I know its just PFF but still, did #97 play that poorly?

23 hours ago, NoSaint said:

he wasn’t awful, and he wasn’t top 3. Dude was a good rotational piece.

simple as that.
Hope they work out a deal though.

He and Harry would make a sweet rotation.
Lets get Stars contract in line and draft or udfa his replacement

44 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Was Phillips a bit overrated after this season? Yes.

Was he truly anywhere near as poor as the 150 something best DT in the game? Goodness no.

Does PFF compare 3 tech and 1 tech stats under the same measure? IDK

I watch the whole league being a football junkie that I am... I'd put him somewhere around top 25 to 35 DT's this season based on his intelligence at the position and productivity. We play a scheme that calls for a constant team effort, which is going to really skew some folks stats (different players year to year). I'd like to retain him for sure! but not at top 10 DT money is all.

Watching games is best.

Statistical review is just a reference point.
McD plays a rotation as we all know.

The idea is that some one stands out each down , when all of them do their job.

This is where Jordan is in error with his comments. He is putting himself above the Team.

Wonder how Ed feels about that?

19 hours ago, costrovs said:

You realize that moving him from 3 tech to a 1 tech is literally like 3.5 feet right? I'm sure he can play it just fine, and put up better numbers than Star.

9.5 sacks and 13 TFL says he can push the pocket better than anyone else on this team.

Most DT's do bad against double teams.

No offense but this is nonsense.

20 hours ago, costrovs said:

You realize that moving him from 3 tech to a 1 tech is literally like 3.5 feet right? I'm sure he can play it just fine, and put up better numbers than Star.

9.5 sacks and 13 TFL says he can push the pocket better than anyone else on this team.

Most DT's do bad against double teams.

Yikes. That’s not how it works at all. Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Really?

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yikes. That’s not how it works at all. Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line. 

Yes and no. In this whole discussion, we're talking about whether or not Jordan can do a better job than Star at the 1 tech. If you think Star can do better than Jordan at the 1 tech, go ahead and explain that to me.

1 minute ago, costrovs said:

Really?

Yes and no. In this whole discussion, we're talking about whether or not Jordan can do a better job than Star at the 1 tech. If you think Star can do better than Jordan at the 1 tech, go ahead and explain that to me.

sure. I think Star plays the 1 better than Jordan because that’s Star’s position, and it’s not Phillips’ position. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

sure. I think Star plays the 1 better than Jordan because that’s Star’s position, and it’s not Phillips’ position. 

Can you give me a better explanation than that?

You can't sit there and say 'Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line'

then give me a 3rd grade answer man.

2 minutes ago, costrovs said:

You can't sit there and say 'Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line'

Put simply, their roles are completely different. Because they're asked to do different things, the skillsets and size requirements are completely different. There’s a few tweener guys that can play both. Neither of these guys are those.

22 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Its all about the money.  For a reasonable deal sign him up, top 10 pay for his position no thanks...

Considering that to be a top 10 player at his position by aav he would have to get a deal at around 10.5 to 11.5 million. That would be too much for my blood. I think Phillips is a very good interior pass rusher, his sack numbers were a bit circumstantial he still made a lot of big plays and got pressure up the middle often. If I had to peg his fair value I would say it would be at about 7.5 million aav that is easy to get out of after 2021. But I think adjusting for the free agency overpay I think his value appropriate to the team is at about 8.5ish million that is easy to get out after 2021. 

I think once you start to get above 9 million aav I am out. I think 9 million aav is a bit outside of what you want to pay but you would consider it. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Put overly simply, it’s not just a difference in where the guys line up, it’s a difference in expected role which leads to a difference in skill set and technique.

The 1-tech DLman is expected to take on a double team, hold against it, and ideally push them into the backfield.

The 3-tech DLman is expected to beat a single blocker and penetrate into the backfield.  Typically he’s a somewhat smaller, nimbler DL.  I realize “small” and “nimble aren’t words that come to mind when you look at BigJ9797, but work with me here.

You can have two 1-techs lined up next to each other, but usually in McD’s scheme it’s a 1-tech next to a 3-tech

There were times after Harrison Phillips was IR’d when it became clear Peko wasn’t cutting it in the rotation and Jordan Phillips was asked to play a bit of 1-tech, but it really isn’t his thing and it was clearly a stopgap.  That’s when we signed Corey Liuget.  So No, we can’t just cut Star and ask Jordan Phillips to move over and take on his role, it’s not his thing.  

It’s kind of like asking a RT to become a pulling guard.  You might find one who has the versatility, but don’t expect it just because the guy moves over 3 feet closer to the center.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Put overly simply, it’s not just a difference in where the guys line up, it’s a difference in expected role which leads to a difference in skill set and technique.

The 1-tech DLman is expected to take on a double team, hold against it, and ideally push them into the backfield.

The 3-tech DLman is expected to beat a single blocker and penetrate into the backfield.  Typically he’s a somewhat smaller, nimbler DL.  I realize “small” and “nimble aren’t words that come to mind when you look at BigJ9797, but work with me here.

You can have two 1-techs lined up next to each other, but usually in McD’s scheme it’s a 1-tech next to a 3-tech

There were times after Harrison Phillips was IR’d when it became clear Peko wasn’t cutting it in the rotation and Jordan Phillips was asked to play a bit of 1-tech, but it really isn’t his thing and it was clearly a stopgap.  That’s when we signed Corey Liuget.  So No, we can’t just cut Star and ask Jordan Phillips to move over and take on his role, it’s not his thing.  

It’s kind of like asking a RT to become a pulling guard.  You might find one who has the versatility, but don’t expect it just because the guy moves over 3 feet closer to the center.

Nice, I agree with all that. 

Except, that when talking about Star at 1-tech, he doesn't get double teamed as much as Oliver, and Star isn't good at getting into the backfield.

Just because Star is playing 1 tech doesn't mean the opposing o-line is gonna double team him.

Which is why I said Jordan can do a better job than star at the 1-tech. which he has and does.

The reason why the 1-tech is expected to take on double teams, is because 1-tech's are better suited for big guys such as Jordan. But, again Star doesn't get double teamed as much as people realize. The OL is to busy double teaming Oliver.

Everything that you wrote and that I put in bold, reiterates the reason why Jordan played better and is better suited at 1-tech than Star. 

Hell, Oliver too. and even Harry played better than Star(at 1-tech) in his limited time on the field. So as far as that goes they can all replace Star. Jordan is just better suited for it than Oliver or Harry because he's 6'6 340 lb's. 

As far as McD's scheme goes, you'r right. usually it is a 1 and 3. He's played 3 and 3 multiple times a game also where he has 2 linebackers come up over the middle covering the 1 and 1, but the linebackers usually back off when the ball is snapped. Regardless, having Oliver/Jordan playing the DT spots, is better than having Star playing a DT spot. which was my point, regardless of whether its 1 or 3, Jordan plays better than Star. Stars replaceable, and Jordan can replace him on the roster. It's that simple regardless of where Star is lined up.

And, Jordan has stated before that he wants to be here. He wants to be a bill.

And, there is a potential out in Star's contract after this season. This will be his last year in a bills uni. Bill's will cut him after the season. You can bank on that.

7 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Except, that when talking about Star at 1-tech, he doesn't get double teamed as much as Oliver, and Star isn't good at getting into the backfield.

Just because Star is playing 1 tech doesn't mean the opposing o-line is gonna double team him.

Which is why I said Jordan can do a better job than star at the 1-tech. which he has and does.

The reason why the 1-tech is expected to take on double teams, is because 1-tech's are better suited for big guys such as Jordan. But, again Star doesn't get double teamed as much as people realize. The OL is to busy double teaming Oliver.

Everything that you wrote and that I put in bold, reiterates the reason why Jordan played better and is better suited at 1-tech than Star. 

Hell, Oliver too. and even Harry played better than Star(at 1-tech) in his limited time on the field. So as far as that goes they can all replace Star. Jordan is just better suited for it than Oliver or Harry because he's 6'6 340 lb's. 

As far as McD's scheme goes, you'r right. usually it is a 1 and 3. He's played 3 and 3 multiple times a game also where he has 2 linebackers come up over the middle covering the 1 and 1, but the linebackers usually back off when the ball is snapped. Regardless, having Oliver/Jordan playing the DT spots, is better than having Star playing a DT spot. which was my point, regardless of whether its 1 or 3, Jordan plays better than Star. Stars replaceable, and Jordan can replace him on the roster. It's that simple regardless of where Star is lined up.

And, there is a potential out in Star's contract after this season. This will be his last year in a bills uni. Bill's will cut him after the season. You can bank on that.

Please go read all the threads on DTs. The vast majority of this is completely wrong and has been thoroughly discussed in great detail elsewhere.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

By costrovs thinking, we could move Spain a couple of feet to his left and he could play LT as well as Dawkins.  

I stopped replying when he posted that nonsense.

I don't think Jordan will be here next year. Someone will pay more than we're willing to. We can't pay someone that much who won't even start for us. Unless our staff feels he can handle Star's position. I mean it is only 3.5 ft different. ?

Edited by Dopey
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, costrovs said:

See, this is where it gets tough.  You chided @JoPoy88 "You can't sit there and say 'Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line' then give me a 3rd grade answer man.". 

So I gave you a simple but essentially correct answer that's a bit more than 3rd grade, you say you agree, and then you say a bunch more stuff that shows it whooshed completely over your head.  You really need to read about the roles of different DLmen.  It's about who the lineman is supposed to take on, not just about who the offense assigns to block them, and no, Jordan Phillips is not better suited to play 1-tech just because he's a big guy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, costrovs said:

1. you're right, it can be give. but everyone knows it's really pass. all the other youtube videos say pass, not give. 

2. my bad, i dont use the forums that much, that was meant for Hapless, saying that Harry/Star rotated, which can only be the case for the first 3 games this year, because Harry went to IR. So that wasn't the rotation for the season. 

3. C'mon man, Star is useless. They hardly ever double team him, he's too fat and slow. 

He's not getting much playing time for being starter, and that's with Harry on IR, I'm sure he'll be playing less once Harry comes back. Plus, according to spotrac.com their is a 'potential out' in his contract after 2020 season. I'm sure this will be his last season in a Bills uni.

Star - only 8 games this season with over 50% of the snaps

Jordan - 11 

Oliver - 9 over 50%, 12 including games at exactly 50%

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8wscdKgigA

Star is a two-down guy. But he's a two-down guy who gets the job done that they want done.

He is still doing what they want from him, same as he did in Carolina, eating space, taking up blockers. He doesn't run up stats, but they've made it clear, players and coaches, that what he does is valuable and they like how he does it.

And it simply isn't true that he doesn't get doubled much. He does, particularly when teams are going to try to run through the middle. And he does a good job taking up those doubles.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, this is where it gets tough.  You chided @JoPoy88 "You can't sit there and say 'Believe it or not, there’s more to it than simply where the tackle lines up on the line' then give me a 3rd grade answer man.". 

So I gave you a simple but essentially correct answer that's a bit more than 3rd grade, you say you agree, and then you say a bunch more stuff that shows it whooshed completely over your head.  You really need to read about the roles of different DLmen.  It's about who the lineman is supposed to take on, not just about who the offense assigns to block them, and no, Jordan Phillips is not better suited to play 1-tech just because he's a big guy.

The problem is you went above 3rd grade level. Way over his head.

35 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Star is a two-down guy. But he's a two-down guy who gets the job done that they want done.

He is still doing what they want from him, same as he did in Carolina, eating space, taking up blockers. He doesn't run up stats, but they've made it clear, players and coaches, that what he does is valuable and they like how he does it.

And it simply isn't true that he doesn't get doubled much. He does, particularly when teams are going to try to run through the middle. And he does a good job taking up those doubles.

Part of the 1-tech thing is that the lineman is in a position that enables him to "take up" two lineman if that's part of the play design.

The linemen may not want to double-team him.  It's his job to occupy them anyway, whether or not they want to be occupied, keep them off the LB, and keep them from opening a gap an RB can squirt through.  Hopefully push them into the backfield where the QB then has to worry about not tripping on his own guys.

Now Star has his faults.  But that doesn't mean a different big guy who doesn't play that role ('cuz it's not his thing) in Phillips would do it better.

(I'm not talking to you particularly here, or disagreeing with what you wrote, I'm intending to expand a bit because I see confusion between the defender's role and the offenses blocking assignments.)

On 1/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, Da webster guy said:

The sack numbers were great, but even if PFF is a joke, there has to be SOME merit in their analysis no?

PFF gives Jordan Phillips an overall grade of 51.8, which ranks 153rd out of 197 defensive linemen in the league. His pass-rush grade of 60.5 ranks 94th among defensive linemen. Of Phillips' 583 snaps in 2019, 362 were in pass rush (putting him 40th among D-linemen) and 218 were against the run, according to PFF. He played 52.4% of the Bills' defensive snaps.

PFF is  more accurate than 90% of the posters in here.

90% of the posters in here think they are part of that other  10%....lol

Edited by papazoid
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Jordan Phillips has had 1 solid year, plus last year which was good.... more of a role guy, this year he proved himself more so.

That being said I think his value is around $7-8M per.... he’s been healthy. With Stars And his large contract  being gone after next season I see the Bills offering a 4 year $30-32M, that’s roughly 8 per, which I think is at the top of his market, don’t think he’ll get a better offer.