Bills Press and Fans...It’s Time to Move On With Pat Mahomes

It stings because we were the team that traded with KC for them to select him.

It stings because not only we passed on him, we passed on Watson too.

It stings because we took a QB (over Mahomes and Watson) who had a ton of flaws in college that is showing again now.

Make no mistake, it sucks. There’s no sugar coating it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Come on. Anybody here knows that there is a large number of posters who repeatedly bring this “issue“ up. The OP is correct. It is not just the press.

personally, I find these posts tiresome and whiny. So many living in a nonexistent past. You would think that we were the only team that passed on him.

on the other hand, if it’s any posters right and privilege to continue to talk about this. I would propose an ongoing thread for those posters who just can’t let go of this. But no such posts in any other threads. Just my opinion

Reputedly, the famous Comanche chief Quanah Parker was once told to maintain his position, he had to choose one of his 8 wives and tell the others to leave.  Reputedly, he looked the speaker in the eye and responded "You Tell 'Em"

One of the reasons mods do fight for titles that represent the content of a thread is so that people who find a particular thread whiny or tiresome can "See and Avoid"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Mahomes has been drafted by Buffalo he would probably be on a similar trajectory we see from Josh now. We can debate is Daboll is the answer at OC all day, but we can’t debate if Daboll is as good as Reid. 

This is important as well.  I don’t think he’d have the luxury to sit an entire year and learn behind a pretty good mentor QB.  He also had great coaching in Reid, Nagy and Bienemy, a solid OL and All-Pro weapons like Kelce and Hill.  

I don’t think you can overlook this either 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, teef said:

it's been time to move on for a while.  it would be way more fun to have him on this team, but it's not longer an option, so move on.  i wonder if chicago fans have this much trouble with it.  

...yup.....plenty of pre-draft posts here about Mahomes being from the leper like "Air Raid" offense and how "an Air Raid QB NEVER makes it in the NFL".....any mea culpas forthcoming from them now that they're on the "see I told you we blew the Mahomes pick" bandwagon ???......will hang up and wait.....and wait....and...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, McBean said:

It stings because we took a QB (over Mahomes and Watson) who had a ton of flaws in college that is showing again now.

See what I mean - this guy is crying.  “WAAAAAAA IT STINGS!  IT STINGS!”?????

Read the circumstances that went into the decision 

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t think anyone can disagree, but some fans need to realize the factors that went into the decision (which I outlined) and the fact the in 2017 drafting Mahomes isn’t the no-brained that it is in 2020

agreed. I wanted Watson, didn’t know enough about Mahomes, and was ok with putting it off another year since the QB class was supposed to be better. But you can’t argue with the results or lack thereof. 

Now, what that means to you as a fan can be different but some won’t even admit that much. 

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Oh please, Mahomes was every bit as flawed as any other QB coming out.

This argument is dumb and it’s over.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup.....plenty of pre-draft posts here about Mahomes being from the leper like "Air Raid" offense and how "an Air Raid QB NEVER makes it in the NFL".....any mea culpas forthcoming from them now that they're on the "see I told you we blew the Mahomes pick" bandwagon ???......will hang up and wait.....and wait....and...

Yep, the crux of that argument is 100% based in hindsight. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

We took our QB Allen, over Rosen and Jackson.

We chose not to draft a QB in 2017, period.

Saying we drafted a QB in 2018 over a QB who wasn't available in 2018 is a peculiar way of viewing it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not taking Mahomes was  a defining moment for McDermott. 

Trading all of the assets that we did to move up and then taking Allen was a defining moment for McDermott and Beane.

We have all seen how the first decision worked out . . . we shall see about the rest.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

"Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - this is your off season mantra, fellow fans. Breathe in expanding the diaphragm, exhale slowly through your nose. 

We shoulda kept Lamonica and got rid of Kemp. 

Peace - it is the off season - learn from the past, but look forward. 

How many fans said we picked the wrong Josh, but Josh Rosen tanked in AZ, and became backup to Fitz and the Fish.

:beer:

Edited by rockpile
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, but I didn't start a post on anything, just responding to yours...rather, teef's.  

Crying would be bitching about it.  I have been behind Josh since day 1...I just wish they had chosen Mahomes.

Ok then move on and stop saying things “oh, it’s so hard.” It makes it sound you are crying 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Reputedly, the famous Comanche chief Quanah Parker was once told to maintain his position, he had to choose one of his 8 wives and tell the others to leave.  Reputedly, he looked the speaker in the eye and responded "You Tell 'Em"

One of the reasons mods do fight for titles that represent the content of a thread is so that people who find a particular thread whiny or tiresome can "See and Avoid"

I understand what you’re saying and don’t disagree. However, I believe most if not all posters get the gist of what the OP was talking about. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Not taking Mahomes was  a defining moment for McDermott. 

Trading all of the assets that we did to move up and then taking Allen was a defining moment for McDermott and Beane.

We have all seen how the first decision worked out . . . we shall see about the rest.

But was it fair for McDermott to be in that position in the first place?  Don’t you feel that The Pegulas should have hired a General Manager in January 2017 and not kept a lame duck GM that he couldn’t trust?  

McDermott is not an offensive coach.  I don’t blame him for not wanting to make the unilateral decision to select a QB without the benefit of having a scoring staff/GM that he trusted.

I think the defining moment for McDermott has been making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and lying a good foundation...but that’s me

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Ok then move on and stop saying things “oh, it’s so hard.” It makes it sound you are crying 

I dig that and i gave you a beer for it.

...but no. I'll still route for Josh and I have really never brought this up other than in guys making posts about it.

...I wasn't saying anything...you can check (don't waste your time, that I silly, but truthfully you are not going to see much at all).

YOU started a whole thread about this, I didn't.  I don't bring it up.  That probably is the best way to handle it.

My insincere apologies for not going lock step with you on your opinion.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I dig that and i gave you a beer for it.

...but no. I'll still route for Josh and I have really never brought this up other than in guys making posts about it.

...I wasn't saying anything...you can check (don't waste your time, that I silly, but truthfully you are not going to see much at all).

YOU started a whole thread about this, I didn't.  I don't bring it up.  That probably is the best way to handle it.

My un-sincere apologies for not going lock step with you on your opinion.

Point taken....thank you

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I just like to know what intel the Chiefs had that we didn't. They were willing to go after him and it was a masterstroke landing him. But what about the other teams ahead of us? Chicago took Trubisky ahead of Mahomes. A whole bunch of other teams with mediocre to bad Qbs passed over Mahomes. I think the Bills did what most NFL teams do on a regular basis, completely overlook diamonds in the rough.  Whalley got fired 2 days after the draft so was the choice to trade the pick entirely on McD? If so he is the one who is clueless but the Pegulas should have hired a new GM much earlier with a vision of what was needed in the draft. The entire time period after immediately after Rex's firing seems to have been a total debacle. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We took our QB Allen, over Rosen and Jackson.

We chose not to draft a QB in 2017, period.

Saying we drafted a QB in 2018 over a QB who wasn't available in 2018 is a peculiar way of viewing it.

Looking back at 2018 draft it sucked watching the Jets make that trade with the Colts to get the #3 pick. Allen improved from his rookie year and we need him to improve even more next year but I was hoping at the time that the Bills could have gotten Darnold. If the Jets can build a team around him then I think he will be the best of the QB's from that draft.

• Haha (+1) 1