Double down on defense and O-line

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think this is the offseason where McDermott re-builds the defensive line room. It's a position that has been left relatively untouched aside from the Murphy signing. I could see Murphy and Lawson both gone and replaced. 

Don't forget Ed Oliver.  

I also think the D-line will be addressed.  They will try and re-sign Shaq; I suspect Phillips will be gone since he thinks he's getting $14M or $17M per year.  Shaq is more of a priority and I think his deal gets done.  A stud DE/edge will replace Murphy, as well as a true 1-tech DT is brought in to help with stopping the run.  IMO, we don't have a true 1-tech right now and that has been a problem; hopefully McD and Beane see this.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Don't forget Ed Oliver.  

I also think the D-line will be addressed.  They will try and re-sign Shaq; I suspect Phillips will be gone since he thinks he's getting $14M or $17M per year.  Shaq is more of a priority and I think his deal gets done.  A stud DE/edge will replace Murphy, as well as a true 1-tech DT is brought in to help with stopping the run.  IMO, we don't have a true 1-tech right now and that has been a problem; hopefully McD and Beane see this.

I agree with your assessment.  I'm worried it will be harder to replace Phillips via the draft than finding a better edge option than Murphy. I like Shaq a lot and hope he comes back. He is a good pro and if he was a starter or primary backup at DE it would be fine with me.

I've posted many times, my priority is a pass rushing OLB. But I'm an old timer now who grew up with Lawrence Taylor, Cornelius Bennett, and Derrick Thomas. Maybe in 2020 it should be a 4-3 DE.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree with your assessment.  I'm worried it will be harder to replace Phillips via the draft than finding a better edge option than Murphy. I like Shaq a lot and hope he comes back. He is a good pro and if he was a starter or primary backup at DE it would be fine with me.

I've posted many times, my priority is a pass rushing OLB. But I'm an old timer now who grew up with Lawrence Taylor, Cornelius Bennett, and Derrick Thomas. Maybe in 2020 it should be a 4-3 DE.

The thing with Jordan Phillips is he is a 3-tech DT who also played 1-tech out of necessity.  With Harrison Phillips coming back, as it stands now, Jordan isn't worth the money he seems to want.  IMO, Harrison is not really built like a 1-tech and probably should slide over to the 3-tech spot, then draft or buy a true 1-tech who is hopefully over 320 lbs and can push the G and C back, as well as occupy two blockers in rush defense; we don't have that right now.

It would be good to get Shaq back, then draft or buy a better DE.  Murphy isn't worth keeping around, IMO, as he was typically ineffective and pushed out of the play by the RT.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Augie said:

A good team would triple down, and skip WR, TE and RB all together. 

I’ll trust them to use our resources wisely. As always, win the LOS and the game gets much more winnable. 

Ta Da ^^^ 

If your lines ain’t good, your team ain’t good... Bueler Bueler, anyone....

On 1/19/2020 at 9:54 PM, Mark Vader said:

Wow, what happened to all the "We need WR's!" talk?

It’s a serious need, for sure. I was kidding about skipping on skill guys. I just feel very strongly about winning the LOS and how that makes everyone else a lot better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Seems a little over the top in terms of the number of FA acquisitions, but the 49ers are setting the template for what constitutes a GREAT defense circa 2020.

With the more intricate offensive schemes we see in the league, getting after the QB is FAR AND AWAY the most important component of a game changing defense. You just can't expect to cover everyone, especially with the number of QB's able to extend plays.

I think the Bills need to add at least one edge. McD is a very solid defensive coach. It's unrealistic to think you're going to accumulate the sheer number of pass rushers the 49er's possess, but the 9'ers success should cause all defensive minded coach's to take note. Gotta add at least one. Seems pretty obvious, but I'm talking about what you prioritize personnel wise. Every defensive position is important and you'd like to have good players at every level. But if you can only choose one unit to be great; choose the DL.

Getting sustained pressure is far and away the best route to making great QB's look average.

The Bills had a very strong defense in 2019, but the lack of a consistent pass rush and dynamic edge players reared it's ugly head a number of times. Even one solid addition could make a huge difference.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Seems a little over the top in terms of the number of FA acquisitions, but the 49ers are setting the template for what constitutes a GREAT defense circa 2020.

With the more intricate offensive schemes we see in the league, getting after the QB is FAR AND AWAY the most important component of a game changing defense. You just can't expect to cover everyone, especially with the number of QB's able to extend plays.

I think the Bills need to add at least one edge. McD is a very solid defensive coach. It's unrealistic to think you're going to accumulate the sheer number of pass rushers the 49er's possess, but the 9'ers success should cause all defensive minded coach's to take note. Gotta add at least one. Seems pretty obvious, but I'm talking about what you prioritize personnel wise. Every defensive position is important and you'd like to have good players at every level. But if you can only choose one unit to be great; choose the DL.

Getting sustained pressure is far and away the best route to making great QB's look average.

The Bills had a very strong defense in 2019, but the lack of a consistent pass rush and dynamic edge players reared it's ugly head a number of times. Even one solid addition could make a huge difference.

This is right on.  You can't cover your way to winning with defense, the offense/WR gets the benefit of the doubt and the DB gets the PI.  The Bills are built toward coverage, not pass rush or run defense.  A great D-line gets you both, which we need since our LB corps are basically big DBs.

• Thank you (+1) 1