Bills Press and Fans...It’s Time to Move On With Pat Mahomes

9 minutes ago, Sandhill Mike said:

Ultimately, I think it's up to Josh Allen to make Bills fans get over it.  Until we have a QB that can win games with his arm, many will see Mahomes as the one that got away... he's going to be a playoff factor for a long time to come.

Again, I don’t think it’s as simple as you make it out to be.  There were a lot that went into the decision in 2017.  It’s not like the Bills we’re drafting a QB and chose someone else 

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Point taken....thank you

BTW, my last line was not meant to be harsh, but in re-reading it is something a dick would say and I honestly try not to do that.

I am leaving it up, as I AM apologizing to you right now because of it and my stumble is on me.

PTT...I am sorry dude.  AND YES we should move on from this.

I also corrected "unsincere" to insincere...I can apologize for being a dick but NOT for being a moron!  ?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, rockpile said:

"Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - this is your off season mantra. Breathe in expanding the diaphragm, exhale slowly through your nose. 

We should kept Lamonica and got rid of Kemp. 

Peace - it is the off season - look forward. :beer:

I read a great, old article recently about Marangi having a good game vs. the Fish in '76 after Ferguson got hurt, and when Ferguson came back and was having a bad game, the stadium broke into chants of "We want Marangi! We want Marangi!"

If one more person tries to tell me how smart BIlls fans are...

The good thing about age is you have a better understanding of the things over which you have no control, and are smart enough to put your energy toward things over which you have control.

Peabrains like Sullivan knows most fans don't think this way, and he grabs those fans clickbait by clickbait until he gets the paycheck he somehow thinks he deserves. I'm no fan of people like Sullivan who makes his living off of low-hanging fruit, but there will always be weak writers like Sullivan and weak fans who care less about the team and more about telling everyone the four dumbest words ever to make a sentence: "I told you so."

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Greg S said:

Looking back at 2018 draft it sucked watching the Jets make that trade with the Colts to get the #3 pick. Allen improved from his rookie year and we need him to improve even more next year but I was hoping at the time that the Bills could have gotten Darnold. If the Jets can build a team around him then I think he will be the best of the QB's from that draft.

I was super pissed at Indy for making that trade.  I wanted Darnold too and thought he was the best QB that year

4 minutes ago, Sandhill Mike said:

Ultimately, I think it's up to Josh Allen to make Bills fans get over it.  Until we have a QB that can win games with his arm, many will see Mahomes as the one that got away... he's going to be a playoff factor for a long time to come.

The kid got you 10 wins and a playoff spot in his second year with both his arm and legs.   His best weapons were John Brown, Cole Beasley, and a rookie RB.  Mahomes has the fastest WR in the game, the best TE in the the game, a good RB,  other WR options, and one of the better Olines.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, my last line was not meant to be harsh, but in re-reading it is something a dick would say an I honestly try not to do that.

I am leaving it up, as I AM apologizing to you right now because of it and my stumble is on me.

PTT...I am sorry dude.  AND YES would should move on from this.

I also correct "unsincere" to insincere...I can apologize for being a dick but NOT for being a moron!  ?

No I know what you meant and I understand.  I don’t blame you because I wanted Darnold in 2018 before the Jets traded up. I don’t take offense to anything and sorry if my response was too sarcastic.  I’ve just been reading a LOT of tweets on this topic over the past 24 hours

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Said this long, LONG ago.

l1v7vxl3kayl.gif.e22a37ae3b8e4641be59f01a871ca6fa.gif

That’s what I’m saying.  Any time he does something good it keeps coming up 

• Like (+1) 1

I still don’t want to hear the argument. 
Mahomes is good. Mahomes might be great. 
Im still never going to be sold until either Andy Reid retires, or they lose some playmakers. It’s easy to say he’s so great when his setup is amazing. Credit to him and where it’s due he has performed when called upon. But come on, Andy Reid has always made his quarterbacks look amazing, his scheme is always designed to utilize his playmakers. Line up Hill, Watkins and Hardmon in trips on one side, Kelce on his own on the other side, everyone runs crossing routes and the receivers try to set picks (in a smart way not actually touching defenders just re routing them) to get Kelce open. Who is covering that? You got 4 seconds to hit Mahomes or someone is going to be wide open everytime. 
Mahomes would of done well here, but he’s not throwing 5000 yards and 50tds good here. The sting is that for two years he’s been better than Allen. That’s credit to Reid and Mahomes. Allen might never give us stats like Mahomes has put up, but it’s been two years and there’s a lot of football left to play. 
I would never be sold on him being a generational talent after two seasons with healthy weapons. Let me see a season with Kelce on IR and if he still is unstoppable I will gladly eat my crow pie. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

But was it fair for McDermott to be in that position in the first place?  Don’t you feel that The Pegulas should have hired a General Manager in January 2017 and not kept a lame duck GM that he couldn’t trust?  

McDermott is not an offensive coach.  I don’t blame him for not wanting to make the unilateral decision to select a QB without the benefit of having a scoring staff/GM that he trusted.

I think the defining moment for McDermott has been making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and lying a good foundation...but that’s me

Yes.  We all knew who was running that draft and that Whaley was dead man walking. McDermott clearly wanted the Bills to hire "his" GM, which is what happened.

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I read a great, old article recently about Marangi having a good game vs. the Fish in '76 after Ferguson got hurt, and when Ferguson came back and was having a bad game, the stadium broke into chants of "We want Marangi! We want Marangi!"

If one more person tries to tell me how smart BIlls fans are...

The good thing about age is you have a better understanding of the things over which you have no control, and are smart enough to put your energy toward things over which you have control.

Peabrains like Sullivan knows most fans don't think this way, and he grabs those fans clickbait by clickbait until he gets the paycheck he somehow thinks he deserves. I'm no fan of people like Sullivan who makes his living off of low-hanging fruit, but there will always be weak writers like Sullivan and weak fans who care less about the team and more about telling everyone the four dumbest words ever to make a sentence: "I told you so."

Spot on.  This is the role of the traditional sports columnist.  You either rip the home team or you rip the opponents of the home team.  Either way, you elicit a reactions from fans who are glued to your every word.  I get the impression though, that Sully is just a negative guy, in general 

It's Jerry Sullivan's holy grail. He needs a flaw in McBeane's armor to pick at. Without a negative story the guy is lost. You should have heard his radio show when the Bills were 3-0. He sounded like he lost the will to live.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Spot on.  This is the role of the traditional sports columnist.  You either rip the home team or you rip the opponents of the home team.  Either way, you elicit a reactions from fans who are glued to your every word.  I get the impression though, that Sully is just a negative guy, in general 

Jerry Sullivan hydrates his body with the whiny tears of every Bills fan he whips into a frenzy. Timmah Graham uses is to shampoo his hair.

True stories.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Yes.  We all knew who was running that draft and that Whaley was dead man walking. McDermott clearly wanted the Bills to hire "his" GM, which is what happened.

Right, but why didn’t he hire “his GM” in January?  It’s been reported that Terry was hoping things would work with Doug.  He was hoping McDermott and Whaley would work.  This was a huge mistake IMO, because even if he wanted a QB, he didn’t have anyone he could trust to make that decision

This was more of a result of TO in the front office that it was about McDermott making the pick:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/5/4/16045442/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Again, I don’t think it’s as simple as you make it out to be.  There were a lot that went into the decision in 2017.  It’s not like the Bills we’re drafting a QB and chose someone else 

Don't get me wrong... I'm not here saying Boo Bills for not drafting the kid.  I was not clamoring for the team to take Mahomes back then and I'm definitely not saying the Bills should have known better.

To some fans, the context of the trades and where the teams were then doesn't matter... the Chiefs have a great QB and we have a project QB.  It's a jealousy thing, pure and simple.  I think that the only cure for that jealousy is winning and seeing consistently good/great QB play in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup.....plenty of pre-draft posts here about Mahomes being from the leper like "Air Raid" offense and how "an Air Raid QB NEVER makes it in the NFL".....any mea culpas forthcoming from them now that they're on the "see I told you we blew the Mahomes pick" bandwagon ???......will hang up and wait.....and wait....and...

i remember a number of people thinking mahomes would be an extremely risky pick.  most wanted to stay away from him.

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We should never have traded Darryl Lamonica.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Frankly, I'm still not over it?

First, let me help you both get over this one. When the USFL was folding  it was widely rumored that Kelly would end up in Oakland Los Angeles. When asked about that possibility, Al Davis responded there was no way it would happen, Ralph still hadn't forgiven him for Darryl Lamonica. So, Kelly may never have ended up a Bill had it not been for this trade.

2 thoughts on the original topic

1) At least we've finally moved on from passing on Brady 5 times

2) 9 other teams passed on Mahomes as well. How do you think they feel in Chicago, trading up to draft Trubisky?

Edited by Steve O
Raiders had moved to LA
  • Like (+1) 1