I know its just PFF but still, did #97 play that poorly?

The sack numbers were great, but even if PFF is a joke, there has to be SOME merit in their analysis no?

PFF gives Jordan Phillips an overall grade of 51.8, which ranks 153rd out of 197 defensive linemen in the league. His pass-rush grade of 60.5 ranks 94th among defensive linemen. Of Phillips' 583 snaps in 2019, 362 were in pass rush (putting him 40th among D-linemen) and 218 were against the run, according to PFF. He played 52.4% of the Bills' defensive snaps.

The eyeball test says he was a pretty good pass rusher, but while he did make a lot of plays on his own, some of the sack production he had was the direct result of someone else pushing the play and Phillips finishing it up.  Also, in my opinion, for someone his size, he was pretty bad against the run. 

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I am not re-signing him for anything more than 7.5 at the very most.  I think he is a 6-7 million dollar player.  I think there may be a team or 2 that looks at the sack numbers and overpays him.  I don't want to be that team, especially with Horrible Harry coming back.  He was our best lineman when he was playing early.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 13

See previous thread on the, shall we say, general meaningfulness of Pffts scoring system. 

Go Bills!!! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The sack numbers were great, but even if PFF is a joke, there has to be SOME merit in their analysis no?

PFF gives Jordan Phillips an overall grade of 51.8, which ranks 153rd out of 197 defensive linemen in the league. His pass-rush grade of 60.5 ranks 94th among defensive linemen. Of Phillips' 583 snaps in 2019, 362 were in pass rush (putting him 40th among D-linemen) and 218 were against the run, according to PFF. He played 52.4% of the Bills' defensive snaps.

he wasn’t awful, and he wasn’t top 3. Dude was a good rotational piece.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The eyeball test says he was a pretty good pass rusher, but while he did make a lot of plays on his own, some of the sack production he had was the direct result of someone else pushing the play and Phillips finishing it up.  Also, in my opinion, for someone his size, he was pretty bad against the run. 

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I am not re-signing him for anything more than 7.5 at the very most.  I think he is a 6-7 million dollar player.  I think there may be a team or 2 that looks at the sack numbers and overpays him.  I don't want to be that team, especially with Horrible Harry coming back.  He was our best lineman when he was playing early.

Perhaps this is not what you mean, but once again, Horrible Harry(1tech) has a different role than Jordan Phillips (3tech).

I would be willing to go up in $$ a bit from that or sweeten (more guaranteed) to re-sign him because I think he's going to look over at Lotulelei and say Um Hello!

But overall, to the Bills he's a rotational DT who has limitations and who sometimes free-lances in pursuit of sacks to the detriment of the team.  Example of what I mean is vs Pittsburgh, where he drew a defensive Offside penalty.  It wasn't, but most refs are gonna call it that way and it made it 1st and 5.

To another team, he's gonna be seen as a rare penetrating 3-tech who gets sacks and you're right, he's gonna find some team that will pay him closer to his desired "chicken"

Many of his sacks and Shaq’s were poor blocking by the opponents O-lines.   They just ran straight in and plowed the QB.   I’d rather pay a guy like Hughes who gets held every play and earns his sacks. Adios Phillips. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't care about PFF rankings and 153rd out of 197 seems too low to me. But I do think he was overrated by Bills fans this year. I will say that he finishes plays well, when he gets to the QB he's going to get the sack more often than not. Which gives him gaudy sack numbers. However I don't think he makes enough plays across the board. So on a play to play basis he is replaceable. Especially in the run game, where he was terrible most of the year.

Ideally we'd be able to bring him back at a sensible price. He's good rotational depth if nothing else, and you can put him on the field on obvious passing downs. But I think some team will overpay him based on his sack numbers and I would just let him walk in that case. We drafted his replacement in the 1st round last year, he was never going to be part of the long term plan. We'll find someone cheaper that can back up Ed Oliver in the draft or free agency.

Jordan Phillips made the most of his opportunities this season to record "splash" plays that he and his agent will point to in negotiations.  The rest of us saw a guy who disappeared a lot of the time and while his energy and enthusiasm are infectious, he does not deserve to be paid at the level he seeks.

Jordan will not be a Buffalo Bill next season, I'm almost certain of it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

I'd rather keep Shaq

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Jordan Phillips made the most of his opportunities this season to record "splash" plays that he and his agent will point to in negotiations.  The rest of us saw a guy who disappeared a lot of the time and while his energy and enthusiasm are infectious, he does not deserve to be paid at the level he seeks.

Jordan will not be a Buffalo Bill next season, I'm almost certain of it.

I would agree on that. Outside rush pushed a lot of it to him

Sacks are often a group effort.  If the DE's or blitzing LBs force the QB to step up in the pocket or try to run up the gut--right into the mitts of DTs, like Phillips--who's really making the play there?   

IMO, it seemed like Jordan was the beneficiary of that group effort a lot this year...

• Like (+1) 1