Luke Kuechly Interested in Coaching

JGMcD2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hypothetically it sounds like a great idea but generally the best players don't make good coaches

There are a laundry list of reasons why but Luke being a great player doenst guarentee he will be a great coach

That's where Bob Babich would come in my opinion.  Let Babich do the brunt of the coaching while letting Kuechly learn the ropes - while also giving Tremaine and Milano (Dodson?) some pointers.  Could see a situation similar to how Kyle was giving Ed Oliver pointers - except Kuechly would be an assistant coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

@Sherlock Holmes

Idk wats so confusing,  it's been widely held for a long time that the best players don't make great coaches.. it's not a guarantee

Players like Frank Reich who were career backups and saw the game from a different lens make great coaches historically

Not guys like Jim Kelly and Michael Jordan or Luke Kuechly 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Saw that Kuechly doesn’t want to completely leave football behind and he’s specifically interested in coaching. I’m going to do everyone’s favorite thing and make the McDermott - Carolina connection. 

Bob Babich is a great coach but bringing Kuechly in as an assistant could help Tremaine take another huge leap this year. This would be really cool to see. 

EDIT: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/luke-kuechly-eyeing-coachingconsulting-gig

INteresting

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hypothetically it sounds like a great idea but generally the best players don't make good coaches

There are a laundry list of reasons why but Luke being a great player doenst guarentee he will be a great coach

Depends somewhat on his makeup as a player, for sure.  Is he one of those guys who just does, and can't tell you what and why?  Was he a brilliant film watcher?  I would think McDermott would be in a great position to know those things.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

INteresting

Depends somewhat on his makeup as a player, for sure.  Is he one of those guys who just does, and can't tell you what and why?  Was he a brilliant film watcher?  I would think McDermott would be in a great position to know those things.

While those are all true it's also more complicated than that

His football IQ and intangibles can be off the charts but when the play takes off his instincts kick in and he just does

Most of the greats we're great because of something special inside of them .. something you can't measure or teach

Most of the stuff Luke did 99% of the world can't do .. he was just insanely blessed to be able to do it

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

While those are all true it's also more complicated than that

His football IQ and intangibles can be off the charts but when the play takes off his instincts kick in and he just does

Most of the greats we're great because of something special inside of them .. something you can't measure or teach

Most of the stuff Luke did 99% of the world can't do .. he was just insanely blessed to be able to do it

I guess what I was getting at is, he may not be able to teach what he does physically and how he reacts, but he may still be able to coach what he sees on film from opponents, what he's keying on.

The example in my mind is Bruce Smith.  No how no way could Bruce have coached someone physically.  Darryl Talley said it, he tried to copy some of Bruce's moves and gave it up quickly concluding they were not realistic for normal human beings.  But Bruce was a brilliant and obsessive film watcher.  He could tell another player what he was looking for and picking up on film to give him an edge.

That kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess what I was getting at is, he may not be able to teach what he does physically and how he reacts, but he may still be able to coach what he sees on film from opponents, what he's keying on.

The example in my mind is Bruce Smith.  No how no way could Bruce have coached someone physically.  Darryl Talley said it, he tried to copy some of Bruce's moves and gave it up quickly concluding they were not realistic for normal human beings.  But Bruce was a brilliant and obsessive film watcher.  He could tell another player what he was looking for and picking up on film to give him an edge.

That kind of thing.

Of course that kind of thing he can pick up on... But so could the majority of all NFL coaches

I think Luke was a tremendous player physically and instinctually

But you really can't give your instincts to other players unfortunately all you can do is try and help

I don't doubt that Luke would be good in the film room tho

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

INteresting

He’s a brilliant film watcher. He didn’t get cable for like his first 4 years in the league because he didnt want to be distracted from film. And wasn’t really the most physically gifted kid coming out of HS in Cincy. Ohio state said no thanks - ran too slow At one of their camps  (soooo stupid. Went for a 5 star kid From California over him who was meh) and was super smart so went to BC. As i recall he had offers from Duke, Stanford, hometown UC which isn’t even power 5. I think Sparty too who gets leftovers. Luke was a 3 star prospect i believe... wasn’t even one of the top 30 prospects in Ohio coming out of HS.  Anyway... my point is he wasn’t highly recruited by the big programs; he worked for everything he achieved, he wasn’t born HOF like some guys. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Sherlock Holmes

Idk wats so confusing,  it's been widely held for a long time that the best players don't make great coaches.. it's not a guarantee

Players like Frank Reich who were career backups and saw the game from a different lens make great coaches historically

Not guys like Jim Kelly and Michael Jordan or Luke Kuechly 

You don't have any idea how good of a coach Kuechly will be... I do know this, I want his first coaching gig to be for the Bills

• Haha (+1) 1