Tom Brady’s (former) backup is playing in the Super Bowl, thoughts

Don Otreply

7 hours ago, arcane said:

I haven't seen Stidham play since college but in college his release was somewhere between Kaep and Tebow on the awfulness scale. It's like he's pulling the ball out of a holster on his hip rather than throwing from his ear like you're supposed to. Strip sack city 

See: Phil Rivers.

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

What did he throw yesterday about 12 passes. Both KC and SF looked real good yesterday. Usually I have a good idea (at least I think I do) on who wins the Super Bowl. This one coming up is so evenly matched its hard to pick a winner. The early line that I saw was KC -1. I hope KC wins though for Reid.

just looked this up as i couldn't believe it true. yep the Chiefs are 1.5 point favorites. no way. i would have thought the '9ers were at least 7/8 point favorites. i might have to look my bookie up.

Glad they traded him.  Don't care who, what, where... just glad he is gone.  I don't think Jimmy is elite.  I think he is probably very good but maybe like a slightly better version of Alex Smith, who I view as the ultimate game manager.  I think in NE he wouldn't shatter the world like Brady, but they would have been another decade of a force to contend with.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Glad they traded him.  Don't care who, what, where... just glad he is gone.  I don't think Jimmy is elite.  I think he is probably very good but maybe like a slightly better version of Alex Smith, who I view as the ultimate game manager.  I think in NE he wouldn't shatter the world like Brady, but they would have been another decade of a force to contend with.

...perhaps....he's in the perfect situation so far...BUT...what the hell is Belichick waiting for?......I obviously missed the "wait memo".....

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy G. Belichick knew Brady was in decline and he is. Belichick knew Jimmy G was someone he could win with. Belichick knows he can’t win a SB with Brady anymore. If he thought he could Brady wouldn’t be a FA.

Jimmy G wasn't gonna take this pats team to a Super Bowl. Brady, on the other hand would have taken this SF team to the Super Bowl.

Garoppolo has quietly had a very good year throwing the ball.

4th in comp. %,  3rd in yds/att,  5th in passing tds,  7th in td %

8th in passer rating (102.3),  tied for first in 4th qtr comebacks, tied for 4th in game winning drives, 12th in yds passing. Definitely well above avg throwing the ball statistically. 

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Jimmy G wasn't gonna take this pats team to a Super Bowl. Brady, on the other hand would have taken this SF team to the Super Bowl.

Brady was avg to below avg in basically every statistical category as a passer. He looked like a shell of himself at times. The only thing he still did well was take care of the ball. His passer rating was tied  for 18th,  his comp % 27th,  yds/att 28th, passing tds 13th,  td%  25th. This is among 32 qualified starters. He was not very good.

Edited by Turk71

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Brady was avg to below avg in basically every statistical category as a passer. He looked like a shell of himself at times. The only thing he still did well was take care of the ball. His passer rating was tied  for 18th,  his comp % 27th,  yds/att 28th, passing tds 13th,  td%  25th. This is among 32 qualified starters. He was not very good.

Do you think JG would have taken this NE team to a SB? You kinda left that part out.

Edited by Dopey

Just now, Dopey said:

Do you think JG would have taken this NE team to a SB? You kinda left that part out.

I think he was a more accurate and efficient passer than Brady this year.

I'm not sure if that would have been enough for NE to get there, or if Brady would have been good enough to get SF there. I have no idea.

7 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

If Brady leaves NE, I think he ends up with the Chargers---Calf boy goes home. Rivers has packed up & moved to Fla---seems like he's done with the Chargers.

Rivers was pissed when they went to LA. I would be too. The only reason they would bring in Brady is to try and establish a fan base and fill out a stadium.  The chances of bringing a championship, meh

As most of us said- Krafts love fest for Brady blinded their decision making. Now the cheaters have to find a QB. 

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dude threw what, 8 passes?  I don’t have any thoughts.

Hey they were good passes lol

11 hours ago, StHustle said:

Now let's not act like Jimmy G is the second coming. But he is a very very good game manager who limits mistakes and is a winner.

He is pretty damn accurate 

38 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Patriots made a huge mistake. could have kept Barfalo, traded Brady for 2 number ones and dominated for another 15 years. It a major FU

Total cluster! I have a feeling Brady becomes a Charger and Rivers becomes a Fin and they both crash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dude threw what, 8 passes?  I don’t have any thoughts.

He threw 476 passes in the regular season, around 30 times a game. The only reason they haven't thrown much lately is because they haven't had to. His comp %,  yds/att,  and td% are all higher than Mahomes.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, papazoid said:

all sides won

belichick recognized talent and made a substantial offer

brady said i'm not done being great and went to kraft to scuttle BB's plan

kraft kept the gang together for 2 more lombardi's

Yeah, I don't really get the OP's point. I think the Pats came out of it pretty well. Gee, they developed 2 guys capable of winning lots of games, and had to let one go. What losers.

Let's see how the Pats do next season before gloating about any of this.

Edited by 32ABBA

10 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

All joking aside, Patriots made a mistake moving him. He would’ve been a perfect guy to make the transition from Brady. 

They went on to two more Superbowls and won one of them. We can only  sit here and dream of mistakes like that.