Sign in to follow this  
Bandito

Team needs for 2020

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In our base 43 this season Milano actually lined up at strong side majority with Zo at weakside

Which to me  is a$$ backwards as to me Milano's athleticism makes him an ideal WLB whereas think Zo's pass rushing ability make him a better Sam unless we wanted Milano in coverage against TEs that said I still think our best SLB candidate is Edmunds. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Which to me  is a$$ backwards as to me Milano's athleticism makes him an ideal WLB whereas think Zo's pass rushing ability make him a better Sam unless we wanted Milano in coverage against TEs that said I still think our best SLB candidate is Edmunds. 

That's exactly what it was and why I think they transitioned

Zo still had good speed to power and was able to use his instincts to make some plays..  I would like to see an old school Sam tho so Milano can play in space

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In our base 43 this season Milano actually lined up at strong side majority with Zo at weakside

I had not realized that, Thanks!

So how do you see the Bills replacing 'Zo? In addition to starters Edmunds and Milano, we have Corey Thompson, Vosean Joseph, and Delshawn Phillips under contract (per OTC) and Tyrel Dodson as an ERFA. 

They seemed to regard Joseph as the primary backup to Milano (Mo Alexander was the 3rd string).  Do you know if they regard any of the other 3 on the roster as a potential replacement for Lorax?  They seem to be moving on from Mo Alexander, at least, he's an UFA.  He totally did not impress when he played for Milano, but perhaps if Zo was lining up at weakside he could work out better there?  (dubious - I was that unimpressed)

And how can Milano work on his #%$@#$%@#$%@#^ tackling?

(click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.7fead488efd2e0b816f394faff89a4ac.png

image.thumb.png.b0a2d18e5f538578328c39ea5eb2bd47.png

image.thumb.png.6985bffbda58675596b8eec107f4873a.png

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had not realized that, Thanks!

So how do you see the Bills replacing 'Zo? In addition to starters Edmunds and Milano, we have Corey Thompson, Vosean Joseph, and Delshawn Phillips under contract (per OTC) and Tyrel Dodson as an ERFA. 

They seemed to regard Joseph as the primary backup to Milano (Mo Alexander was the 3rd string).  Do you know if they regard any of the other 3 on the roster as a potential replacement for Lorax?  They seem to be moving on from Mo Alexander, at least, he's an UFA.  He totally did not impress when he played for Milano, but perhaps if Zo was lining up at weakside he could work out better there?  (dubious - I was that unimpressed)

And how can Milano work on his #%$@#$%@#$%@#^ tackling?

(click to embiggen)

I think it all depends where the Bills want Milano to line up..  if they move him back to WLB then I don't think we have our Sam on the roster

If he stays at strong side then I think Joseph can get a first look at WILL with possibly Dodson if he stays

I think Milano struggled with his consistency tackling because he had to fight through a lot more muck at the strong side and he's on the smaller side for a LBr

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

(click to embiggen)

Man, how did we have the defensive sucess we had with that LB corps?   McD is a witch!     

This HAS to be a big area for reinforecements this spring...

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How about a real team need? 

Ruggs

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Man, how did we have the defensive sucess we had with that LB corps?   McD is a witch!     

This HAS to be a big area for reinforecements this spring...

Joe “The Show” Schoebert at MLB.

Edmunds to Sam in 3 LB sets.

Offensive line. Top end wide receiver. Tight end. Quarterback to improve his accuracy by 10-13%. High end edge rushers. 

I think it is hard to make a 'priority' list for what this teams needs in the offseason.  A "need' is a glaring hole.  I don't see any massive holes on this team.  Do we all want a great WR? Sure, but that is just it...you need a very good/great WR to be a major improvement over what you have.  At WR, what is going to be available for the Bills to sign at $10-$12 million per year?  Whoever that is...will it be an improvement over Brown?  Maybe, but at that price, how much of an improvement?  Do you want to try to go out and sign someone for $15 million per year or higher? if so, who?

With all that said, what is key for the Bills is to just get players who are improvments over what they have.  Upgrading from a below average offensive linemen to a guy who is just 'above average' may have more of an impact than upgrading from a good DT to a very good one.

Maybe its a cop-out to say, but I simply want any new players on this roster to be better than those they replace. If that means upgrading from a good DE to a great one....OK. If it means upgrading from a below average OL to an average one...I'm just as OK with that.  I don't want to/wont judge any additions based on simply 'how good' the player is..but rather...are they an upgrade.

The only place I see a need for a big time player would be to fill the 3rd LB spot.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the same guy who had the bills as an overrated team all year for reasons such as "They were only up 6-0 against the broncos at halftime." He's an absolute moron and it's mind boggling that he has such a big following. Can we all agree to never reference this site again and then close this thread?

Edited by Process

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think Walter is drunk.

...sometimes I think it's....Walter...........Brennan.....a/k/a Grandpappy Amos.....

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How about a real team need? 

Speed does kill, but speed needs playmaking ability to be a threat!! Robert Foster has speed, but appears to have limited playmaking ability. Get me a playmaker. I can list a plethora of players with average speed but we're playmakers opposed to those with speed and no playmaking ability.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I think it is hard to make a 'priority' list for what this teams needs in the offseason.  A "need' is a glaring hole.  I don't see any massive holes on this team.  Do we all want a great WR? Sure, but that is just it...you need a very good/great WR to be a major improvement over what you have.  At WR, what is going to be available for the Bills to sign at $10-$12 million per year?  Whoever that is...will it be an improvement over Brown?  Maybe, but at that price, how much of an improvement?  Do you want to try to go out and sign someone for $15 million per year or higher? if so, who?

With all that said, what is key for the Bills is to just get players who are improvments over what they have.  Upgrading from a below average offensive linemen to a guy who is just 'above average' may have more of an impact than upgrading from a good DT to a very good one.

Maybe its a cop-out to say, but I simply want any new players on this roster to be better than those they replace. If that means upgrading from a good DE to a great one....OK. If it means upgrading from a below average OL to an average one...I'm just as OK with that.  I don't want to/wont judge any additions based on simply 'how good' the player is..but rather...are they an upgrade.

The only place I see a need for a big time player would be to fill the 3rd LB spot.

I like this analysis.  I think it is basically how the Bills'  leaders think now.  And this year they have more money and more freedom to do this well. 

It will be very interesting to see if they can have as good as an off season this year as last by addressing needs,  improving across the board, and spending money wisely.

I definitely am confident that they will do this and continue on this clear path.

Edited by Mister Defense

41 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Speed does kill, but speed needs playmaking ability to be a threat!! Robert Foster has speed, but appears to have limited playmaking ability. Get me a playmaker. I can list a plethora of players with average speed but we're playmakers opposed to those with speed and no playmaking ability.

...and yet the 2 teams with the highest average ball carrier speed are in the Super Bowl. 4 of the top 5 teams were in the playoffs (including a team that won 14 games). Obviously we need playmaking but need speed in the skill positions. We have a bunch of “solid” guys. Ruggs makes a ton of sense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bandito said:

From Walterfootball

Team Needs: 

1. Two Guards: Buffalo improved its offensive line last offseason, but upgrades still need to be made. The weak point is guard, as two upgrades are needed. An alternative solution is one guard and a right tackle, which would allow the Bills to move Cody Ford inside, where he probably belongs. 

2. Defensive Tackle: Ed Oliver could end up being a great player, but the Bills don't have much else at the position. Another interior pass-rusher is needed. 

3. Wide Receiver: John Brown and Cole Beasley made for a nice duo this past season, but the Bills could use one more receiver to add to their group. 
  4. Defensive End Depth: Lorenzo Alexander has announced his retirement, so the Bills will need some edge-rushing depth. 
  5. Slot Cornerback: Kevin Johnson is an impending free agent, so he'll need to be replaced if he departs via the open market. 

6. Backup Running Back: Devin Singletary will need a new backup next year if the team doesn't re-sign Frank Gore. 

7. Backup Quarterback: The Bills could use a better backup quarterback than Matt Barkley. 

Walter needs to start following the team

THe LAST thing we need are two offensive guards..that is the spot we are actually set......Spain (if brought badk if not Ford), Jon F., Spencer Long, Ryan Bates......we are doing very well there...ALL of those players can start on this offensive line at OG

Defensive Tackle?  NO we literally do not have room for the quality DT's that we HAVE and we picked up Corey Liguet in the season and that Phillips DT from Miami (the other one) Horrible Harry, Oliver, We are going to LOSE a quality DT and still be set there

Defensive End depth?  How about Defensive End STARTER.....and pure edgue rusher is needed

The rest of it I agree with

2 hours ago, kbarrettb said:

Offensive line. Top end wide receiver. Tight end. Quarterback to improve his accuracy by 10-13%. High end edge rushers. 

I'd be happy with 65%. (6+% increase) 13% increase? That's pushing Brees type accuracy, I doubt 17 ever gets that high.

26 minutes ago, Biscuit_97 said:

I'd be happy with 65%. (6+% increase) 13% increase? That's pushing Brees type accuracy, I doubt 17 ever gets that high.

Nothing like having unrealistic expectations

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and yet the 2 teams with the highest average ball carrier speed are in the Super Bowl. 4 of the top 5 teams were in the playoffs (including a team that won 14 games). Obviously we need playmaking but need speed in the skill positions. We have a bunch of “solid” guys. Ruggs makes a ton of sense.

Kirby, the Titans were looking to trade Henry at the deadline. Mostert was cut 5xs from different teams. It wasn't the "speed" that kept them on rosters but the "playmaking" that teams saw in them. Ruggs would be nice because he has that combination of speed and playmaking 

9 hours ago, Bandito said:

From Walterfootball

Team Needs: 

1. Two Guards: Buffalo improved its offensive line last offseason, but upgrades still need to be made. The weak point is guard, as two upgrades are needed. An alternative solution is one guard and a right tackle, which would allow the Bills to move Cody Ford inside, where he probably belongs. 

2. Defensive Tackle: Ed Oliver could end up being a great player, but the Bills don't have much else at the position. Another interior pass-rusher is needed. 

3. Wide Receiver: John Brown and Cole Beasley made for a nice duo this past season, but the Bills could use one more receiver to add to their group. 
  4. Defensive End Depth: Lorenzo Alexander has announced his retirement, so the Bills will need some edge-rushing depth. 
  5. Slot Cornerback: Kevin Johnson is an impending free agent, so he'll need to be replaced if he departs via the open market. 

6. Backup Running Back: Devin Singletary will need a new backup next year if the team doesn't re-sign Frank Gore. 

7. Backup Quarterback: The Bills could use a better backup quarterback than Matt Barkley. 

Cody is a guard and the O-line needs a better tackle. I like Long and Spain. Edge rusher is a major need if Lawson or Murphy are not resigned and even if one stays another edge/linebacker would improve us with Alexander gone. A dynamic cover corner next to Tre and an explosive deep threat is a must. If we get a bruiser to complement Motor great things are possible. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep, we need guys who scare the defense. As you have correctly said, a guy who can score on a bubble screen or quick slant from 70 yards out. Speed scores. We need more of that! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, kbarrettb said:

So the QB needs to be around 70%?

Yeah, ok, that’s realistic for pretty much everyone 

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Ruggs

Joe “The Show” Schoebert at MLB.

Edmunds to Sam in 3 LB sets.

Edmunds might be the best pass rusher they could add this offseason...........dude's skills are seriously muted inside.    I know you agree with that.   Schoebert is a great fit in the defense.   Will be interesting to see how his market is.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Kirby, the Titans were looking to trade Henry at the deadline. Mostert was cut 5xs from different teams. It wasn't the "speed" that kept them on rosters but the "playmaking" that teams saw in them. Ruggs would be nice because he has that combination of speed and playmaking 

Again, you are trying to justify/dispute a fact. The teams with the fastest ball carriers on average are playing in the Super Bowl. That isn’t up for debate. Singletary is a playmaker. Beasley is a playmaker. John Brown is a playmaker. None of those guys are explosive. Mostert is explosive. Tyreke Hill is explosive. Hardman is explosive. There is a difference. We have guys that can make plays. We don’t have guys that score from 70 yards out. That’s why are offense struggles. It takes us too many long sustained drives. Once and a while you need to flip the field on one play. The Bills NEVER do that and that’s because they lack speed. 

Let’s take a look at the teams with the most yards per play: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-play

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, you are trying to justify/dispute a fact. The teams with the fastest ball carriers on average are playing in the Super Bowl. That isn’t up for debate. Singletary is a playmaker. Beasley is a playmaker. John Brown is a playmaker. None of those guys are explosive. Mostert is explosive. Tyreke Hill is explosive. Hardman is explosive. There is a difference. We have guys that can make plays. We don’t have guys that score from 70 yards out. That’s why are offense struggles. It takes us too many long sustained drives. Once and a while you need to flip the field on one play. The Bills NEVER do that and that’s because they lack speed. 

I love Singletary, but he’s the perfect example here. He’ll get you nice average per carry, but what was his 40 time? Like a 4.6+? Love the guy, but he’s not taking it to the house from our own 20. 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott knows as well as any coach that the key to shutting down an offense is to limit their big plays..................and yet he has employed offenses for 3 years that can do nothing more than small-play their way down the field.    

It's almost disingenuine when he laments things like "lack of execution".    It's just not reasonable to think you are going to dink and dunk your way to consistently good offense and it's always going to look like a lack of execution when you don't.    

And for chrissakes he inherited an offense that had lead the entire NFL in big plays the two prior years.   They were actually doing something right.    And it was a simple system that emphasized getting their play makers vertical.      

It should never have come to this but it's gotta' be priority #1 going into year 4 to add MULTIPLE big play talents. 

• Like (+1) 3