Double down on defense and O-line

Defense and run game again wins.

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

I would let Spain walk, move Ford to LG, and sign a veteran RT. 
They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills need to add four front 7 defenders this offseason. The most critical is to get a pass rushing OLB. They also need at least two defensive ends. Shaq would be fine as one of them but if he walks they need to add two more. Lastly another interior DL with the assumption J. Phillips is gone.

They will need to add a running back too. I would address in free agency saving my draft picks for defensive guys and a WR. 

lots of different ways to win. what SF did was just one way. That said, if the Bills were to go your route I wouldn’t mind, mainly because I don’t think Allen is very good (yet.)

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

you could argue two heavily invested in passing games reached the big game just as easy. You know, if you were trying to cherry pick a point.

which is kind of the thing- super bowl teams tend to be good all over. That’s how you get the best record in the regular season, bye and home field etc... 

we can invest like that for a bit. We wasted a year of it here though.

• Like (+1) 1

A good team would triple down, and skip WR, TE and RB all together. 

I’ll trust them to use our resources wisely. As always, win the LOS and the game gets much more winnable. 

OK, kinda kidding on the skipping WR, TE and RB, but DEAD SERIOUS about winning the LOS.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We had a top-3 defense this past season.  We have been focused on building D since McDermott and Beane arrived.  If we still need to add FOUR front 7 defenders , fundamentally we don’t have the talent and coaching evaluation to succeed.

In McDermott’s scheme with 4-3, the add I believe would be pass-rushing DE, not OLB.  Yes, if they can’t resign Shaq we need to replace him, and I believe they will look to add a DE in the draft.

Has Ford ever played LG?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We may need to add as many as four to the front seven:  (2) DE/edge if Shaq leaves, (1) if he stays; (1) 1-tech DT, slide Harrison Phillips over to the 3-tech; and possibly (1) OLB if Vosean Joseph isn't the answer, or anyone else on the roster

IMO, this regime is weak on the D-line; they say they want QB sacks and pressure, but they're not investing enough to get that.  Then there is rush defense troubles, which starts with the D-line.

• Like (+1) 1

SF traded a 2nd rounder (IIRC) for Sanders and drafted another in the 2nd round in 2019.

SF has a pro-bowl TE.

SF has three good RBs that can all start.

SF is good in the trenches.

KC has three RBs that can all start.

KC has a pro-bowl TE.

KC has several playmakers at WR.

KC is good in the trenches.

The formula is clear.  It's nothing new.  Good coaching and a decent QB are table stakes.  After that, it takes a solid team, that is good in the trenches, that has enough playmakers, and that has solid depth.

Dear Bills,

Go Get `Em!

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

Nothing has changed.  Step back from the ledge everyone.  This league is such a copycat league it's kind of crazy.  Everyone is gonna want to replicate what the Niners have done.  Shanahan is the NEW Mcvay.  

It's more about how the 49ers are built, from the lines out.  Not necessarily running more; they ran to expose GB and Pettine's weakness in rush D.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

First of all...I agree with this philosophy MOST of the time

but

There comes a time when you have to allocate the resources to the weapons..we have been sparingly doing that.....the two teams going to the Super Bowl have WEAPONS.....

Deebo Samuel a HUGE part of his teams win

The Chiefs?   Needs I say more?

Our defense is already Super Bowl caliber....literally they are a top 5 D with most of them under contract.   Can you improve upon it?  Sure....pass rush is needed

What about this offense that scores like 14 points a game....our best targets are

- A fast WR that just had his best season....thats great....he is also small

- OUr best TE is a rookie

- Our best RB is amazing bu tlacks speed.....and needs to be platooned with another good back

- Our Offensive line was addressed heavily this past offseason.  Ty and Waddle can be the RT's

- We literally have no size at WR except for Duke who for some reason cant get on the field

- We just addressed DT with Oliver.....Luget was a find....Horrible Harry is coming back.

- WR....TWO of them in a draft that has good ones......a pass rusher.......a quality RB to back up DS......then best available player because their honestly are not a lot of open spots on this team.......resign our own players

Can we get a new ST's coach?

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We may need to add as many as four to the front seven:  (2) DE/edge if Shaq leaves, (1) if he stays; (1) 1-tech DT, slide Harrison Phillips over to the 3-tech; and possibly (1) OLB if Vosean Joseph isn't the answer, or anyone else on the roster

IMO, this regime is weak on the D-line; they say they want QB sacks and pressure, but they're not investing enough to get that.  Then there is rush defense troubles, which starts with the D-line.

There could be 4 additions.

And I would say they have invested. 
Draft:

Harrison Phillips 3rd Round Pick

Ed Oliver 1st Round Pick

Free Agents:

Trent Murphy 

Stat Lotulelei

Extended:

Jerry Hughes

-You could argue that you don’t agree with how they’re investing at D-Line, but they’re definitely putting valuable resources there.

And I would argue they have a set up in place.

Murphy is $9M/yr, but can be cut this off-season if they find a better option. 

Star is $10M/yr but can be cut after 2020.
Hughes is also expensive but can be cut after the 2020 season.

I do believe they’ll bring Shaq back.

I also believe they’ll spend another $8-$20M on a free agent (I’m not sure how hard they want to go, or who they like, so it could vary greatly, they could go after a Vic Beasley for $6-$8 per year, or Ngakoue for $18-$20 per year.)

i also believe they’ll draft an edge in round 1 or 2. 

They’ve made quality additions to this team at Corner, Safety, Linebackers. 

On offense they’ve re-done the entire group. And made the playoffs while converting an old expensive roster into a young cheap one.

I think it’s a good sign that they’ll make quality improvements on the edge this off-season as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

How often does copycatting work? Follow your own path. We have a good one. 

As long as that path includes bringing in a play maker at WR.

For the record, I like the path we're on. It's gonna come down to the QB, but that's true of every team (except the Dilfer Ravens).