Double down on defense and O-line

I’m for this, but the reason the Niners are so successful offensively is because of 1. Shannys running scheme, and 2. Kittle. 

Kittle is the best blocking TE in football, has sure thing hands, and can a run a crisp route. 

The Niners seem to struggle a bit more when they don’t have him at 100%.

In other words, we should try to find our Kittle (please be it Knox) 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We had a top-3 defense this past season.  We have been focused on building D since McDermott and Beane arrived.  If we still need to add FOUR front 7 defenders , fundamentally we don’t have the talent and coaching evaluation to succeed.

In McDermott’s scheme with 4-3, the add I believe would be pass-rushing DE, not OLB.  Yes, if they can’t resign Shaq we need to replace him, and I believe they will look to add a DE in the draft.

Has Ford ever played LG?

We had a top 3 defense in yards, not in performance. We need a defense that can rush the passer. I'm fine with targeting DE as the pass rusher, but I think those guys are harder to find than an OLB that can come off the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

lots of different ways to win. what SF did was just one way. That said, if the Bills were to go your route I wouldn’t mind, mainly because I don’t think Allen is very good (yet.)

JMO, but if we don't invest more in OL, the run game, and receiving targets we're not liable to find out if Allen can be very good or not.

People generally seem to under-estimate the effect having that extra fraction of a second makes to a QB.

I think we saw that today in Aaron Rodgers.

Having a run game that must be respected and having a better OL all around are, IMO, key to being able to develop and evaluate a young passer.

• Like (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’m for this, but the reason the Niners are so successful offensively is because of 1. Shannys running scheme, and 2. Kittle. 

Kittle is the best blocking TE in football, has sure thing hands, and can a run a crisp route. 

The Niners seem to struggle a bit more when they don’t have him at 100%.

In other words, we should try to find our Kittle (please be it Knox) 

Agree with your post.

Trust in Knox.  He is on his way to being a top 5 TE in this league.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We had a top 3 defense in yards, not in performance. We need a defense that can rush the passer. I'm fine with targeting DE as the pass rusher, but I think those guys are harder to find than an OLB that can come off the edge. 

The Bills were pretty good in scoring defense in 2019, not just yardage. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

My apologies, we had a top 2 defense in performance (points against).  Or were you thinking of a different metric for defensive performance?

The point is if you have a top D, you may need to tweek it - I agree, pass rush is a missing piece - you need to replace players who leave for retirement or FA - but you don't toss all your hosses at rebuilding it, especially while you have an offense that's not talented enough to take that top D where it wants to go.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree with your post.

Trust in Knox.  He is on his way to being a top 5 TE in this league.

I would love to see that - I really like Knox.  I would also like to see Tommy Sweeney work out.

But to me, having a quality TE is so important that it's a situation of "Trust God, but Mount your Archers" - are we confident enough Knox will take that step, and take it next season?  Or had we better hedge our bets by looking to sign a quality FA vet?

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We may need to add as many as four to the front seven:  (2) DE/edge if Shaq leaves, (1) if he stays; (1) 1-tech DT, slide Harrison Phillips over to the 3-tech; and possibly (1) OLB if Vosean Joseph isn't the answer, or anyone else on the roster

IMO, this regime is weak on the D-line; they say they want QB sacks and pressure, but they're not investing enough to get that.  Then there is rush defense troubles, which starts with the D-line.

Agree. Hughes is still effective but is on the decline.

I think the Bills should load up on WR’s and TE’s, much like the Chiefs did, and especially before the Bills have to pay Allen over a $100M contract extension. With all the weapons Mahomes has at his disposal, it’s almost impossible for defenses to stop the Chiefs offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nonsense.

They're absolutely a top 3 defense, any way you look at it.

I mean, if you want to say they should really be ranked at #4 or something, then OK, maybe. But they're a terrific defense right here and right now. But that doesn't mean you can just stop working on that side of the ball, of course. The guess would seem to be that they will do more work on offense, though.

But that big 'ol hunk of salary cap money available is just what we need, not to mention that it's evidence of intelligent design.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I think the Bills should load up on WR’s and TE’s, much like the Chiefs did, and especially before the Bills have to pay Allen over a $100M contract extension. With all the weapons Mahomes has at his disposal, it’s almost impossible for defenses to stop the Chiefs offense. 

The Rams had the "unstoppable " offense last year and scored 3 points. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out this year...?  Should be a great game.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

Oh my.   Kidding right? 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-they-re-saying-nfl-analysts-forecast-these-moves-for-the-bills-this-offseas

3. Will the Bills be aggressive during the offseason?

NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal thinks the Bills will have an "aggressive" offseason. Why? Cap space.

Saturday's [Wild Card] loss to the Texans showed the limitations of Buffalo's sound, conservative approach. After a brilliant opening-drive script, the Bills' offense didn't score a touchdown in their ensuing 10 possession against the worst defense to qualify for the postseason. It's hard to win in January without a consistent passing game, and Josh Allen's performance against Houston was typical of his 2019 season: There was a lot more to like than before, but there was still a whole lot of ugly. ...

4. Biggest offseason need for Buffalo Bills

Heading into the draft and free agency, ESPN thinks Buffalo’s biggest need is on offense

Add an offensive playmaker. The Bills struck gold this offseason with the additions of John Brown, Cole Beasley and Devin Singletary. The trio immediately improved a well-below-average offense from 2018. But Buffalo still lacks a home run hitter -- a player who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Such an addition would help quarterback Josh Allen and the Bills' offense, turning Buffalo into a true contender. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

There’s a lot of ways to win in this league. Tennessee could of beaten KC but you can’t exactly expect Tannehill to be a big game quarterback. Once KC got up it was game over. KC has a lethal passing attack, SF has a lethal run game. All about balance between offense and defense and finding the right rhythm at the right time. I’m not a big conspiracy theorist with the refs but they play a big factor in a lot of this. I thought KC was able to get away with some serious holding starting in the second quarter, Mahomes was moving all over and there was some serious holding going on. KC probably still outguns them in the end but it was pretty blatant they were allowing it. You don’t have to have a top notch offense to win, I think SF and Ten showed us that. And having that top notch offense doesn’t always mean success in the playoffs. Bal and the saints showed that as well. 
The Bills should continue building their vision of this team, what they think will be successful. We can debate all day what we want to see and question what they do but they have shown they are not going to mimic others. That’s not a bad thing. So far. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

The NFL has flowed back to a run/pass balanced offense and stopping the run. Good take matey ?

Edited by billsfan_34

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm on board for an elite pass rusher, a solid OLB ans even an upgrade at CB opposite White. The OL is my top priority this offseason, but Conklin is the only possible upgrade and he's only average. I want Spain back too. He's our best G right now, so let's not downgrade the position. I'd like to get an elite RT and that can only happen through a trade or high draft pick and that's risky. As close as we are, maybe Beane gets just a little aggressive, but not wreckless. Shaq is very average too, so I'd only resign him for backup money. He can easily be replaced.

6 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Allen needs to prove that he's worth that kind of money and he's nowhere close to it. Not yet anyways.