Bills Press and Fans...It’s Time to Move On With Pat Mahomes

3 hours ago, teef said:

there's admitting and moving on.  to say the bills are running from anything is a bit much.  dwelling on something that you can't fix is wildly unproductive.  the words cowardly and weak are nothing more than hot words you threw in to create drama.  

As I recall you posted a story on here about how you got fired from your job and you were very traumatized about it.

You obviously made a mistake to get to that point........whether it was something you did or just trusting someone you shouldn't have trusted etc..

Did you take no motivation from that traumatic experience?   That didn't seem to be the tenor of the tale.   Seemed like an important moment in your life.

The kind of thing successful people reach back for when looking for a little extra motivation.

Are athletes who are passed over on draft day and then use that as motivation "dwelling" on that??

I am all about not worrying about lost money.......the more you chase that the more that goes out the door..........but learning from those mistakes and finding motivation in failure is another matter.    

And who are you to say the Bills can't "fix" the Mahomes mistake?  Winning fixes everything Teef.   Basic tenet of sports.

We wouldn’t have taken Mahomes at 10 even if we stayed there. Listen...he was a reach at 10 at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. I think if we stayed it might have been Watson, but I highly doubt the Bills would have reached for Mahomes. Just stop complaining. Geez. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

What keeps getting lost in all of this is that if the Bills had stayed put at 10, they reportedly would not have drafted Mahomes anyway. They were prepared to take Lattimore there and had a provisional trade in place with the Chiefs that was finally cemented when the Chiefs agreed to throw in the 2017 3rd rounder in addition to the 2017 and 2018 1st rounders.

Exactly. I’m convinced Mahomes never would have been a Bill had we stayed put. He was a reach at 10 at the time. The Chiefs look brilliant now, but at the time people were shocked they took Mahomes there. 

I think it’s true that people need to move on from the fact we didn’t draft Mahomes, I also think it’s equally true that people need to move on from being annoyed when media/fans point out we didn’t take him. It’s an easy storyline, and I couldn’t care less how long people continue to point it out. It doesn’t really bother me, let Josh win some hardware, and no one will be discussing any of this. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

Looking back at 2018 draft it sucked watching the Jets make that trade with the Colts to get the #3 pick. Allen improved from his rookie year and we need him to improve even more next year but I was hoping at the time that the Bills could have gotten Darnold. If the Jets can build a team around him then I think he will be the best of the QB's from that draft.

I guess this depends on how you look at things.  Since the available evidence has convinced me that Allen will be a better QB then Darnold it was awesome that we didn't waste draft picks to move up to #3 and take Darnold.

2 hours ago, BBills88 said:

This topic is so tiresome. 

Nobody had a crystal ball to know that Patrick Mahomes was going to be this good. 

In fact most gurus didn't even have him as high a 3 rd rounder if you go and look back. ( He came from a Air Raid System which dosent Translate in the NFL they said.)

If anybody should be kicking themselves it should be the "the Top 5 teams". I'm sure they wish they could do a do over for 2017 draft. 

BIlls fans and Press need to get over it as there were 9 other teams that pick ahead of us and missed.

image.png.6fe03a03e9e212e0019f66d25f328035.png

This is a great point.  And for the record, Cincinnati's pick John Ross at #9 has been a world class BUST!  Had they taken Mahomes instead they wouldn't need to be drafting Burrow at #1 this year.

And we all know that Mahomes would have been a superstar with the Bengals just like he would have been with the Bills and is with the Chiefs. 

As an aside, do you think Jacksonville wishes they had taken McCaffrey over Fournette?

Edited by CincyBillsFan

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Looking back at 2018 draft it sucked watching the Jets make that trade with the Colts to get the #3 pick. Allen improved from his rookie year and we need him to improve even more next year but I was hoping at the time that the Bills could have gotten Darnold. If the Jets can build a team around him then I think he will be the best of the QB's from that draft.

How do you know we wouldn’t have taken Allen at 2 or 3 if we could have traded up that far?  You don’t. Allen may have been their guy all along. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Sure.

But you can see why teams like Tennessee, San Fran, San Diego, Carolina, and even Jacksonville at the time passes.... there isn't much of an excuse for Cleveland, NYJ, Cinci, and Buffalo though who were riding the backs of established mediocre or worse QBs. 

The excuse for Buffalo was that the organization wasn't ready to take their franchise QB in 2017.  Brand new coach, a GM hanging on by his finger nails and a relatively new owner. 

And I suspect that Tyrod's very low turnover rate appealed to a defensive minded coach like McD.  I bet that the thinking was along the lines of "lets see how we do with Tyrod if we go into 2017 with a much better defense".

And do you think Jacksonville is kicking themselves for taking Fournette over McCaffrey?  What was their excuse?  They were in the market for a RB and still took the wrong one.  The NFL draft is one big crap shoot.

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Mahomes has been drafted by Buffalo he would probably be on a similar trajectory we see from Josh now. We can debate if Daboll is the answer at OC all day, but we can’t debate if Daboll is as good as Reid. 

Mahomes is a generational once in a lifetime QB

Allen is a project QB that is miles behind in terms of development. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, teef said:

i think he's certainly better off in kc than buffalo, but buffalo would have had a better qb situation had he been drafted.  that being said, i'm a josh fan and want/expect him to be the guy.  

We'll find out for certain next season when the Bills play KC.