Luke Kuechly Interested in Coaching

JGMcD2

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A point that perhaps that is not the example we want our best players to follow, to retire in only 8 years at the age of 28.

Well I doubt he would talk them into it... usually your employer wants you hyping whatever product they are selling...

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

Cant hurt, he would be like the veteran presence McD likes to have at each position. Also being a McDermott guy you know he is a hard working intelligent guy and would make a great coach.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, Lurker said:

I'd expect him to be in demand by the 'Skins as well...

Have to believe working for the Pegula s would be a better situation than Schneider

From today's Peter King piece.   It immediately made me think of Edmunds and what a great coach Kuechly would be for a young LB corps here in Buffalo:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/20/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-49ers-super-bowl-liv-fmia-peter-king/

King:   Three years ago, I went to Charlotte to record a podcast conversation with Kuechly. My favorite part of the pod was when I asked: What advice would you have for young linebackers who want to play like Luke Kuechly?

Kuechly:  “I think the biggest thing is being able to get off blocks and shed (Edmunds biggest weakness).  That’s engaging and disengaging, so use of hands and understanding where to strike offensive lineman. You get ‘em in the chest and you get their hands off you. Because if you’re blocked, you can’t make plays. So that’s the biggest thing. You gotta just separate for just a second. You don’t have to throw him, you just gotta get off him. Use of hands is the biggest thing.

“The second thing is effort. Just play hard (which is Edmunds greatest strength). As a linebacker, if you’re running, if you’re playing hard, you’re gonna be in the right spot more times than not. You’re gonna make a lot of plays. That’s one of the biggest things that I’ve learned: Playing hard and effort beats everything else."

22 hours ago, yungmack said:

The obvious place to break in is Carolina, where he lives and has been connected all these years, the way KW did here last season. 

He’s not connected with anyone there anymore on the staff, it’s a new scheme, Etc. Nothing tying him to the Panthers except his legacy as a player. The more obvious place to break in would be anywhere that the coaches and defensive system he played in is currently. His wife is a doctor in the Charlotte area though, could be an issue. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not connected with anyone there anymore on the staff, it’s a new scheme, Etc. Nothing tying him to the Panthers except his legacy as a player. The more obvious place to break in would be anywhere that the coaches and defensive system he played in is currently. His wife is a doctor in the Charlotte area though, could be an issue. 

Agreed.  Breaking away from his legacy in Charlotte would give him more freedom to just focus on coaching and personal growth.   

Buffalo would be ideal.   We have a great medical system here, so his wife would have many options.   He and his wife are devout Catholics, so we check the box on that aspect of their life.   And finally, what better place for a young family (2-year old twin boys) to grow up... 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This type of thing gets posted a lot--great NFL players coaching.

How often has it happened?

After they retire, most players don't want to put in the hours it takes to move into coaching.   Kuechly seems like the kind of guy who would, just like these guys...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/869309-top-26-former-nfl-players-turned-coaches#slide24

49 minutes ago, Lurker said:

After they retire, most players don't want to put in the hours it takes to move into coaching.   Kuechly seems like the kind of guy who would, just like these guys...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/869309-top-26-former-nfl-players-turned-coaches#slide24

In the past 30 years that list has maybe 2 great players as coaches (Ditka, Singletary) and 1 very good (Harbaugh).  Either way..26 in 50 years.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the past 30 years that list has maybe 2 great players as coaches (Ditka, Singletary) and 1 very good (Harbaugh).  Either way..26 in 50 years.

That's was a 30-second Google search.   I'm sure a little more digging would come up with a longer list.   LBs and defensive players also seem more successful as coaches than offensive guys, based on that quick scan of the Interwebs. 

BTW, are you dyspeptic by nature or did you perfect it over time?   Asking for a friend...

• Haha (+1) 2

I would expect him to take a year off, heal up and relax. 
If Hines Ward can coach and for the Jets no less kuechly can probably latch on anywhere he feels is his best chance to progress and climb the tree. Everyone has a shot, but Rivera has to be the front runner. His players mostly loved him. 

53 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this would be a fantastic addition.  Just great.  you have a guy who can take over as LB coach, and then if anyone poaches Frazier, could perhaps be a DC in a few years.  

how do you know this? 

• Like (+1) 1