Running Backs A Dime a Dozen & Is It a Passing League ?

T master

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I agree except for the part asking Allen to do a lot less. He needs to do more, at least do what he's doing now, but better.

Sure.

He definitely needs to become a lot more efficient.

A QB Rating of 85 isn't anywhere close to good enough. 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, KD in CA said:

Yeah, I thought the Titans got too fancy on offense yesterday too.  They hit some good passes early b/c KC was keying on Henry but that seemed to pull them away from the strategy of feeding him.  

He got the ball 16 times in the first half for 63 yards.  13 was on one play, so he gained 50 yards on the other 15 runs and never came close to breaking one.  They ran 54 total plays in the game.  Once you fall behind by multiple scores in the second half, grinding out 3-4 yards per play doesn’t make much sense.  Couple that with the fact that KC had just marched down the field on a 13 play drive that ran out the entire second half of the third quarter and spilled into the fourth.  That drive, KC only faced two third downs, and they were 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2.

When the heavily favored opponent is moving the ball at will on offense, bottling up the run on defense, and protecting a two score lead in the fourth quarter, you don’t have the luxury of playing three yards and a cloud of dust football as the clock ticks down on your season.  That’s the thing about passing teams versus running teams.  Both work when things go according to script.  Passing teams can keep passing when they fall behind.  Running teams can’t.

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

He got the ball 16 times in the first half for 63 yards.  13 was on one play, so he gained 50 yards on the other 15 runs and never came close to breaking one.  They ran 54 total plays in the game.  Once you fall behind by multiple scores in the second half, grinding out 3-4 yards per play doesn’t make much sense.  Couple that with the fact that KC had just marched down the field on a 13 play drive that ran out the entire second half of the third quarter and spilled into the fourth.  That drive, KC only faced two third downs, and they were 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2.

When the heavily favored opponent is moving the ball at will on offense, bottling up the run on defense, and protecting a two score lead in the fourth quarter, you don’t have the luxury of playing three yards and a cloud of dust football as the clock ticks down on your season.  That’s the thing about passing teams versus running teams.  Both work when things go according to script.  Passing teams can keep passing when they fall behind.  Running teams can’t.

Gotta disagree on second half strategy. The Titans panicked after going down 28-17 and threw the ball three straight downs. Punted the ball back to KC and then the game was over. You keep running Henry. The second half is when he breaks one for a big gain. He wears down teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Having an elite QB/Great passing game is what guarantees you long term success in this league. You can ride a great defense and running game for a few years, but eventually if you don’t have the QB the team will fall apart. 

Big Ben is a great example of the ideal formula. He was carried early by defense and running game. During his prime years he overcame a shoddy defense, and now at the end of his career the Steelers have put together a championship defense to help him. 

39 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Gotta disagree on second half strategy. The Titans panicked after going down 28-17 and threw the ball three straight downs. Punted the ball back to KC and then the game was over. You keep running Henry. The second half is when he breaks one for a big gain. He wears down teams. 

His 6 runs prior to that drive went for 1, 0, 3, 4, 0, and 0.  He wasn’t wearing anyone down.  He was getting his ass handed to him.  The KC defense was rested after their offense had been on the field for over 20 minutes of actual time on the previous scoring drive.

How many times are you going to run into a wall down 2 scores in the fourth quarter trying to grind out a drive?  Keep in mind that the last 5 KC drives went for 74 yards, 63 yards, 86 yards, 37 yards, and 73 yards.  They were bringing a knife to a gun fight, and people are complaining that they didn’t use a sharp enough knife.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Passing league, running league, blah blah blah, it’s both.  The deal is this, You have to win at line of scrimmage with both O & D lines.  When the O line dominates the run/pass game works, when the D line dominates, the defensive scheme works, when these two things happen you win the game the vast majority of the time. It’s the core of your team. 

Fix the right tackle situation, get an edge rusher, and a WR or two after that get a RB.

Jmo...

Go Bills!!!

It took three pages to get the correct answer. San Frans backs are nothing special, but the o and d line personnel are. We need to upgrade our weapons, but the biggest thing we can do for Josh and the team is fix the o line and improve the d line. With out that we are just spinning our wheels...

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:12 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Running the ball and controlling the clock and line of scrimmage HAS ALWAYS BEEN KEY in the playoffs... Most teams aren't airing it out 40 times a game in January

This is nothing new and teams that win the LoS usually win the game

Between 2014 and 2019, the Patriots played in 12 playoff games. Brady threw 50+ passes 4 times, 40+ passes 9 times, and never below 35 passes.  Over that timespan, Patriots won 3 SBs, played in 4 SBs, and played in 5 AFC championship games. They have been the gold standard postseason team for a very long time. 

Edited by dave mcbride

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as archaic as it sounds, "building from the ball out" still works.....Niners O Line is stout....and I believe Lynch has 3 or 4 1st rounders on the DL which makes a huge difference for their DB's.....LB's as well........

The Niners OL is interesting.  Two 1st round OTs bookending a former bust and two guys who were UFAs.  But they all fit their system really well.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Between 2014 and 2019, the Patriots played in 12 playoff games. Brady threw 50+ passes 4 times, 40+ passes 9 times, and never below 35 passes.  Over that timespan, Patriots won 3 SBs, played in 4 SBs, and played in 5 AFC championship games. They have been the gold standard postseason team for a very long time. 

Most teams aren't Tom Brady... The person half the football world refers to as greatest of all time ...

On 1/20/2020 at 11:10 AM, jrober38 said:

The Bills have all the pieces in place to replicate what San Fran is doing.

With a stronger commitment to running the ball, and a continued effort to keep the defense as one of the best in the NFL the Bills could be an elite football team next year.

I think they need to ask Allen to do a lot less, run the ball more with their backs, and continue to upgrade both lines. 

No they don't.  The Bills defensive line doesn't create that kind of pressure consistently and their o-line certainly isn't as good.  We'd also need 2 more above average RBs to be able to replicate what the Niners do.  Jimmy G is also a better passer than Allen.  

Take the NO game, for example.  I do not believe that Allen can go blow for blow like that with Drew Brees.  Don't let San Fran fool you.  They can put up points slinging the ball around as well.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:16 AM, T master said:

What ever "expert" goes around saying that RB's are a dime a dozen & that the NFL is a passing league had their so called "Expert analysis" put to the test these games in these play offs ! 

They all say it & every year around this time  (we will probably see it in the SB the team) the team that wins has the better running game of the 2 teams playing & the old adage that defense wins championships still stands true ! Heck if you want to you can take it all the way back to our beloved Bills 4 SB games, the Bills had one of the most high powered offenses of that time if not the most high powered O in the league & good D & a running game derailed them .

Yesterday & leading up to the games we saw yesterday it was shown that a good running back with good field vision & good defense can dominate a game ! Jimmy G only threw 8 times in that game & i for one believe if the Titans would have stuck with their running game a bit more & not given up on it they too would have had a closer out come at the end of the game but when they got down they panicked like most do & completely abandoned their game plan that got them to where they were .

Cudo's to Shannahan for recognizing what was working & riding that horse all the way to victory . I think because the 9 ers have a stronger running game & a better D than the Cheif's they will come out on top at the big game & the so called experts will once again be proven wrong that it is not just a passing league & you need more than that to be a complete team or a championship team ! 

Even Mahomes had more success when he him self started running the ball because the Titans at times had his passing game shut down to where he had to take off & he did which wound up giving them a few more plays to draw from to help them win that game ! 

If we look back at the past SB champs each had a good running game the past 2 Pats wins & the Eagles had a good running game & the 2 teams shared a running back in 2 different wins when Lagarrett Blount played for each team that won their respective SB's .

So as it is with the "Experts" saying one thing & it turning out to be another, once again they seem to know as much as we the fans do, sure they watch more football than we do & have more access to tape & such but their analysis is like ours over all just a bit more informed guess at what it takes to win in the NFL !! Sure a good passing game is exciting but you need it all to win when it counts most !! 

But look at the final 4 teams RB's. I would argue maybe they are a dime a dozen. Outside of Henry you could have had any of these guys on your roster if you wanted them. 

SF - Mostert barely made it in the league

KC - Damien Williams another marginal league player

GB - Aaron Jones, 5th round pick, no superstar

TEN - Henry, 2nd round pick, did not reach star status until this year

19 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

No they don't.  The Bills defensive line doesn't create that kind of pressure consistently and their o-line certainly isn't as good.  We'd also need 2 more above average RBs to be able to replicate what the Niners do.  Jimmy G is also a better passer than Allen.  

Take the NO game, for example.  I do not believe that Allen can go blow for blow like that with Drew Brees.  Don't let San Fran fool you.  They can put up points slinging the ball around as well.

True.

I guess I was projecting I think we could have all the pieces after this offseason. I think we're close, but they're clearly better at QB, OL and TE. 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, blacklabel said:

It ebbs and flows each season as teams catch up to the current trends. For what it's worth, out of the top ten rushing teams this season, seven of them went to the playoffs. Niners just made the Super Bowl after throwing it a whopping eight times in the NFC Championship game. I guess that shows you that you don't need a QB to throw for 350 yards a game. Same as it's always been, a balanced attack. A strong run game that opens up your passing attack with play action. There are only so many concepts and plays to run.

In case anyone was wondering, here are the top ten rushing teams for 2019...

Rank - Team - Rushing Total

1. Ravens - 3296

2. 49ers - 2305

3. Titans - 2223

4. Seahawks - 2200

5. Cowboys - 2153

6. Vikings - 2133

7. Colts - 2130

8. Bills - 2054

9. Texans - 2009

10. Cardinals - 1990

Yep. Seven of those ten were playoff teams. I think the important lesson is to have an effective offense whether it be passing or running or both.

Edited by MJS

You play to your strengths. If you RB and OL are better than the rest, you take advantage of that. I don't care if the other team gets pass happy or not. Our running game was better than our passing game in 2019, but we didn't really take advantage of that and it cost us a couple wins, IMO.

For the record, I look at QB scrambling yards as part of the passing offense rather than rushing offense.

Edited by GreggTX

On 1/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, MJS said:

Yep. Seven of those ten were playoff teams. I think the important lesson is to have an effective offense whether it be passing or running or both.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, blacklabel said:

It ebbs and flows each season as teams catch up to the current trends. For what it's worth, out of the top ten rushing teams this season, seven of them went to the playoffs. Niners just made the Super Bowl after throwing it a whopping eight times in the NFC Championship game. I guess that shows you that you don't need a QB to throw for 350 yards a game. Same as it's always been, a balanced attack. A strong run game that opens up your passing attack with play action. There are only so many concepts and plays to run.

In case anyone was wondering, here are the top ten rushing teams for 2019...

Rank - Team - Rushing Total

1. Ravens - 3296

2. 49ers - 2305

3. Titans - 2223

4. Seahawks - 2200

5. Cowboys - 2153

6. Vikings - 2133

7. Colts - 2130

8. Bills - 2054

9. Texans - 2009

10. Cardinals - 1990

Notable is how many of those teams have mobile or running QB's - BALT, SEA, DAL, BUF, HOU, AZ, IND. You just need to be able to produce - whether it be passing, QB run, traditional run, etc. The more balanced you can be the the less one dimensional and harder to gameplan. Look at the 49ers - they could beat you running or throwing the ball. They dominated some teams or had teams not be able to stop the run so why even try to stop. But if needed they also had 4 300+ yard passing games. BALT on the other hand is not in that same bucket. They beat you with the run and QB run. You stop that and I dont think they can win with a pure passing game. Its about keeping you off balance and LJ making plays as an athlete. 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:12 AM, njbuff said:

First, the Bills need to resolve the RT situation that has been killing them for years.

It killed them against Houston in the playoffs.

A simple move of Ford to LG and making Conklin or D.Williams a HIGH priority in FA is all that is needed.

Amen

20 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills finished 8th in team rushing.

Crazy part is we all thought they could have been part.

Imagine if it became a real team strength?

Been part? What does that mean?