NBC Washington advocates following Buffalo model

31 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think I agree totally on the premise that they missed out on their QB. I am sure you are going to say Mahomes or Watson, but neither of those QB’s has won a SB yet. I think that’s  Beane and McDermott’s goal. 

Well, yes it would likely have been one of those two if they did select one in 2017. It was the team’s greatest need, and it’s unlikely they ( or anyone else) was outbidding the Bears for the right to select Trubisky. Obviously , the goal is the Super Bowl and both those QBs are closer to being a championship caliber QB than Josh Allen is. The past cannot be changed, but there is now way to think that the goal of a championship is more likely by not drafting on either those QBs. It shouldn’t be harped on, lamented or assigned to Beane and McD in any way because it truly was an error by ownership. It doesn’t diminish what the GM and Coach have  done with the team to date. 

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

Neither of them really had to rebuild. Just retool.

Think what you want.  The Ravens turned over almost their entire offensive roster, changed QBs from Flacco to Jackson.  Let call that a re-tool. 

36 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, yes it would likely have been one of those two if they did select one in 2017. It was the team’s greatest need, and it’s unlikely they ( or anyone else) was outbidding the Bears for the right to select Trubisky. Obviously , the goal is the Super Bowl and both those QBs are closer to being a championship caliber QB than Josh Allen is. The past cannot be changed, but there is now way to think that the goal of a championship is more likely by not drafting on either those QBs. It shouldn’t be harped on, lamented or assigned to Beane and McD in any way because it truly was an error by ownership. It doesn’t diminish what the GM and Coach have  done with the team to date. 

As far as closer teams I will say yes to Mahomes with Andy in KC. Watson will have to wait on another coach and GM for his shot. 
I think Beane and McDermott had a plan and stuck to it. They weren’t in the market for a QB in 2017. I think they wanted to extra year to build the team more before starting the clock on the rookie QB salary.

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They should look to copy the Bills — yes, the Bills — during their rebuild

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-should-look-copy-bills-yes-bills-during-their-rebuild

McCoy?  I agree about Sammy but not LeSean.  They moved on from selfish players early in process not later.  They moved on from him for mostly inactive T.J. Yeldon but that was not reason.

The article seems a little 'off' for a couple reasons. It reads like the writer thinks it's impressive that Rivera made changes to the coaching staff...uhh..yea...of course he did. Every HC ever hired makes changes to the coaching staff. They're off base on McCoy too. While he may have had some off the fields stuff, I never read anything about him being a 'problem' player or that anyone felt he was chasing personal goals over team goals. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Think what you want.  The Ravens turned over almost their entire offensive roster, changed QBs from Flacco to Jackson.  Let call that a re-tool. 

Yes, they turned over a fair amount of the roster largely due to aging. They had a successful program and HC in place, but their excellent teams of the 2010s got old. That happens, and the Ravens have done a great job. Their task was not as huge as reinventing a floundering franchise that had no direction, no leadership and no successful platform on which to build. To say they had a head start is an understatement. For all their regular season success, they’ve been a one and done in the playoffs twice. The same as McD, Beane and Co. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

As far as closer teams I will say yes to Mahomes with Andy in KC. Watson will have to wait on another coach and GM for his shot. 
I think Beane and McDermott had a plan and stuck to it. They weren’t in the market for a QB in 2017. I think they wanted to extra year to build the team more before starting the clock on the rookie QB salary.

The Bills  weren’t in the market for a QB in 2017 because they hadn’t yet dismissed Whaley, who was on his way out. Beane wasn’t here yet, so he had nothing to do with it directly. McD didn’t want an extra year, he just wanted the GM to have a say in the QB selection. Made sense, but a missed opportunity by the Pegulas with their procedural misstep. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills  weren’t in the market for a QB in 2017 because they hadn’t yet dismissed Whaley, who was on his way out. Beane wasn’t here yet, so he had nothing to do with it directly. McD didn’t want an extra year, he just wanted the GM to have a say in the QB selection. Made sense, but a missed opportunity by the Pegulas with their procedural misstep. 

Are you sure McD didn’t want an extra year? I don’t think either of us really know exactly why it happened the way it did. 

I'm not 100% sure this is THE model to copy, but it's a model to copy. There are some problems implementing it...

-Sean is a Christian and emphasizes the team, process, and believing in each other, that's not easily replicable

-Really knows defense and can take over playcalling with a good history of success

-Makes his team believe in him

I don't know how to "replicate" which is 50% mind and 50% heart.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Are you sure McD didn’t want an extra year? I don’t think either of us really know exactly why it happened the way it did. 

Whaley was dismissed almost immediately after the draft. You don’t pass on drafting a franchise QB because of a salary. Any GM worth having will want a say in choosing their rookie QB, so I understand the wait. It was still a costly error by the fairly green owners, though. 

52 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

I'm not 100% sure this is THE model to copy, but it's a model to copy. There are some problems implementing it...

-Sean is a Christian and emphasizes the team, process, and believing in each other, that's not easily replicable

-Really knows defense and can take over playcalling with a good history of success

-Makes his team believe in him

I don't know how to "replicate" which is 50% mind and 50% heart.

I don’t think being a Christian has any bearing on things. By all accounts Rivera is one of the good guys in the NFL, so that part may be replicable. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Is redskins really censored?  ?

Nope.  So what was censored in that article?

Probably is by liberal media standards. NBC ( MSNBC) seems to fit that profile. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think being a Christian has any bearing on things. By all accounts Rivera is one of the good guys in the NFL, so that part may be replicable.

You really don't think a lot of what Sean does that other coaches don't do is because of Christianity? I can assure you that is. Think of how he treated Peterman.

Our worldview is shaped by our ideology. I'm sure if you listen to Sean with the players (as I have in behind the scenes stuff) it's a lot of who he is and a lot of how he unifies things in his "process". I do agree with your with Rivera.

40 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

You really don't think a lot of what Sean does that other coaches don't do is because of Christianity? I can assure you that is. Think of how he treated Peterman.

Our worldview is shaped by our ideology. I'm sure if you listen to Sean with the players (as I have in behind the scenes stuff) it's a lot of who he is and a lot of how he unifies things in his "process". I do agree with your with Rivera.

With Sean I think that it is. I don’t think you need to be a Christian ( or subscribe to any religion for that matter)  to be a good human though, and that was my intended point. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

What is this "behind the scenes stuff," of which you speak?

23 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They should look to copy the Bills — yes, the Bills — during their rebuild

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-should-look-copy-bills-yes-bills-during-their-rebuild

McCoy?  I agree about Sammy but not LeSean.  They moved on from selfish players early in process not later.  They moved on from him for mostly inactive T.J. Yeldon but that was not reason.

You’re not sure why they moved on from Mccoy it can be one of many reasons, including multiple reasons.  One of which, may have been his attitude