I know its just PFF but still, did #97 play that poorly?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Which sucks because 1-that's something he could work on w/his bodytype if he so chose to and 2-he's really, really good in pass rush 1v1

agreed he has the body to play the run. I don’t think he has the heart too. 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Phillips run defense is flat out horrible 

Yeah, did you ever notices he "loses his footing" a lot? 

It's definitely frustrating and I would not pay him above 6-7 annually. 

Unless its a 1 year 8-8.5 million dollar prove it deal.

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, did you ever notices he "loses his footing" a lot? 

It's definitely frustrating and I would not pay him above 6-7 annually. 

Unless its a 1 year 8-8.5 million dollar prove it deal.

he does end up on the ground a lot. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Harsh but accurate imo

Willingness to do the dirty work for a DT in the trenches is valued in this system but you won't flash

yeah he should have really looked at Star and said well they gave him 10M and he just eats blocks. If I play a bit like that and still can get 5+ sacks I will really bank. 

his lack of run defense is going to give him an awakening now that Tampering has started 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:32 AM, TroutDog said:

It’s not just PFF: all of the All-22 reviews I read during the season basically said he was a liability in the run game for stretches. The Athletic pointed it out regularly. 

That is an area of his game that needs work...how to anchor, but the dude has a burst and can get upfield from the interior. In a league that prioritizes passing he has value.

Most defensive linemen are part of rotations or situational packages, not sure why he would get dinged that badly for not being the best space eater against the run.

He will get paid. If not here, somewhere else and no hard feelings.

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

That is an area of his game that needs work...how to anchor, but the dude has a burst and can get upfield from the interior. In a league that prioritizes passing he has value.

Most defensive linemen are part of rotations or situational packages, not sure why he would get dinged that badly for not being the best space eater against the run.

Jimmy G threw less than 20 passes in the last 2 play off games and the top 5 passers this year did not make the playoffs and the top 5 rushing attacks did make the playoffs, I don't know that the league prioritizes passing.

In today's NFL, you need to be able to stop the run to win and JP is definitely a liability in the run. This is why I think Shaq is pretty valuable, he was a pretty good run defender this year.

21 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Jimmy G threw less than 20 passes in the last 2 play off games and the top 5 passers this year did not make the playoffs and the top 5 rushing attacks did make the playoffs, I don't know that the league prioritizes passing.

In today's NFL, you need to be able to stop the run to win and JP is definitely a liability in the run. This is why I think Shaq is pretty valuable, he was a pretty good run defender this year.

Wont find me disagreeing with you. Strong defense and a running game that can move the sticks are still the best way to keep a strangle-hold on a lead, milk the clock, and force a passing team into mistakes and turn overs.

That being said there are a lot of teams that emphasize passing and empty sets and teams need to get to the QB.

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

He does need work on this, but he'll be 28 yrs old next September. I'm thinking he is what he is by now.

33 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He does need work on this, but he'll be 28 yrs old next September. I'm thinking he is what he is by now.

Good point.

I am not arguing to overpay, just that he is a good fit on a team that needs a guy that can get upfield on an interior pass rush rotation.

The Bills may have that covered with Oliver and Harry coming back and some feel Oliver is better vs the run.