Luke Kuechly Interested in Coaching

JGMcD2

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's was a 30-second Google search.   I'm sure a little more digging would come up with a longer list.   LBs and defensive players also seem more successful as coaches than offensive guys, based on that quick scan of the Interwebs. 

BTW, are you dyspeptic by nature or did you perfect it over time?   Asking for a friend...

Those were the best over 50 years.  Said so right in the title.  The article proves the exceptions, not the rule.

Pointing that out to you as a way of disagreeing with you certainly does not give me (or anyone, I would imagine) dyspepsia.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Kuechly had a lot of nice things to say about Tremaine after their practice in preseason. If nothing else have him spend some time with Tremaine on his approach to film study. Kuechly was notorious for logging film time and notes on offensive players, systems, and coaches. 

Kuechly is arguably one of the smartest LB's to ever play in the NFL. he reads the eyes of a QB better than most DB's in the league. 

he would be an amazing coach and future DC 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting quotes from Beane in MMQB...

...from Bills GM Brandon Beane, who was director of football operations and assistant GM in Carolina during Kuechly’s first six years. “He’s the rare guy who had it all,” said Beane. “He’s super smart, his instincts are a 12 on a scale of 1–10 and his work ethic’s at the same level. And it’s very rare that someone with the instincts, smarts and athleticism he had still has drive like he did. On Thursday nights during the week, I’d walk down there and he’s got every linebacker still there with them, teaching them how to watch film, what to look for. The coaches would be gone, and I’d see them grabbing food that was set out for the coaches and going back to work. I don’t know many like him. Usually people that have the talent might not have the same drive. So he had the whole thing and he wanted to help others.” 

To that end, Beane remembered a good example of that from the 2015 NFC title game. Kuechly picked the ball off and ran it all the way back—the game was pretty much done, the Panthers were going to the Super Bowl. And as he ran through the end zone, a fan who was, let’s say, overserved tumbled from the stands. Instead of celebrating, Kuechly stopped, went over, and helped the guy back to his seat. “That’s Luke Kuechly in a nutshell,” said Beane. And maybe the highest compliment Beane could give Kuechly—in 2018, as badly as he and Sean McDermott wanted find a quarterback for the offense, they just as much wanted one for their defense, because they saw the difference a good one could make. Which is part of why they traded up for Tremaine Edmunds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/21/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-mike-kafka-nick-bosa-nfl-news-notes

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/18/2020 at 2:58 PM, RiotAct said:

Come to daddy.

I mean, Buffalo.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/22/buffalo-bills-brandon-beane-potential-coach-luke-kuechly/

With the front office’s connection to the Carolina Panthers, the Buffalo Bills would undoubtedly love to add linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Well that’s not happening, considering Kuechly retired from playing pro football last week after eight seasons.

“(Kuechly is) the rare guy who had it all,” Beane said. “He’s super smart, his instincts are a 12 on a scale of 1–10 and his work ethic’s at the same level. And it’s very rare that someone with the instincts, smarts and athleticism he had still has drive like he did. On Thursday nights during the week, I’d walk down there and he’s got every linebacker still there with them, teaching them how to watch film, what to look for.”

scooped again by Yolo 

note to self ....  read current pages firth then post 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Saw that Kuechly doesn’t want to completely leave football behind and he’s specifically interested in coaching. I’m going to do everyone’s favorite thing and make the McDermott - Carolina connection. 

Bob Babich is a great coach but bringing Kuechly in as an assistant could help Tremaine take another huge leap this year. This would be really cool to see. 

EDIT: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/luke-kuechly-eyeing-coachingconsulting-gig

I read that Rhule has asked him to be a part of his coaching staff working with the linebackers .

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/12/luke-kuechly-looking-for-a-way-to-stay-involved-with-football/

‘Luke Kuechly looking for a way to stay involved with football’

Kuechly told Tirico he hopes to “find a way to stay involved in football somehow.” He mentioned coaching, a front office role and broadcasting as possibilities and discussed seeing Jason Witten, Tony Romo and Ronde Barber in the latter role as something that held some appeal.

“Those guys, you can tell that they played at a high level and they still have the ability to stay involved with the game,” Kuechly said. “I think that part is something that’s attractive to me just in the sense that they played it and are still involved it in an interesting role.”

Kuechly also said he’s discussed coaching with former teammate and current Panthers special teams coordinator Chase Blackburn, who told him it felt like the closest he could come to actually playing the game. Kuechly didn’t say whether he had any offers in either area, but Panthers head coach Matt Rhule did say in January that he’d want Kuechly on his staff at some point.

He’d be better off here than in Carolina. I think it is hard to transition from a player to a coach in the same place. You now become sort of in charge of your peers. Although there are a good number of his former peers here. But because of his intelligence and understanding of the game, it would seem like he’d be the kind of guy that would excel as a future coach. If I were first starting out as a coach and wanted to learn from guys it doesn’t get much better than Sean McDermott, Leslie Frazier, Bob Babich. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/18/2020 at 3:37 PM, Don Otreply said:

So, on a scale of 1-10, ten being the most likely, how likely is Buffalo his landing spot?

Hopefully a 12. Is there any rule against having a player / coach in the NFL,  like they did back in the day with baseball? Plus he doesn't even need to be a starter he can be Edmunds backup / coach 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On January 20, 2020 at 11:19 AM, Mr. WEO said:

In the past 30 years that list has maybe 2 great players as coaches (Ditka, Singletary) and 1 very good (Harbaugh).  Either way..26 in 50 years.

Patriots fan forgot Vrabel?  Or was he UN-personed for daring to knock you out of the playoffs?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Patriots fan forgot Vrabel?  Or was he UN-personed for daring to knock you out of the playoffs?

Not to mention there are plenty of guys who became good position coaches or coordinators if not necessarily head coaches. Pepper Johnson, Jim Haslett, Herman Edwards, Tony Dungy, Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Mike Munchak, Mike Mularkey, Dan Reeves, Jack Del Rio, Dick Jauron, Jason Garrett, Tom Landry, Art Shell, Jeff Fisher, Todd Bowles, Tom Flores, Doug Pederson, Bill Cowher, Don Shula. I'm sure there are more.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The page just popped to the front today.  But you're not paranoid......just because everyone is out to get you.

Not paranoid.  Hats off to a poster who takes his fetish to its zenith.  HOF'er.....

• 1 month later...