Luke Kuechly Interested in Coaching

JGMcD2

On 1/20/2020 at 11:19 AM, Mr. WEO said:

In the past 30 years that list has maybe 2 great players as coaches (Ditka, Singletary) and 1 very good (Harbaugh).  Either way..26 in 50 years.

That list neglects position coaches and coordinators though.  There’s no Gill Byrd, Leslie Frazier, Edgar Bennett, etc.  Then there are the guys who do not want to deal with the NFL grind and coach at the HS level instead: Mike Alstott, Kurt Warner, Terrence Mathis, Jon Kitna, Jeff Saturday, Mark Brunell, etc. A lot of these guys retire, get the bug, and start coaching high school. A few like Mike Singletary, Bennett, etc then move back to the NFL after their kids are older if the passion grows. It tends to be a different time table than the backups. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That list neglects position coaches and coordinators though.  There’s no Gill Byrd, Leslie Frazier, Edgar Bennett, etc.  Then there are the guys who do not want to deal with the NFL grind and coach at the HS level instead: Mike Alstott, Kurt Warner, Terrence Mathis, Jon Kitna, Jeff Saturday, Mark Brunell, etc. A lot of these guys retire, get the bug, and start coaching high school. A few like Mike Singletary, Bennett, etc then move back to the NFL after their kids are older if the passion grows. It tends to be a different time table than the backups. 

Yes  I was discussing NFL HC's, so I Ieft out high school, Pop Warner and other levels of football coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

This article is from January, and I believe it was recently reported he was going to Carolina to learn how to be a scout, not a coach.  It’s actually a smart move as that is a nice path to GM vs. the insane hours for coaching.  I’m not saying scouting and administration is easy, but working you’re way up the coaching ranks is brutal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1