suited putting on weight and be a pass catching TE, but I'm not sure about that and think it is based on what people perceived as stiffness in his route running which made him look more like a TE running routes.  The word from the senior bowl is that he looks way more fluid than he did on tape.  I'll be interested to see if he has improved in the start of his routes too, which is I think his biggest weakness in getting separation (good coverage has no problem sticking with him from the start of his route).

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Beane pretty much alluded to that when he talked about the importance of the two all-star games in evaluating the WR - the chance to see them run the same drills and routes against the same players with the same QBs throwing to them.  And of course, they get to talk to the guys and bring them in or set up workouts with them.

Did you catch (Ha!) in the locker clean out presser where Dawson Knox said he had "worked out some" with Josh Allen last spring "before (I) knew we were going to be teammates"?  I wonder how that got set up... the coaches and players are allowed to call each other and have like social chats. ?

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's incredible how poor the talent at major college programs to be.   Watching film of guys like Shenault and Aiyuk is mind numbing at times becasue their olines cant block and their quarterbacks cant play. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, LEBills said:

I think that is biggest for Gandy-Golden. A lot of concerns coming into this week about his speed. 

I’m going to guess he will excel in the actual game on Saturday. He was dominant for Liberty the last several years.

AGG killed UB when we played against him. I've kept my eye on him all season as a result, love his size and way he plays. I'm just not sure what round he goes, I'm thinking 3 or later. 

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's incredible how poor the talent at major college programs to be.   Watching film of guys like Shenault and Aiyuk is mind numbing at times becasue their olines cant block and their quarterbacks cant play. 

It's more of an issue of how wide the spread of talent is at the college level compared to how much tighter it is in the NFL.  College games are rarely evenly matched and the talent on rosters of even major programs have a big differential in talent from top to bottom with the exception of a few programs that the best talent flocks to (in the past 10 plus years the only coaches that come to mind are Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Dabo Sweeney.  They consistently have very talented depth at all the right spots).  Felipe Franks was so incredibly up and down and really had no idea how to throw consistently with anticipation and then a guy like Trask who wasn't even a starter in High School comes in and just throws consistently with timing and you're like okay it was the QB not the WRs.  The Gators OL was so bad in run blocking this year that they were basically a one dimensional team and they could still move the ball pretty consistently - that was because they had good WRs and a QB who just made simple throws and knew how to read coverage.

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is Chase Claypool this year’s Harrison Phillips? A guy universally linked to the Bills that we draft? Did he wrestle in HS?

Maybe:    https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-senior-bowl-draft-chase-claypool-making-moves

Had a real nice bowl game (7 REC, 146 YDS, 1 TD)

Edited by Lurker

I won't include the write up, but for those with an Athletic subscrition this is a good read.  Virtually all of these guys are at positions of need for the Bills and I'd bet 1-2 might be drafted by Beane, given how much he likes the Senior Bowl.   Hope we can get Van Jefferson, my favorite mid-round WR right now...   (sorry for the all bold, I can't get it to format right for some reason)

https://theathletic.com/1560854/2020/01/25/senior-bowl-stock-report-14-prospects-who-made-money-in-mobile/

Senior Bowl Stock Report: 14 prospects who made money in Mobile

Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton (6-foot-5, 251 pounds)

Joshua Uche, Edge, Michigan (6-1, 241)

Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina (6-4, 267)  https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNCs-Jason-Strowbridge-Impressing-at-Senior-Bowl-142591868/

(He sounds like a process guy who could help replace Alexander)    Sitting at No. 77 overall on my draft board entering the week, Strowbridge was already highly thought of before the Senior Bowl. But his blend of athleticism and power made him a top performer from start to finish this week. Whether he lined up on the edge or on the interior, blockers had a tough time containing Strowbridge, who displayed the agility to work around blockers and the upper-body power to go through them. But more impressively, his handwork was violent and purposeful, using his upper and lower halves in unison to defeat blocks. And during team drills, when he couldn’t get home, he used his bit mitts to find the passing lane and knock down throws. While some teams might be hung up on fit questions, other teams will see the value he offers as an effective lineman inside and outside.

Kyle Dugger, LB/DS, Lenoir-Rhyne (6-1, 217)

Bradlee Anae, EDGE, Utah (6-3, 257)

Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (6-3, 206)

Van Jefferson, WR, Florida (6-2, 197)

As the son of a former NFL receiver and current NFL receivers coach, Jefferson learned the art of route running at a young age, sharpening those skills throughout high school and college. And it was that refinement that created a buzz during practices, relying on pace, tempo and timing mid-pattern to tie defensive backs in knots. Scouts knew he held a master’s degree in route running coming in, but seeing his effectiveness versus talented corners during practice amplified his strengths. It felt like Jefferson was going to be squeezed out of the first two days of the draft because of the vast depth at receiver in this class. But talking to scouts at the end of the week, the words “third round” were mentioned, as opposed to a month ago when it was “fourth or fifth” round.

Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic (6-5, 242)

Troy Pride, CB, Notre Dame (5-11, 193)

K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State (6-0, 192)

Ben Bartch, OT, St. John’s (Minn.) (6-6, 308)

Damien Lewis, OG, LSU (6-2, 329)

Larrell Murchison, DT, NC State (6-2, 294)

Hakeem Adeniji, OT/G, Kansas (6-4, 302)

Jalen Elliott, DS, Notre Dame (6-1, 205)

Edited by Lurker

On 1/23/2020 at 10:31 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

That was Kevin Colbert’s son. The Steelers took St. Brown off their board because they had no idea if he was any good. He ended up getting drafted way later than people thought so maybe others had that same hesitation.

I'm so glad we took Ray-Ray McCloud with St. Brown on the board